The Lion King (2019)

Discussion in 'Moopy Odeon' started by Slave, Nov 22, 2018.

?

Sarabi QoL

1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 09

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 08

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 07

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 06

50.0%
  6. 05

50.0%
  7. 04

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 03

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 02

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 01

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 00

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

I LIKE it, but it really has nothing on The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin, which is mostly why I find it hard to fathom why it’s regarded as the best when it was a step down from the triple whammy that came directly before.

monsta and HeLikedTurner like this.
  2. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Ouch...

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/the-lion-king-review-2019-1202157153/

3. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

EDIT: Never mind :D

4. HeLikedTurner

HeLikedTurner User

Absolutely!

5. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I am not sure if they can win with ANY of these remakes - if it's too close to the original it's seen as pointless. The rumours are the live action Mulan is going to be a bit different from the animated movie and closer to the original Chinese legend, and there's been scores of negative comments about that.

6. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

They make shitloads of money, so I don't think anyone cares really.

I thought Beauty and the Beast was fine as a novelty. Aladdin didn't work for me and Dumbo was just a completely bizarre mess.

7. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

Bring on BLACK ARIEL

8. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I actually really enjoyed this. Beyoncé was by far the worst thing about it.

9. Ellie

Meh. It was lovely at the start because of being visually impressive, but I got bored as soon as adult Simba came into it. Really missed some of the original voices - mainly Jeremy Irons and Rowan Atkinson.

New Beyoncé song was rubbish and I just got bored. I did however like Timon and Pumbaa, particularly the throwback to another Disney film.

10. Rita

Rita User

I am OVERJOYED that James Earl Jones made it to the remake I must admit.

11. Slave

Slave User

I really enjoyed it - I agree the opening sequence, which is literally frame-for-frame the same as the original, is a highlight.

I can totally see what the reviews mean when they complain about how expressionless the lions are. There’s often a real discord between what their voices are saying and what their faces are doing. Which is weird because there are times when they are as animated as you'd expect them to be. At points the lion models looked a bit weird too - Mufasa plummeting from the cliff looked comparable in quality to a model from Through The Dragon's Eye. Although I suppose it's hard to know what a lion SHOULD look like in that situation.

I thought there were some good - if minor - adjustments to the original - the hyenas in particular are much more believable as a threat, whilst it was always a bit puzzling in the original that the lions weren't able to overthrow them. Physically they're now much more equal. Timon and Pumbaa are predictably brilliant - again it's a nice extension on their role in the original, throws some new jokes into the mix, etc.

But I do wonder in places whether the movie may have benefitted from deviating a little more from the original - 'Be Prepared', for example, really feels like it was shoehorned in. You could barely call it a song at all.

Also, Beyoncé literally performing as Beyoncé was as brilliant as it was distracting - 'Can You Feel The Love Tonight' is now an aural recreation of that gif where Michelle Williams falls over on stage and Beyoncé just carries on without her - Donald Glover may as well not have turned up.

It'll never replace the original - I wasn't expecting it to. But having seen that movie countless times, I really enjoyed seeing it through a new lens - even where it wasn't perfect.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019 at 9:17 PM
    Ellie and Rita like this.
  12. Rita

Rita User

This is expected to take in $200 million in its opening weekend after taking in $78.5 million on Friday. Is that the best EVER?

13. Ellie

I don’t know, but what I do know is that my local Cineworld has 19 screens and 12 of them are showing The Lion King :manson:

14. Rita

Rita User

Jesus. That’s a bit overkill is it not?

15. Slave

Slave User

I’m not surprised. The 3D animated rerelease took most people by surprise a few years ago. It was only supposed to run for a week and ended up having a normal theatrical run because it was so popular.

16. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Yeah despite everything I didn’t think this would flop, it’s kind of THE Disney film isn’t it?

Though I know what people think about movies that also have successful musicals

17. Kevin

Kevin Niet meer zo lang geleden

No. The estimates are $185M at the moment which would be 9th best ever. The record is $357M ($157M first day) for Avengers: Endgame.

18. Ellie

I’m not sure if this is a definitive rule, but it’s common that the mark of a great family film is when the children in screenings just shut up and watch the film. In my screening on Saturday there were groups chatting throughout.

Alla likes this.
  19. Slave

Slave User

I'm not sure this IS aimed at kids though; of course, Disney will market it as a family film, but surely a lot of people will be dragging their kids along, rather than the other way around.

I mean, it's been a LONG time since I was a kid. But I'm not sure a photorealistic movie would necessarily hold my attention at that age...