The glorious implosion of the Lib Dems

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Jark, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Jark

Jark User

I think this deserves its own topic - I'm quite obsessed with the ways in which the Lib Dems have spectacularly squandered any and all goodwill post-European elections and tossed out a bunch of nonsense promises while Jo Swinson, with all the self-awareness of a frog on an acid trip, morphs gleefully into a public hate figure.

In today's news, the party has created fake newspapers in more than a dozen seats which are packaged to look like genuine independent/established publications.

Not that they're the only ones playing dirty tricks like this, but the stench of desperation radiating from Lib Dem HQ right now is quite something to behold. I don't see them taking more than 20 seats at best.

2. wurst

wurst User

They don’t seem to be getting their pro-Remain message across VERY WELL imo.

3. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I think they over shot with the whole 'revoke Article 50' without a referendum angle. Even as an ardent remainer I think that's too extreme.

Add to that the desperation tactics and the fact that Jo is so very unlikable (which I know, awful criticism to lay on a female politician, but she really is) and I agree, I think they might not get quite the boost that they could've done.

4. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

Jo Swinson is what we Scots would call a 'nippy sweetie' - although this is a term that Nicola Sturgeon used to be branded with. However Nicola has what Jo doesn't have - credibility. I am sure Jo is actually a decent person but she is hideously out of her depth and just doesn't have leadership skills. What with saying she'd be prepared to use nuclear weapons and then citing Jacinda Ardern as her favourite world leader (who is vehemently anti-nuclear power), to her hideously mismanaged election campaign and ill-thought out policies, I think this campaign is going to be pretty disastrous for the Lib Dems and I think they'll barely make any ground in their number of seats in the House of Commons.

5. octophone

octophone fucking ADMIN, bitches

:D !

Seriously tho' - what did anyone expect - she's a Tory with a yellow apron so she's envious of Tory tactics and going about things in that manner whilst expecting the Lib Dems pre-2010 audience to take her seriously.

I wouldn't be surprised if they struggled into double figures; she's been absolutely terrible in the campaign and all that anyone is taken away is that she won't work with Labour in a coalition.

BYE BITCH.

Jark likes this.
  6. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

I find it hard to be too gleeful about how badly the Lib Dems are doing at the moment. If we assume that Labour can't get a majority, then we need the Lib Dems to win certain seats that Labour can't get near to keep the Tories out. I hope the Labour voters in those seats are going to ignore Jo Swinson's constant insistence upon being terrible for long enough to tactically vote in the right way.

7. octophone

It's all working out beautifully for the Tories since Farage sold out the Brexit Party. The Lib Dems are now Tory-lite and who the hell is going to vote Tory-lite instead of Tory? So post-2010 LibDems will just vote Tory.

8. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Will she lose her seat (again)? :disco:

9. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

I must admit that i'm finding it utterly hilarious how much they've failed to carry on their momentum. And they've fallen on their faces without even being racist.

10. Kate

Kate most die in your bedroom

I'd love to know if Swinson really is that narcissistic or if it's her advisers that have told her it's a great idea to put her face on everything and make it all about her.

11. octophone

They got the idea that she was electable and in turns out she's about as electable as Liz Truss with a swastika tattooed on her face.

Kalabaliken likes this.
  12. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I wouldn’t say she is unlukeab
    I think she'll be pretty safe in her seat, but that's probably the only positive spin you can put on her election campaign so far.

13. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

This campaign has been bizarre. She absolutely crumbled in that Newsnight interview the other day. From "we want to revoke article 50" to "I guess we'd try and get a second vote on Boris' deal? If he lets us?" in about twenty minutes.

My favourite thing is her having to release a statement that she emphatically does not kill squirrels for fun, because of a dumb meme that went viral among middle-aged Brexiteers with no critical thinking skills.

14. wurst

wurst User

We have a bacon sandwich moment

15. Jark

Jark User

:D the mortified onlookers! oh, the humiliation...

16. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

She looks like a REALLY ROPEY OLD DYKE :D

Lucille likes this.
  17. Kate

Kate most die in your bedroom

She was already a bit of a lesbain icon. There will be FLOODS now

18. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

I could never vote for anyone who plays pool like a 5 year old. Sorry, Jo's Swansong.

19. octophone

Nah, surely she'd be decent at pool if she was a lesbian.

*STEREOTYPE ALERT* *STEREOTYPE ALERT*