The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by Raining On Me, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

Not sure how many here will be interested but this sounds pretty fucking amazing so far and seems to be getting mass praise everywhere.

I've not read the book and I've forgotten the plot of that dreadful Catherine Zeta Jones film which I imagine will be a good thing here.

Mike Flanagan has done quite a few decent horror films recently, Gerald's Game especially was a revelation. I LOVE that movie.

Anyway October 12th it's out, so that's some suitably creepy autumn viewing sorted.

2. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

Oh and Carla Gugino is in it who was just utterly incredible in Gerald's Game so I'm (cautiously) excited all in all :disco:

3. Debbie Jellinsky

Debbie Jellinsky User

I'm looking forward to this, The Haunting ('63) is one of my favourite horror films, it's perfect. The less said about the atrocious remake the better. The book is quite good, but a bit cold and weird.
    This looks like it's only loosely based on the novel, they seem to have changed the plot quite a bit. I enjoyed some of the director's previous films, so I'm sure it won't disappoint.

4. northernlad

northernlad all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Three episodes in and this is really quite enjoyable, entirely removed from the source material however. I'm not sure why they did the tie in at all as there can't be that many Shirley Jackson lit geeks (well me), and the last film was among the worst remakes ever so null as a selling point. It was almost painful to watch them shoehorn in the always best remembered 'we return to town at dark, no one will come closer than that' speech with such a nonchalant delivery.

The pacing is good. Elizabeth Reaser is marvelous, as is her younger counterpart, although Kate Siegel is, as of yet, outdone by hers as the writing for her adult character is so tedious. It could get very good, or settle as a family melodrama with an incidental haunting (or vice versa).

5. Mats

Mats User

I really need to bite into this but I just dragged Mr M through FIVE seasons of The 100 in virtually ONE GO so he's a bit fatigued, bless him. I think it'll be a while before I dare broach the subject :(

6. Mats

Mats User

I remember me and my brother saw The Haunting all the time, loving it, but then we were tiny and our favourite tv show was Are You Afraid of the Dark? so that movie fit right in. I'm sure it doesn't warrant a re-watch though...

7. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Just watched the first episode and it's really quite spectacular.

8. ButterTart

ButterTart Pathetic creature of meat and bone

I’ve got this on my to watch list. I’m currently ploughing through Veep and My Hero Academia but I want to start watching before Halloween.

9. Jark

Jark campione

Has anybody finished this yet?

I did last night after a lovely binge across three evenings and I am absolutely DESTROYED. Episodes 5, 6 and 9 in particular are all really quite incredible and it gets very emotionally heavy as it goes on - becomes less horror focused and more about grief and trauma. It really works I think. The finale has received a slightly more mixed reception than other episodes but it made me cry.

The acting is so good throughout but on balance it's really Carla Gugino who gives the whole thing an emotional core. The way she does fear... What an actress.

10/10

10. Ag

Ag User

I think I'm three or four episodes in. It really is very creepy. I don't care for the main male and female, which has left me unwilling to binge it hard. I like the lesbian and am curious about the junkie brother, who is super reminiscent of the waster brother in Grace and Frankie.

11. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

I finished it the other night. It gets a bit corny near the end but it holds up very well.

Wonder if there's a Season 2

12. Ag

Ag User

I'm struggling to work out when the flashback scenes are meant to be set.

13. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

80s I think. Not really important though.

14. Jark

Jark campione

They're 26 years in the past so 92.

15. northernlad

northernlad all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Just finished this and it was spectacular. Pleasantly surprised at how well-written, acted, and paced it all was. They ultimately did end up taking quite a few small bits from the novel and reimagined them into a reasonably original story on grief and estrangement. I would love to see the team behind this tackle something like Rebecca.

Absolutely. I am entirely unfamiliar with her though. Is there anything other than Gerald's Game to check out?

16. Ag

Ag User

I didn't recognise any of the cast not even the apparently English actor who played Luke.

17. Jark

Jark campione

Actually the director Mike Flanagan frequently works with the same cast of actors, especially the women - he's married to Kate Siegel (Theo) and did the excellent horror film Hush with her (it's on Netflix I believe), she was also in Gerald's Game with Carla Gugino (Olivia) and in Ouija: Origin of Evil with Elizabeth Reaser (Shirley).

Try Wayward Pines - excellent mystery TV series not unlike Twin Peaks from a couple of years back. She's the female lead in that. She also has a smallish but quite important role in Watchmen, Zack Snyder's highly divisive dark superhero noir. And she's great in Political Animals, a TV miniseries also starring Sigourney Weaver as Secretary of State in a role definitely not based on Hillary Clinton at all. :disco:

18. heehaw

heehaw User

I'm TEMPTED by this.

19. Mats

Mats User

not even E.T. boy? (who eerily hasn't changed much)

20. Mats

Mats User

I loved spotting all the ghosts lurking in the background of shots, really added to a sense of constantly being watched and made it extra creepy

I don't think the finale was handled particularly well though and sort of marred the overall impression. I loved the episode where they all got together on the night before the funeral and the camera didn't cut once