The Exorcist

Discussion in 'The Classics - Films' started by Frozen, Aug 18, 2009.

?

What an excellent day for an exorcism

1. 10

42.1%
  2. 9

26.3%
  3. 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 7

10.5%
  5. 6

10.5%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

5.3%
  8. 3

5.3%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Frozen

Frozen I Play The Streetlife

[​IMG]

So no thread here for "the scariest film ever made"?? I watched it again this evening and while I wouldn't say it's scary, it's definitely a powerful movie.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  2. Toyah

Toyah LOON PANTS

I was JUST thinking about posting this thread :o

My #1 movie of ALL time. Looking forward to the Blu-Ray.

3. That One

That One User

Saw this at the cinema in 1998 when they "unbanned" it.

Had been dreaming of the day for 8 years, but it was a bit disappointing. I saw it with a late night Friday audience who were clearly bored for the looooong talky bits, and were screaming and laughing at all the possession scenes.

I prefer Exorcist III.

4. Toyah

Toyah LOON PANTS

To be pedantic, it was never banned from cinemas. You could always catch a midnight showing of it. The version released to cinemas in '98 was the remastered 25th anniversary version in preperation for the video and DVD release.

5. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

On C5 now.

It's making me chuckle more than anything, but I can see why it was so explosive and it's very good for what it is.

The devil has such a camp voice though!

6. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

The bits where the bed rocks and where she gets flung up and down look so cheesy now. :D but there are some great scenes and shots in there, and the atmosphere is still there...so much unease.

7. cwej

cwej User

Genuinely one of the most overrated movies of all time. It's not terrible, but it's really not good and certainly not scary. 'Don't Look Now' is my horror movie of choice from 1974.

8. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

Its GOOD but certainly not the scariest movie ever, its legacy tarnished by inferior sequels and prequels.

9. American guy

American guy User

Greatest horror ever made. Part 3 is really good and is considered by fans to be the true sequel to the first movie. I like Renny Harlins "Exorcist The Beginning" Actually Paul Schraders version of beginning is interesting in that its so different from Rennys version, its unique to have 2 versions of a film from different directors finished and for comparison, which was fun.

Rennys version is better imo, he really tries to scare with the ending and quite a few scenes are tense and welldone. Now if we could just fix those terrible CGI hyenas. :gross:

And about the hated Exorcist part 2, it has some creepy scenes. The part where the demon is trying to steal Reagans Heart, well lets just say one less pair of tighty whites as a kid :shy:

10. That One

That One User

Can't believe I gave this a 6. Just rewatched for the first time in years and it's definite full marks.

11. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

It's soooooo good.

12. Ag

Ag User

Wonderful. Possibly in my top 10 of all time.

13. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

This is probably the FUNNIEST film I have EVER seen. Not even REMOTELY terrifying. When this was re-released my friend and I went to the cinema and I don't think I have laughed so much. We did get funny looks from some of the other people there though.

14. Marilyn

Marilyn User

What gets me about it is the subliminal shots, I can handle a LOT in horror movies but stuff like that makes me so uncomfortable.

The book is even better than the film

15. jivafox

I found the way the book misses out the final confrontation in the bedroom and just goes "oh someone just went out the window" a bit of a copout after seeing the film. I guess it was intended for readers to make their own inferences to what happened, but I read it after seeing the film so I was kind of spoilt.

16. That One

That One User

Oh yes I loved the subliminal shots of Captain Howdy. There's a lot more of them in the Director's cut too.

I found it a tiny bit scary in places this time round but yes some of Regan's outbursts are laugh out loud funny.

I think I actually want to watch it again now.

17. Ag

Ag User

It's funny AND a bit scary.

It certainly set the pace of where horror could go. I always it was banned due to religious content.

I love that Linda Blair went on to star in L.A.7 :D

18. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

This was the one and only horror movie that I ever watched. I was 14, my cousin had to sleep in my bed afterwards. I've never watched anything like it since.

19. Ag

Ag User

Also there's little better than hearing a child say "cunt" and simulate masturbation with a cross.

20. That One

That One User

I'm always agog during the masturbation scene. There really isn't anything comparable to a 12 year old girl ramming a crucifix in her cunt, grabbing her mothers head and shoving it in her bloody crotch while screaming "lick me! lick me!"

21. That One

That One User

Christ Exorcist II: The Heretic has to be one of the most laughably awful films of all time.

22. jivafox

We watched that scene on Halloween and our friend who's a bit military and hard was round and he was literally agog. I've never seen anything render him so speechless :D