THE RESULTS of the GIRLS ALOUD SINGLES RATE 2015

Discussion in 'Girls Aloud' started by Euphoria, May 25, 2015.

1. Euphoria

Euphoria User

WHO'S READY

[​IMG]

2. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

GO GIRLS GO GO GO GO GO etc

3. Euphoria

Euphoria User

23 WALK THIS WAY (1.97)

http://img.theSTOP FUNDING HATE/multimedia/archive/00018/SNF17BIZA_18478a.jpg

MAX - Halli, Marilyn [08]
    MIN - Agnetha, Madison, Andricicle, Boys ForSeles [-1]

So up first, quite predictably, is their cover with the Sugababes for Comic Relief. The concept seems a lot better and more fun than the execution, with the production not being particularly great and the Sugababes further ruining the song with their involvement with the second verse. What I'm sure was intended to be quite fun is quite joyless, really. That said, as a child I didn't really have anything against this. Glad I'm a bit more DISCERNING these days I guess.

[video=youtube;1Jvrjd8DI-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jvrjd8DI-c[/video]

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  4. Euphoria

Euphoria User

22 BEAUTIFUL 'CAUSE YOU LOVE ME (3)

[​IMG]

MAX - Sweet Music [09]
    MIN - JillTyrell, VoR, Tischlampe, POP! [-1]

Good god.

I really don't know what they were aiming for with this. I suppose the thought process was that Something New satisfied the fanbase so they could do a song that they wanted to do (which I guess was behind the claim that they had "more control" around this time). I mean, it's lovely but Girls Aloud single it is not, let alone good Girls Aloud single. I suppose this is why it has done so badly here.

NEXT

[video=youtube;b2ioQw6Oebo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ioQw6Oebo[/video]

5. Euphoria

Euphoria User

21 I'LL STAND BY YOU (4.6)

[​IMG]

MAX - Marilyn, Devil [09]
    MIN - Mugatu, graves [00]

There's something about this that makes it quite charming, really. While it is not a particularly great rendition (the vocals don't really match up with the power implemented within the production for me), and it should probably be less rated among their back catalogue from the perspective of the general public, I can't really begrudge it. I suppose it played a part in consolidating their profile as one of the most successful groups in the country, so I appreciate it for that.

[video=youtube;SeEq2tlD6WY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeEq2tlD6WY[/video]

6. Euphoria

Euphoria User

20 I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW (4.93)

[​IMG]

MAX - Halli [09]
    MIN - graves [-1]

I don't hate this, but again I struggle to see the point in this. I would not be surprised if they were stuck in a contract where they had to release a cover at the end of the year from 2003 to 2006. I'd have kept focusing on Something Kinda Oooh over the Christmas period to potentially sell more of the Greatest Hits album (always taking the Keisha Buchanan approach). So my relative goodwill for I'll Stand By You doesn't seem to reach that point with this. Ultimately, it's quite average and no one would mind if they never heard it again.

Maybe apart from Halli.

[video=youtube;WjpbcsttFyM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjpbcsttFyM[/video]

7. Euphoria

Euphoria User

19 SEE THE DAY (5)

[​IMG]

MAX - Sharla [09]
    MIN - Doodvid [-1]

Firstly, how rubbish is that single cover? Far too conservative. Secondly, this sounds a lot more rubbish than I recalled. They sound like they know their vocal talents don't live up to the first chorus, and yet still struggle on through it regardless. When CHERYL has the best line, you know something's up. Ultimately their vocals don't seem to suit slower paces, and I am not really in the mood at all for this sort of thing today. Can I change my score to a zero - dire. If they HAD to move on from the pop behemoth that is Biology, then WHY couldn't it be the filth-bringing Not Tonight Santa :(

[video=youtube;7qKSC8w4qC4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qKSC8w4qC4[/video]

8. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I don't know about "their" vocals not suiting it - it's essentially a Nadine solo with gesture lines for the others, although nowt for Kimba.

It was very much a strategic release rather than for artistic purposes and it did work in the album's favour. They seemed to be everywhere that Christmas and commercial radio played See The Day more than most of their others.

9. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

The bottom four are rubbish, I liked See The Day though.

10. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Contractual cover 'I Think We're Alone Now' really was unnecessary but I recall loving the original Greatest Hits version at the time (was a staple on my Myspace page player...) but the single mix left me cold.

Listening back recently it definitely is piss-poor.

11. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

The film it was meant to be from was quite dreadful - starring none other than MOTHER OF THE CENTURY SHARON OSBOURNE as some trailer trash trash.

12. ameraal

ameraal trash

"see the day" is kinda servicable. so far the results have been on point.

i fear my lovely sexy no no no will struggle though.

13. Euphoria

Euphoria User

18 LONG HOT SUMMER (6.47)

[​IMG]

MAX - Sheena [10]
    MIN - Sweet Music [01]

I have heard this very few times in my life, which is mostly down to the fact that it was never on an Now album. :eyes: Anyway, I recall the girls and those around them perceiving this period in their career as a misstep and I agree with them. It seems much more like filler on an album than a FIRST SINGLE from an album. Thank god they had Biology (yep, that again) in the wings otherwise they could have been on their way to the pop toilet. Also - what is that Nadine mini-rap after the first chorus - truly the prototype for the rap in the Saturdays' Gentleman.

[video=youtube;7-72xwJ4ytY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-72xwJ4ytY[/video]

14. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

I like See the Day, one of their better ballads. Long Hot Summer is utterly forgettable.

15. Euphoria

Euphoria User

17 JUMP (6.73)

[​IMG]

MAX - straightorbroken, Superstylin’, Johnkm, Devil [10]
    MIN - graves [00]

First single here I really quite love - YAY. As part of a standard soundtrack to children's parties during the mid-2000s, Jump seemed really quite ubiquitous in my youth. Now that those days are long gone, I can look past that. It's a brilliant cover with great production to go with it as well - this becoming clear in the outro of it. I even think it's better than the original. Was this when they still styled themselves? I think Cheryl actually looks quite great (and even slightly LIKABLE) here.

[video=youtube;rk7zhB_m4gc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk7zhB_m4gc[/video]

16. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Heidi looks so matronly in that Walk This Way video.

17. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Cheryl's ability to eye-fuck the camera on demand, and therefore make her the stand out star of Girls Aloud and a star in her own right was cemented with the Jump video.

18. Euphoria

Euphoria User

16 LOVE MACHINE (7.4)

[​IMG]

MAX - lolly, Marilyn, Johnkm, Sheena [10]
    MIN - straightorbroken, Mugatu [00]

A shock? I really can see why people would not abide this - its extensive use in those Homebase adverts must have put people off for years now. As my opinion of it is, I can appreciate it's a great pop song by any standard but have almost heard it too much to be nothing but completely exhausted in my mind, even though it's not something I even hear very often now. I guess it just means it's not good enough to stand up there in my affections even after all this time.

[video=youtube;owJHNSF9bm0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owJHNSF9bm0[/video]

19. Euphoria

Euphoria User

15 CAN'T SPEAK FRENCH (7.57)

[​IMG]

MAX - Sweet Music [11]
    MIN - Euphoria [00]

I really don't know what to say about this. I don't think I 'get' it, and I find the execution of the song quite irritating really. Obviously it is quite popular here, as proven by its average but I really would rather listen to thousands of songs before this.

:)

[video=youtube;IuPL_Bgmvvs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuPL_Bgmvvs[/video]

20. Euphoria

Euphoria User

14 THE PROMISE (7.57 - more 10s)

[​IMG]

MAX - Halli, Doodvid, lolly, Sharla, Marilyn, Dinlo, Devil, Tischlampe, POP!, graves [10]
    MIN - straightorbroken, Sweet Music [-1]

4!

God they really were becoming rather big at this time weren't they? I have such fond memories of this time in my life, and because of this a large amount of time for this song as it was one of the biggest songs around then. As it stands, it's perfectly serviceable and not something to get completely excited over but it's got quite a lot of charm to it that heightens the enjoyment I have of the song. I can also see how it could be constituted as something to please the majority of people given how popular Cheryl was becoming on the X Factor but you can't deny that all of them in the video look as if they're having the time of their lives with the additional interest placed on them as a result. The next two singles were even better, but more on those MUCH later on.

[video=youtube;xPrZ4yAdj8I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPrZ4yAdj8I[/video]

21. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

I'm still amazed my -1 hasn't come up yet. Everyone else must love it...

22. Euphoria

Euphoria User

13 LIFE GOT COLD (7.59)

[​IMG]

MAX - Euphoria, Marilyn, Sheena, Sweet Music, Ryan [10]
    MIN - Mugatu [04]

I feel as this has been gravely underrated here. :( Of course it's not exactly earth-shattering in its approach but is gloriously bittersweet with its implications of disillusion from trust and faith. I know part of this song is supposedly from Wonderwall, but can't really hear it here unless pointed out, and even then it doesn't really make much of a difference to my listening of the song. It would also be a bit much for Oasis to accuse them of ripping their songs off when they incorporated other elements of quite a lot of songs into their own in their time.

[video=youtube;wurjnwmtrqk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wurjnwmtrqk[/video]

23. ameraal

ameraal trash

life got cold above the promise and love machine? oh moopi.

24. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

I remember Life Got Cold was RAVED about when the album came out - I think they said they only released it due to the DEMAND from FANZ. Its really aged horribly though

25. Euphoria

Euphoria User

12 WAKE ME UP (7.7)

[​IMG]

MAX - Euphoria, lolly, Sharla, straightorbroken, Marilyn, ameraal, Sheena [10]
    MIN - JillTyrell, Doodvid, Mugatu [05]

What is wrong with some people? This song is nothing but amazing. Every part of the song is executed so well, with its various hooks and brooding mood. I think my favourite part of the song is Nicola's part of the middle eight:

Always feel we're fighting a war
    Always thought that you were so cool
    Never realised that you've been shared
    I think you're off your head.

:disco:

Not a fan of the video myself though.

[video=youtube;lK7oOVp7BJE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK7oOVp7BJE[/video]

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  26. Euphoria

Euphoria User

I think Life Got Cold makes for a brilliant listen around this time of year.

27. dUb

dUb X HALLE

#Justice4BeautifulCauseYouLoveMe

I still fucking LOVE IT (though obviously gave it less than a 9)

28. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

What when it's getting warmer?

29. Euphoria

Euphoria User

I can't quite explain it, but I think there's something quite SEASONAL about it (despite the supposed contradiction). I think it's the guitar riff.

30. ameraal

ameraal trash

dress up and put on my make up, my best face just for you :evil:

31. Euphoria

Euphoria User

11 WHOLE LOTTA HISTORY (7.83)

[​IMG]

MAX - Sharla, BoysForSeles [11]
    MIN - David_5000 [-1]

I think this was one of the first times Girls Aloud showed their power for reflection through their singles, that was later topped by Call The Shots for me. As it is, it's a very nice song (which is surely one of the worst ways to describe a song), but is not one of my favourites when they've improved within this particular template. It is interesting and rather refreshing to actually hear a straight-up original ballad from them that has not got electronic elements to it, which wasn't the case at all for most of their other releases. I suppose it stands out in a good way within their back catalogue for this reason.

[video=youtube;ozx-VvqO_ys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozx-VvqO_ys[/video]

32. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

"Never Ever crossed with True Blue" was how this was described ahead of Chemistry's release.

33. Euphoria

Euphoria User

10 SEXY! NO NO NO... (7.97)

[​IMG]

MAX - David_5000, ameraal [11]
    MIN - Euphoria [-1 - QUITE]

To try to be civil in this piece of commentary - what a horrible tuneless song that I have no desire to ever hear again. Don't bother trying to explain the apparent merits of this to me. How could Xenomania get it SO WRONG?

Nice imagery though.

[video=youtube;cZlttVuTgqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZlttVuTgqY[/video]

34. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

You're not meant to give YOUR opinions in the countdown! :D

35. Euphoria

Euphoria User

09 SOUND OF THE UNDERGROUND (8.57)

[​IMG]

MAX - Agnetha, Euphoria, Doodvid, straightorbroken, Superstylin’, Marilyn, Ryan, graves [10]
    MIN - Halli, Madison, Sweet Music, Krust, POP! [07]

Onwards and upwards. I have a lot of love for this song as it was one of the songs that sparked my interest in pop music that has kept going for a further 12 to 13 years. Anyway - it's a brilliant song above all of that, and I think the production is incredibly different from the norm and bold for the first release of a song straight out of a reality TV show. Anyone who geniuely prefers that One True Voice song to this I would find unfathomable. THIS is a masterclass in how to do a debut single, and the pop package (with the marketing of "BUY GIRLS - BYE BOYS!" coming into the equation) also being surely one of the most brilliantly executed ever. Fantastic on any scale.

[video=youtube;V9Wv4SCBiTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Wv4SCBiTE[/video]

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  36. Euphoria

Euphoria User

PFFT. My countdown, my way of doing it :evil:

37. Doodvid

Doodvid User

I (must) say I did (rather) like OTV's 'Shakespeare's (Way With) Words'.

38. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Because it reunited Astley with Waterman?

The idea of a 5 year old Euphoria practicing the Underground dance routine with a broom handle is quite endearing.

39. Marilyn

Marilyn User

:D

I think we should rate Euphoria's opinions in retaliation

-1 Disliking Sexy! No No No

40. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Maybe it's his heterosexuality which leaves him unable to fully appreciate the cultural importance of Nicola Roberts belting out FROM TOP TO BOTTOM I'M A WOMAN, SUNSHINE