THE RESULTS of the GIRLS ALOUD SINGLES RATE 2015

Discussion in 'Girls Aloud' started by Euphoria, May 25, 2015.

1. Marilyn

Marilyn User

Euphoria is HETEROSEXUAL?

2. Euphoria

Euphoria User

I forgot to tell you all that my next rate is an Eminem singles rate. :eyes:

I know my target audience!

3. ameraal

ameraal trash

!!! :D

4. dUb

dUb X HALLE

ON THE METRO FTW

5. Euphoria

Euphoria User

I am not in the mood for commentary but want to finish this so HERE GOES

08 SOMETHING KINDA OOOOH (8.77)

[​IMG]

MAX - Madison [11]
    MIN - Mugatu [06]

I really like this quite a lot and brings back a few memories of late '06 but it is not among their best for me. If I'm not wrong, this was seen as a bit of make-or-break moment for them (which is perhaps shown by the extent of budget for the video and impending Greatest Hits) so it's nice that this kept them going for a few more years afterwards. :) A lot of eyeliner is on display in the video, and to further prove my heterosexuality - I would regarding Nadine.

[video=youtube;Wy3SV2fvoG8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy3SV2fvoG8[/video]

6. straightorbroken

straightorbroken reflected onto the wet pavement

7. straightorbroken

Something Kinda Oooh remains absolutely bullet proof. Kimberly doing us all a favour and sounding like Sarah was actually an amazing moment, until she did it live and did a Kimberly (there's simply nothing that bagel vessel won't fuck up).

8. Euphoria

Euphoria User

07 NO GOOD ADVICE (8.87)

[​IMG]

MAX - Doodvid [11]
    MIN - Mugatu [06]

Mugatu is not the biggest Girls Aloud fan here it would seem. God this is amazing and sounds like the natural follow-up to Sound Of The Underground, so I guess it's a good job it actually IS. Very much in the same vein as the aforementioned previous single to supposedly not alienate those who were mainly interested in the group due to it, but with different elements within this song to differentiate the two, such as the best part of the song in the form of a guitar riff and the talking parts at the end of the song. A song with a lot of confidence and force that was perhaps one of the best songs in the charts of that era.

[video=youtube;mNeO5a5tM4s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNeO5a5tM4s[/video]

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  9. Marilyn

Marilyn User

That single cover is just beyond comprehension

Edit: actually that wasn't the cover was it? Either way, the photo is :D

10. Slave

Slave User

Predecessor?

11. Euphoria

Euphoria User

06 THE SHOW (9.03)

[​IMG]

MAX - Euphoria, Doodvid, lolly, straightorbroken, That One, Marilyn, Johnkm, Sheena, Devil, Mugatu, Andricicle, graves, BoysForSeles [10]
    MIN - Halli, dUb, Madison, Ryan [07]

This was the one song here that seemed to consistently get great scores. The production seems quite full pelt in places, the structure of this is probably one of their finest (with the incredible "Shoulda known, should cared..." verses at the beginning and the end) and there's also something about their styling and presentation around this time that seems more polished, which seems for the best. I remember this quite well given that it was performed a lot on various TV shows at the time, and would definitely say that this effort ensured that they didn't have a hitch to the start of the era of their second album.

[video=youtube;eGUIE844hxk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGUIE844hxk[/video]

12. Euphoria

Euphoria User

This leaves a Top 5 OF

Biology
    Call The Shots
    Something New
    The Loving Kind
    Untouchable

13. Ag

Ag User

Biology BY FAR the most over-rated IMO.

14. dUb

dUb X HALLE

Yeah Biology has next to no appeal for me these days

I was blinded by the Popjustice-led 'amazing structure omg it's so brilliant' narrative

15. Euphoria

Euphoria User

Biology is one of the best songs ever :o

16. Doodvid

Doodvid User

The standout moment of the Popjustice album was the segue from the original version to the Tony Lamezma tits-out, pissed-on-blue WKD remix.

17. Ag

Ag User

PJ did seep into Moopy consciousness and there were a fair few bits I never quite got, including this.

18. Devil

Devil I Need A House

Biology is average at best. The chorus is good and the weird-song-structure is a good concept, but it was around this stage they took all that too far - does any song on Chemistry have a 'normal' structure? Quirky and fun, yes. But not for a whole fucking album.

The first two albums were a bit ropey-Satz-style (but highly enjoyable), the third a bit too quirky, but after that they started getting it all JUST RIGHT.

19. Euphoria

Euphoria User

It did get 17 10s so it must have done something right.

20. straightorbroken

21. Euphoria

Euphoria User

05 BIOLOGY (9.1)

[​IMG]

MAX - POP! [11]
    MIN - Sweet Music [04]

It's slightly hard to know what to say here as I suppose this song is one that a lot of people already have strong views about - you either love it or you think it is a bit overrated on here. I guess that the structure of this song might be a bit alienating to some, but I have always loved how unique and ballsy it is. I also think that works in its favour as not many songs sound like this, thus making it stand out more and all that crap. Proof that risks taken don't always result in shit.

[video=youtube;bBPtP4t2J1k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBPtP4t2J1k[/video]

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  22. Euphoria

Euphoria User

04 SOMETHING NEW (9.13)

[​IMG]

MAX - Devil, Tischlampe [11]
    MIN - Madison [04]

REALLY?

I never really got quite a few people on the internet saw about this. It's a great song, but might be heightened in some minds as being one of their best due to the comeback association. And it certainly sounds like a comeback - full of energy that's been saved for this particular moment. But yes - definitely doesn't deserve to come above some others that have been and gone in my opinion and gets a little irritating after you've heard it a few times in a row as well (as I have just done).

Best bit of the song of course being "Take a walk on the wild SIIIIDE of life, life".

[video=youtube;ZHSFTrcJYmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHSFTrcJYmM[/video]

23. Euphoria

Euphoria User

03 THE LOVING KIND (9.37)

[​IMG]

MAX - Pipo, Mugatu, graves [11]
    MIN - Madison [04]

I think this is definitely the most self-aware and impressive performance from the singles of Girls Aloud, with a certain maturity in it seen from an individual beyond their years. Coupled with the utterly sublime production, and we have a perfect pop song here. Which made it more amusing that they didn't seem to get it out of all of their singles, and shows that Xenomania were the driving force for how good this group were. I can see why people would compare this to Call The Shots, but I think they're two songs cut out of the same mould with different forms of strengths. There's no doubt that this is of a first-class standard.

[video=youtube;lFY4DxiHzTI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFY4DxiHzTI[/video]

24. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

"Something New" and "Something Kinda Ooh" both have exactly the same reason for being- they grab you from the start, shake you up and down and don't let you go until the end, when you're dropped, panting and wanting more- EXACTLY how 3 minute pop songs SHOULD be. Both utterly perfect.

25. straightorbroken

The Loving Kind is almost beautifully bland if that makes sense (if only Atomic Kitten had done it this way, but with three different members obviously). It was beyond their years in more ways than one, but they are not simply the willing mouthpieces for a middle aged gay man's mockery and despair. Ruefully romantic, passively cynical pensively pining, ambivalently desperate, and helplessly dreamy, Girls Aloud had came of age whether they liked it or not (and most of them didn't). Delivering a new kind of high that doesn't involve a credit card and a flat surface, Sarah in particular rises to the high aesthetic of low spirits. That yearningly languorous chorus, like one final sigh before the sleeping tablet kicks in, is heartening, modest and resigned. The stifled and stoic texture of it all sounds so good its almost shallow. However, all of it simply was leading up to a magnificent disaster that saw mouthfuls of cornflakes spat back out across the country as Sarah serenaded the nation using a bum note that produced the kind of tragic punchline Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe would have given their entire career away to be able to put into words.

26. Euphoria

Euphoria User

27. Euphoria

Euphoria User

So, who's going to be #1 then?

28. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Call The Shots hopefully.

29. ameraal

ameraal trash

you mean call the shots obviously. with the right capitalisation obviously.

30. Ag

Ag User

If Call The Shots is not #1 Moopy should resign PRONTO.

31. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I guess it'll be the one least likely to be tanked by tactical voting

32. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Reading some comments, I guess that's Call the shots :D (unless someone else threw a -1 at it or something)

33. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY

They are both UTTERLY RELENTLESS pop songs. Sexy! No No No... manages the same feat in the choruses, but the verses fall a little flat by comparison. Although thinking about it, if they matched the chorus for sheer ferocity, I can imagine dozens of middle aged gays being wiped out just listening to it :disco:

34. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Still no result? It's like waiting for Maurice Chevalier.

35. Euphoria

Euphoria User

02 UNTOUCHABLE (9.43)

[​IMG]

MAX - lolly, Johnkm, VoR [11]
    MIN - Madison [05]

This song means so much to me, with the introverted and melancholic nature of it heard on the guitar lines really making for an incredibly special song. I kind of wish that it had stayed as an album track though, as the sizing down of the song along with the vocoder implemented on certain parts of the vocals really does make for a less glorious listen. As with The Loving Kind, the production could not have been more top-notch and leads as a brilliant swan-song to six and a half years' worth of material being released consecutively from them. More music should have as much ambition and detail as this.

[video=youtube;rGkpoGZOzpo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGkpoGZOzpo[/video]

01 CALL THE SHOTS (9.63)

[​IMG]

MAX - Agnetha, Euphoria, JillTyrell, straightorbroken, Superstylin’, Marilyn, Sheena, Dinlo, Krust, Andricicle [11]
    MIN - Sweet Music [03 - :|]

So, here is the winner! This recieved around 1/3 of all raters' 11, and deservedly so as well. This really seemed to be the first time Girls Aloud stepped up into a more credible role as one of the country's leading groups (even the NME were fawning themselves over this!) and indeed at the time from what I remember it did feel as if it was a sea change, the girls turning into grown women. There are many parts of the song that are faultless, but Nicola's pensive contribution to the middle eight is one that has to go down as one of pop's greatest moments. There was no better way to end off this rate than this - one of the greatest songs ever.

[video=youtube;QPWUyAZZfK0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPWUyAZZfK0[/video]

36. Euphoria

Euphoria User

01 CALL THE SHOTS (9.63)
    02 UNTOUCHABLE (9.43)
    03 THE LOVING KIND (9.37)
    04 SOMETHING NEW (9.13)
    05 BIOLOGY (9.1)
    06 THE SHOW (9.03)
    07 NO GOOD ADVICE (8.87)
    08 SOMETHING KINDA OOOH (8.77)
    09 SOUND OF THE UNDERGROUND (8.57)
    10 SEXY! NO NO NO... (7.97)
    11 WHOLE LOTTA HISTORY (7.83)
    12 WAKE ME UP (7.7)
    13 LIFE GOT COLD (7.59)
    14 CAN'T SPEAK FRENCH (7.57)
    15 THE PROMISE (7.57)
    16 LOVE MACHINE (7.4)
    17 JUMP (6.73)
    18 LONG HOT SUMMER (6.47)
    19 SEE THE DAY (5)
    20 I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW (4.93)
    21 I'LL STAND BY YOU (4.6)
    22 BEAUTIFUL 'CAUSE YOU LOVE ME (3)
    23 WALK THIS WAY (1.97)

37. Devil

Devil I Need A House

See I do like the top two, but for me they'd be lucky to be in my GA top ten. Both brilliant pop tracks, and I totally see why they are a lot of people's favourites, but they sound almost too clinical for me. Almost as if they knew these were career highs so they left them a bit...flat.

I still get shocked when I read people don't 'get' Something New. It's Girls Aloud shoved into 3.30. Fiery intro, crashing beats, pop-tastic chorus, rappy bits sprinkled in, lots of chanting and an outro unbeaten. Utterly magnificent.

38. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

Call The Shots was always going to be #1. Love that The Loving Kind was #3 I didn't expect that

My top 5

01 Biology
    02 The Loving Kind
    03 Call The Shots
    04 Whole Lotta History
    05 The Promise

39. ZZ

ZZ lacklustre forgotten diva

The Top3 does nothing for me. The best Girls Aloud songs for me are 'Something New' and 'Biology' (and possibly 'Jump'). The energy in these songs is what Girls Aloud were best at.

40. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

So glad Untouchable came in second, I was worried at one point it might not even be top 5. It really is their crowning moment for me, mainly in album version of course.