The Masked Singer

Discussion in 'Reality Bites' started by Rita, Dec 11, 2019.

1. ButterTart

ButterTart waiting and wondering about you

That's my guess. To the point that I can't imagine how it could be anyone else.
    I'm pretty sure Jake Shears and Nicola Roberts are a lock, and my guess for the hedgehog is Alfie Boe.

2. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

This whole show is incredible. Although I think it would have been more compelling in a pre-internet age where the hive mind couldn't do so much research.

Zu-Klara likes this.
  3. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I’m generally avoiding any news articles about it (and Twitter more specifically, which I avoid anyway) to make the reveals more of a surprise. I mean Duck is quite obviously Anita Dobson and NOT Skin :tongueout:

David_5000 likes this.
  4. Crash

Crash Thank You

If these all turn out to be correct they have secured a RELATIVELY amazing line up:

Jake Shears
    Nicola Roberts
    Skin
    Kelis
    Cee-Lo Green

FetchFugly and ButterTart like this.
  5. Alla

Alla Beast in Black

Wasn't Cee-Lo Green accussed of rape a few years ago?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  6. Alex

Alex Go fish

I loved the drum playing they snuck into the VT.
    “Beat of my drum” :disco:

7. SDF

SDF We're all Angles in Chainz

Kelis?! :D Which one is she supposed to be?

8. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock wo ist der party?

As a former Scissor Sisters megafan, I have come around to this as well. Scissor Sisters made a name for themselves in New York and both the speaking and singing voice fits. They mentioned his height too, and Jake is on the shorter side.

9. Tetris-Rock

I’m getting annoyed at the panel for being so adamant on Mel C when it doesn’t sound like her at all.

10. Ag

Ag User

I think it was the tree... it did sound like her.

11. Ag

Ag User

or maybe Daisy. She'll be on next week. I think Ashley Roberts is the other option.

12. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

I'm shit at these things and doubt I'd have guessed anyone without looking online etc but Kelis jumped out at me immediately last week. If all the guesses are real which seems likely that is an incredible-ish line up for a reality show.

Rather lovely to see Nicola get her moment when no one can actually see her. I'd laugh if it's not her now and someone like Cheryl pops out.

What a load of compelling old nonsense :disco:

13. Raining On Me

I don't mind the judges either but their existence is a bit redundant - they either know but can't give the game away too early or have to make ridiculous guesses like A-listers with actual careers :D Which of course none of them believe for a second.

Expecting someone to guess Bianca from Eastenders is a stretch.

14. Ag

Ag User

Rita Ora getting a puddle over Justin Hawkins gave them purpose alone.

Still struggling with the American.

FetchFugly likes this.
  15. Ag

Ag User

The guesses were a bit more relevant this week. Wossy is taking is quite seriously which gives it much needed credence*

*It doesn't.

16. Pingu

Pingu Noot noot

I was totally convinced by the Charlotte Church theory for Bee... I didn’t think Nicola was that good of a singer!

There were a couple of Nicola-isms in her first song last week but other than that I think she sounds much more like Charlotte.

17. Tetris-Rock

The clue about changing a law works for Nicola though as she joined a campaign that banned under eighteens from using sunbeds.

Ag likes this.
  18. Raining On Me

:o Wash your mouth out Reet. I actually wish Nadine was on this now.

Now Nicola is very good and I think we're all supposed to be "surprised" by the reveal that the ginger one from Girls Aloud can sing, but the scripted overreaction is a nonsense. She definitely faltered on some parts and the higher notes were a bit of a stretch for the poor girl.

It's a solid 8/10 performance but no more. Nadine would shout her way through but still be a 10.

19. Raining On Me

Oh no, is this an actual possibility? Never crossed my mind and would be really shit if they did.

This is a serious singing competition after all.

20. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

This was much more watchable recorded and viewed in about half the time. I do hope they are going to combine the two groups after next week, there is so much padding in these shows.

As noted, Rita being confronted with the object of her lust was a highlight.

I'm still waiting for Skin to turn in the kind of performance that I think she has in her.

Nicola is doing marvellously.

21. Rita

Rita User

Considering the first 3 unveiling’s were Bianca Jackson, Alan Johnson and Justin bloody Hawkins I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

22. Rita

Rita User

Skin DOES seem plausible.

23. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I am way too invested in this awful show.

Simply agog that we’re getting Nicola Roberts, Kelis, Jake Shears and Skin on Saturday night ITV. What even is reality any more.

Diddy likes this.
  24. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

It’s 100% them! The voices are unmistakable!

25. Rita

Rita User

Can Nicola really sing like that?

26. Raining On Me

It got 5.2m last night which is pretty good for week 2 of an entertainment show, only a small drop. Don't think any "new" show of this sort has managed that for about 6/7 years. So basically a hit.

A shame the first three reveals might just be the worst out of the potential line up.

Luckily this is ITV who aren't afraid to splash the cash so if holds up you can definitely expect Dame Judi and Kylie in series 2 :eyes:

27. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Yes! She was a powerhouse in GA!

28. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

We think the tree is Rio Ferdinand

29. Tetris-Rock

Yeah, Tree is a bloke.

The one that sounds like Kelis is Daisy.

But the format of the show dictates that the more impressive singers and performers are revealed later on. Quite clever, really.

30. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I imagine they are very happy indeed with those figures. I imagine there has been enough buzz for the consolidated figure to be more impressive as well.

As it is clearly a hit, ITV really ought to bin X Factor and run this opposite Strictly in the winter. This series came without much hype at all. If they can secure a good line up and really hype it up, I don't think there is any reason they can't get some real rivalry going again.

31. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

Like it was said in The Voice thread, these weekend light entertainment shows now are just that. The prospect of the general public being able to forge singing careers out of being on a TV talent show are over. I think Rylan is the only recent X-Factor “star”, and that wasn’t for his singing.

32. Raining On Me

But even Rylan was from the days they could still create stars, was it the James Arthur year? Maybe a year later.

Weirdly The Voice has never been able to.

They're totally just entertainment shows now in the way Stars in Their Eyes was in the 80s/90s but in general these singing/dancing shows are all a dying breed and there's nothing new to replace them, hence constant copycats like "The Greatest Dancer" to ever diminishing returns. The Masked Singer is more of a novelty and actually has a decent USP.

33. Raining On Me

I think it works where it is and it's still early days. But X Factor is clearly done after this year so they'll need something.

I read that that the American version of Masked Singer managed to really upgrade the level of celebrity for series 2 after it was a hit but I can't be arsed to check if that's true or not. I'm sure ours would be similar though.

34. Crash

Crash Thank You

Season 1 in the USA included T-Pain, Donny Osmond, Gladys Knight, LaToya Jackson, Joey Fatone (NSync), Rumer Willis, Margaret Cho, Tori Spelling and some NFL players noone knows

Season 2 had Daughtry, Seal, Michelle Williams, Patti LaBelle, Kelly Osbourne and Raven-Symone, amongst others.

35. Alla

Alla Beast in Black

Tori Spelling!? :D

36. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I didn’t watch this but have seen the Duck singing and as someone with everything Skunk Anansie have put out it’s definitely Skin.

37. Rita

Rita User

She also sponsored a bill in parliament to stop underage people using sunbeds. :o

38. ManicKangaroo

ManicKangaroo User

Surely David Beckham

39. Ag

Ag User

:basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil::basil:

SDF likes this.
  40. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Actually, there was some Twitter volume behind it being Beckham last week.