The Final Fantasy lounge

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by COB, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

I would say X is a good starting point, it’s visually appealing and plays like a regular FF game (unlike the newer more adventurous ones). Sure the voice acting can be a bit cringe but the story is good.

The old ones are good but the graphics can be rough and it’ll need more investment.

Cloud, Mother Superior and Diddy like this.
  2. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I mean the obvious starting point is Final Fantasy I and then work your way up but ok :tongue:

3. COB

COB DIONIN

X would be a good one to start with, I agree - plus it comes with X-2 which is the most gay-interest Final Fantasy game (all the characters are girls and you get new skills by changing outfits :disco:)

Mother Superior and Diddy like this.
  4. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe #Zengaboys

The X-2 battle system is also one of the best of the franchise. It is a shame they attached it to such a weird game otherwise.

5. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I’m glad X2 is getting some love, I liked it a lot, it had a bit of closure from X (which I love love loved). My friends never liked/played it because it was girls :manson:

6. KindaCool

KindaCool Kick Rocks. Eat dirt.

We need so many more remakes from this glorious franchise.

FF8 and 9 to the front of the line!

7. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I’m not really in for the remakes. I mean I don’t have a PS4 or 5 for a start, but I can’t play free-roaming camera games (not sure what to call them, FPS for sure but also some other stuff where the camera is following you and twirling)

So no ocarina of time, no mario 64 I guess, definitely no space marine shit.

I’d LOVE some sort of I-VI collection in some form. I mean they are beloved aren’t they? What gives?
    This does NOT mean trying to play it on an iphone

8. COB

COB DIONIN

I don't think everything needs a remake in the AAA style of VII, but V and VI only have those terrible mobile ports with the ghastly redrawn sprites so they definitely need something :( I'd like them to be remade using the Octopath Traveller style (sprites on 3D diorama style backgrounds), or maybe even something like the Trials of Mana remake though they'd have to handle that VERY carefully since it would mean adding voice acting etc.

9. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I suppose where I’m coming from is that I wanted to finish FFIV after the dodgy fake memory gave out just before the last boss, and I was happy they remade it for DS, but I did NOT like that remake :/

10. COB

COB DIONIN

Oh I didn't like that one either! There's actually an alternative remake of FFIV for the PSP which you might like better, it's essentially just the original game with better graphics and doesn't have the new systems from the DS one.

11. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

But PSP :(

12. Mats

Mats User

I've never had the stamina to delve into FF to be frank... I just downloaded a Playstation emulator for the Mac though so I am willing to make a small and slow effort to rectify that just a bit. which one should I delve into? we could also do a communal Let's Play like we did Chrono Trigger :o

13. Mats

Mats User

(I actually got the emulator to play Suikoden II so anything in that vein x)

14. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I still have my original disc as I played it from day 1 and I keep telling myself that one day I’ll play it with all the patches and DLC.

15. Lucille

Lucille Sniffing in the VIP area

Ooooh I just got up to the bit where Barret dresses as a sailor. :horny:

Cloud and COB like this.
  16. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Didn’t they say something ridiculous to defend it like “A woman wouldn’t go camping with some men. Where would they get changed!?!?”.

17. Lucille

HEY DADDY.

[​IMG]

Peekaboo and COB like this.
  18. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe #Zengaboys

Final Fantasy XV is definitely a better experience now than it was at launch, I would recommend another playthrough of the royal edition. It goes quite cheap now as well, and the DLC episodes are pretty fun especially. Though I think I would really struggle going back to it now I've played VII-R, which really nailed the combat system that XV was going for.

19. COB

COB DIONIN

Lucille likes this.
  20. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I REALLY hope so. If I wanted to play a 1 person action RPG FF is not where I’d head.

21. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I played the first two DLCs. I need another lockdown and then I’d go for it.
    What exactly has changed? The combat system was so incredibly dull.

22. COB

COB DIONIN

I think even if FFXVI does only have one playable character, I'd still expect there to be a pretty robust system for progression and customisation. Crossing my fingers for a job system :disco:

23. Mother Superior

Mother Superior Bless U and all that jazz

Thank you!

24. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe #Zengaboys

It was mostly story based changes, and you got a bit more control over the side characters if I remember rightly. Any combat changes I think were minor, unfortunately.

25. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Is the Royal Edition of FFXV available physically with all the updates included on the disc? Asking for a cheap skanky friend who is not willing to pay more than a tenner for a game with no PLAYABLE FEMALES :evil:

26. COB

COB DIONIN

There is a physical version available for PS4, not sure about other formats - I sometimes think about playing it too, as I played FFXV sort of midway through all the updates and have no idea what experience I had compared to what you'd get playing it now :D

27. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Regardless of the (frankly) A BIT OF A SHIT trailer for FFXVI, can we agree that the logo is a return to form and all kinds of :disco: ?

[​IMG]

28. Cloud

Cloud Heck

As we're seeing with VII, they can't resist meddling with remakes though. The days of "same game with new graphics" are over. And really I'd want to see updated versions of the same games (same goes for VII if I'm honest, but keeping an open mind as far as part 2 goes)

That would be terrible if it was the original NES one haha

One of the remakes, MAYBE

The original, aside from 8 bit being... quaint... you soon get very sick of attacking stuff that's already poofed and swinging your sword at the air :D

29. COB

COB DIONIN

The PSP version of the original FF is how I played it, and it's quite a nice update - the gameplay has a couple of tweaks to avoid frustration (the targeting thing being the biggest one) and the graphics have been updated to be more in line with the SNES games but higher res (similar to the aforementioned FFIV port). The only thing it's really missing is a speed up and auto-battle, which they would probably include if they were making it today. They also did FFII in the same style, but I could never get into that one :(

30. The Anti-Dubsden

The Anti-Dubsden User

Meddling would definitely benefit VIII and the hideously broken junctioning system.

I think I'd support a sequel there rather than remake though. The scope for a direct plot upgrade is less than for the earlier games, but there were still plenty of post-game unresolved strands to explore (Squall/Laguna, Esthar coming out, Rinoa as a sorceress, Seifer evading justice). And also a decent supporting cast, whose characters were built up surprisingly well in the first half of the game, until after the final Edea battle at which point they were all relegated back to just making up the party numbers.

In terms of games crying out for a remake - VI. Despite a colourful presentation and a fabulous villain, it was also one of the darkest of the FF games really - waking up and exploring the new "World Of Ruin" was all kinds of :gross:

31. COB

COB DIONIN

This scene :(
    [​IMG]

32. The Anti-Dubsden

The Anti-Dubsden User

The crestfallen seagull :D

33. Lucille

I’m enjoying having poor soon to be dead Aeries on my team this time round, although I am missing sexy Red :(

34. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Suikoden II is kind of a very different kettle of fish to Final Fantasy to be honest, but if what you are wanting is a "classic" (/90s) RPG experience I'd recommend Final Fantasy VI as it's the most polished one of the 2D FFs and the story is a great epic, up there with Suiko II in my opinion. But don't put yourself through playing the PSX version if that's the only emulator you have! It has terrible loading times.

If you're talking PSX FFs only, IMO the best one is FFVII but it is NOTHING like Suiko II story-wise. The closest of the three PSX games is probably FFIX.

35. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe #Zengaboys

Excuse me while I mop myself up after watching this

COB likes this.
  36. Mats

Mats User

THANK YOU! it doesn't need to play exactly like Suiko II at all, I just want more of that cosy j-rpg feel and I reckon that FF games from the PSX era satisfy that craving. I'll have a browse...

37. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

?? Final Fantasy
    ?? Final Fantasy II
    ?? Final Fantasy III
    ?? Final Fantasy IV
    ?? Final Fantasy The After Years
    ?? Final Fantasy V
    ?? Final Fantasy VI

10 Final Fantasy VII - LOOK, it's not a 10, but my emotional attachment is a 10
    ?? Final Fantasy Tactics
    09 Final Fantasy VIII
    09 Final Fantasy IX
    09 Final Fantasy X
    05 Final Fantasy X-2
    ?? Final Fantasy XI Online
    02 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
    07 Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    10 Final Fantasy XII
    ?? Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings
    ?? Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
    ?? Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fate
    ?? Dirge of Cerberus :D
    ?? Dissidia Final Fantasy

07 Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    ?? Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
    07 Final Fantasy XIII
    ?? Final Fantasy XIII-2
    ?? Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
    ?? Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
    ?? Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
    ?? Final Fantasy Type 0
    ?? Final Fantasy Explorers
    ?? Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

08 World of Final Fantasy
    ?? Final Fantasy XV
    ?? Final Fantasy VII Remake

38. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

You've played FF Tactics Advance but not played the original FF Tactics? Go correct that CARDINAL SIN now!

COB likes this.
  39. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

The ONLY device I ever had FFT on was the iPhone. And it just never felt like the right place to play it. If it came to Switch, that would be nice. That and Tactics Ogre - Let Us Cling Together. That's meant to be amazing.

I've tried to go back to the older FF games in the DS remake style, but I really just don't have the vibe for those now. I've missed the boat on FF6 too, just didn't get on with it. I have a whole load of catching up on the latest titles though. I played a bit of FF15 Pocket Edition but really feel like I need the full fat version.

40. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I picked up Fist Fun XII: The Zodiac Age today. Looking forward to playing through it.

COB and Peekaboo like this.