The Good Fight (The Good Wife Spinoff)

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by Phoenix, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Jacques

Jacques doing it for my lover

Glad we'll be getting more of this fabulous show, I couldn't be sure what with streaming figures not being publicly available.

More4 have picked it up to air in the Thursday 9pm slot that The Good Wife used to have (if I remember correctly), starting March 30th

2. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

It's just frustrating not being able to binge watch a whole series. This is just as good as The Good Wife!

3. Steptacular

Steptacular User

Elsbeth being added to the cast has made my week! Queen!

This show is excellent.

4. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

VRAI.

It really is very good.

5. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Mr L will often let some shows build up until we have 5 or 6 or so in the memory, and then bingewatch them one evening or at the weekend.

I never really got the whole concept of watching that way at first, but some shows very definitely lend themselves to it.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Brown Cow...STUNNING

I loved the latest episode, I don't think a show makes me laugh as much as this.

7. ameraal

ameraal true love is making a comeback

just seen it, good stuff. marissa is such an amazing addition and the investigator is pretty swell. i'm loving elsbeth this season though he hair colour is driving me bonkers.

warming up to luca too, finally. her bit with boy issues was nicely done.

ps was the main antagonist designed after that milo person?

8. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Despite never having seen The Good Wife (it's been on my Netflix to do list for 3 years) I've decided to start this now it's on More4 and goodness it's good,

9. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

I think I only started The Good Wife when it was already up to Season 5 and I was done within a month. It was so addictive.

10. ameraal

shame!

11. Phoenix

It's essentially the same show without cussing.

12. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I've watched all 7 episodes now and a bit gutted I have to wait for the next ones.

LA Law used to be my favourite show and I still get a shiver thinking about poor Rosalind Shays and her elevator to the ground floor.

Rose Lesbie's lesbianism seems completely irrelevant and just a box ticking exercise and I was shocked by how rough Sean Hayes looked playing Milo but it turns out it wasn't Sean Hayes after all.

Fascinated by Christine Baranski's face and wish I'd seen all the episodes on my HD tv rather than the laptop to appreciate its full glory.

13. ameraal

just start the good wife already. i'm so jealous you get to see it for the first time. though the first season looked a bit dated visually when i tried to get mother dear into it.

14. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Deal: I'll start The Good Wife if you pick up Line Of Duty. Phoenix is a recent convert and will attest to its brilliance - JUST DON'T LOOK AT ANY SPOILERS. And please update the Homeland and Big Little Lies thread. xx

ameraal likes this.
  15. ameraal

deal.

i'm behind on big little lies, planning to binge the last two episodes and the finale after it comes out.

16. Phoenix

Isn't that what we want though? That's what acceptance is, it's just a character beat but not her story.

ameraal likes this.
  17. Phoenix

Also yes to Line of Duty, it's amazing.

18. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I suppose so, but the girlfriend comes across as totally irrelevant, not that any of the other characters even have lives outside work other than Christine Baranski.

Considering the issues around race, the only person she's come into contact with who has a problem with her enthusiasm for minge is the spurned ex boyfriend?

But still it's very enjoyable.

19. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Having watched the first episode of The Good Wife it's very enjoyable too but did LOL at Archie Panjabi's character saying she was 25, especially with the harsh lighting.

20. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

THIS REMAINS VERY VERY GOOD.

JULIANNA WHO?

21. Phoenix

I giggled at how many times they used cock in the latest episode.

I like how it's three different stories with no one focus. Also it's nice to see Barbra start to get more personality, for a second billed actress she hasn't done much so far.

22. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

So I watched the first season of The Good Wife.

Horrendous lighting on everyone other than Julianna, especially poor Archie and Christine who look like a dermatologist's nightmare. I can't understand why Kalinda isn't working for the police considering she solves all the crimes after they've arrested and charged the wrong person. Julianna looks frozen a lot of the time, so much it looks more like Famke Janssen in the title sequence.

Not sure when the first series was filmed, but lovely to see some up and coming TV stars like Luke Cage, President Heather Dunbar from House of Cards & Homeland, Sacha from The Walking Dead, daughter of Meryl and Mrs Saul Berenson.

Good, but not as good as I expected. I'll give season 2 a go at some point.

23. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Season one isn't great, it's the back half of season 2 where it really starts to pick up. Then it's pretty much great through to early season 6.

24. Phoenix

Chem sex parties :D that made me giggle.

25. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

The birds crashing into FBI Agent Sue Sylvester's window was another nice touch. Rose Leslie had some heavy lifting to this episode but she did really well. Obviously it was lovely to have Colin back too, sleazy as ever. I'll never tire of the way he says Alicia.

26. Steptacular

Steptacular User

The cast is so good, I keep flipping between Diane, Boseman, Elsbeth and Marissa as my favourites. I also like Luca but her coldness can sometimes but too much. Maia not so much, although I felt bad for her in the latest episode.

27. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

So I have the first 3 episodes of this downloaded on my Planner. However, I'm a bit wary of watching as I'm still working my way through The Good Wife. Is it safe to watch this now or is it going to give too many Good Wife spoilers away?

28. Phoenix

How far along the Good Wife are you?

29. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Only Season 4

30. Phoenix

Hmmm depending on how quick you're going through the seasons, I would say wait until after season 5.

BoysForSeles likes this.
  31. ameraal

i'd say finish the good wife first. not for spoilers or anything, there just doesn't seem to be any urgency in starting fight before that.

BoysForSeles likes this.
  32. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Watching TGW in order to watch this is far from essential, but with there being a year to wait for more if you're that far through it probably makes sense to finish it first then start this. Then the numerous little touches per episode won't be lost otherwise, which by no means make the show brilliant, but they do make it MORE brilliant.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  33. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

Gosh, this easily could've been 22 episodes but maybe cramming it into 10 gave the first season more of a sense of urgency.

LOVED IT and it cannot return quickly enough for season two.

34. lolly

Caught up with the first three episodes last night. Fantastic. And beautifully shot.

35. lolly

I only started with The Good Wife in season 4 (later going back to watch it all), and although this would easily work as a standalone programme, you will get more out of it if you watch The Good Wife to the end first.

BoysForSeles likes this.
  36. Phoenix

I definitely want more than 10 episodes next season, it's gotta be dirt cheap to make.

I thought this was a great finale, although I did not understand the whole FBI thing with Jane Lynch last week.

37. Steptacular

Steptacular User

Aww I didn't realise it was only 10!

Quote of the week from the queen hacker "I think we should do a blackout in Vegas, Celine clawing through the crowds." :D

38. ameraal

i don't know, i had the watch the last episode in three sittings. i feel like it's becoming a bit predictable. i definitely ended up caring most about diane and lucca's relationships. the whole maia storyline kinda tired me out.

39. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

The finale was almost TOO MUCH. The pacing and editing in this is every bit as good as TGW. Simple little things like Diane rushing into the elevator as the DOJ come up with the perfectly timed music. It's small, but so satisfying.

The actual story was a little more on the obvious side, certainly it felt very obvious as to how Henry's story would end this season, despite the monologue. I think the Ponzi scheme is the only main story thread that didn't really work for me, it was a great narrative jump start for the show, but it should probably have been closed off fully by the end of the season, or perhaps even earlier.

Loved the callback to
    Will's death
    with the hospital scenes. Diane and Kurt together is always great, but I want them to come down one way or another on the relationship soon. Lucca and Colin though, the chemistry has been electric all season, so I hope we get a lot more of that. Lucca has definitely been the MVP of this season. She's done a lot of the emotional heavy lifting, had many of the best comedy lines and gotcha moments and feels like the most important character.

Overall a 9/10 season, the 10 episodes worked really well keeping it incredibly high paced and narratively slick throughout. I hope we maybe get 13 or so for next season, but CBS All Access doesn't seem to have been a ROARING SUCCESS, so we shall see.

40. Phoenix

I don't mind the ponzy scheme because Maya is not the main character so having her in jail next season will not impede the show, it will be just another storyline.