The USA: The Trump Years

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by cwej, Nov 12, 2016.

1. ameraal

ameraal huzzah!

headlines that could've been trump didn't mention climate change once? that he gave a racist conspiracy theorist an award? that both republicans and democrats applauded someone no one has voted for and called him the legitimate president of venezuela?

yes. success.

and i know these things don't matter to joe public but what does her behaviour bring to the table apart from a new bottom baseline from which to go lower? what comes next? giving the finger? pooping on the podium?

a ton of congresspeople didn't even dignify his speech with their presence.

2. ameraal

ameraal huzzah!

sorry, if i'm coming across pressed. i think the buck (two-)toothed lady from iowa is still making me doubt my sanity.

Beverley likes this.
  3. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

No, I totally get where you're coming from. I do feel that none of the things you list would have been headlines within the wider media but that's says a lot more about the media than it does Trump, Pelosi or any of the attendees.

ameraal likes this.
  4. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

When they go low, we go for the memes...

vespertine likes this.
  5. vespertine

vespertine In the name of love

They've been trying that approach for five years. Trump says this! Trump says that! Trump does this! Trump does that!

It's not working.

Besides, how could any of those headlines stand out when the very next day Trump would be acquitted?

Which of course Pelosi knew. Her move was fantastic, symbolic, and will be remembered.

6. ameraal

ameraal huzzah!

not sure trump behaving like this is news:

but i can't quite stop watching the reporter's reaction:

7. ameraal

ameraal huzzah!

sorry to drone on but as democrats are proving how completely useless they are (republicans proposals to the left of theirs, the disappearance of joe biden, pelosi's crazy rubbish bill), a new poll shows 55% of americans think trump is doing a good job in handling the pandemic.

it all just beggars belief.

8. vespertine

vespertine In the name of love

9. Ag

Ag User

Fucksake.

10. cwej

cwej User

Still agog after all these years. He never fails to amaze me.

11. cwej

cwej User

watching the US press conference with Trump and two scientists... I've never heard such bull from so-called experts. The woman said basically that America is better than Spain and Italy so they're reporting things better so they'll solve this better... and the man said 'models are only as good as the assumptions you put in them' - and basically that these models showing 80,000-200,000 deaths are probably just making people anxious. It's like North Korea.

12. ameraal

ameraal huzzah!

trump's campaign spokesperson became his latest press secretary!
    here she is a month ago with that other trash that actually got fired from fox news.

harvard grad :)

13. ameraal

ameraal huzzah!

in case it gets lost in the corona thread.

genius trolling.

Peekaboo and Alla like this.
  14. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

This is just getting more and more out of hand :disco:

Nancy Pelosi: “I would rather he not be taking something that has not been approved by the scientists, especially in his age group, and in his, shall we say, weight group: ‘Morbidly obese,’ they say,”

“Pelosi is a sick woman,” Trump said in response. “She’s got a lot of problems, a lot of mental problems.”

Lucille and Zu-Klara like this.
  15. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

But Joe Biden stutters sometimes!

POP! and Soldi like this.
  16. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara BEWiLDERED

:D Can you imagine that happening here? “Well, Priti is a sick woman. She’s got a lot of problems, a lot of mental problems.”

Not that Queen Emily (or whoever) wouldn’t have a POINT :side-eye:

Lucille, Soldi, Shirley and 1 other person like this.
  17. COB

COB Pop it in here thanks

I'd love it if Nancy would back up the shade and clapbacks by actually standing up to Trump's agenda in any meaningful way, but that's probably too much to ask for these days :(

ameraal likes this.
  18. ameraal

ameraal huzzah!

pelosi is shameful. calling him morbidly obese is utterly disgusting.

this.

and what (the fuck) does this have to do with anything. honestly, vor, stop trying to make him palatable in comparison to the other human garbage because he is not.

Peekaboo and Jark like this.
  19. Soldi

Soldi #VoteSoldi

I think for a cunt like Trump you can call him what you want. It’s fair game.

20. Suomi

Suomi User

oh come ON

21. Jark

Jark bon appètit, baby

IS he morbidly obese? He just looks standard old rich person chunky to me.

22. Ag

Ag User

He's a GROSS FAT NAZI CUNT.

Whatever.

I relate to Pelosi. She's just adding SHADY TAGS because she's bored.

Shirley, Lucille, Jark and 2 others like this.
  23. Ag

Ag User

Oh I'd say so.

24. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe SioráfZen

The thing is though he is palatable in comparison to Trump, and indeed, to almost anyone else the Republicans have a chance of nominating. Equating Biden and Trump is disingenuous, childish, and ultimately unhelpful as well. All it achieves is ceding more ground to the right.

Ag and VoR like this.
  25. ameraal

ameraal huzzah!

that's your opinion. and it's the reason people end up stuck with choices like biden or trump. oh but he isn't putting kids in cages and he doesn't say crude things!
    wow, what a high standard.

and don't put words in my mouth, please, i was not equating biden to trump. they're awful in very different ways.

as for pelosi, disregard her flair for cheap theatrics and see what she's actually doing. insufferable.

Peekaboo likes this.
  26. ameraal

ameraal huzzah!

and where the fuck does that lead?

27. Jark

Jark bon appètit, baby

Dissing Trump is fun but it only energises his base - you or I doing it on the internet is nothing but I'm surprised people like Peliso haven't clocked on. He needs to be starved of all oxygen by the media, exposure is his fuel.

Beverley likes this.
  28. Soldi

Soldi #VoteSoldi

I just think we shouldn’t be getting our knickers in a twist about a man being called obese, (which is true is it not?) who boasts about sexually assaulting women, banning transgender people from serving in the military, stirring up tensions based on his views on certain groups of people and telling his citizens to inject themselves with bleach. And that’s just a FEW things he’s done/said off the top of my head.

COB and Ag like this.
  29. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I only have a vague interest in this AMERICAN HORROR STORY but I think what ameraal is saying is that as the Speaker of the House Pelosi should be above those things. She has more power than probably 95% of Americans to stand up to Trump and what she chooses to do is to call him FAT. It's POOR and it doesn't really help anyone.

ameraal, Jark, Lucille and 1 other person like this.
  30. COB

Of course he's better than Trump and I understand that in that situation you'd feel you have to vote for the lesser of two evils, but decades of choosing the lesser of two evils created the political environment that led to Trump in the first place. I would probably vote for Biden given the circumstances, but I'm honestly very worried about what happens after that (and that doesn't mean I want Trump to win since that absolute nonsense seems to be certain people's usual go-to response here).

My big fear about a Biden presidency is that it'll be four years where the material conditions of the vast majority of Americans don't actually improve, but there's lots of 'everything's back to normal' messaging to placate the media, the working class are pushed even further away from the Democrats than they already are... then in 2024 the Republicans run an extremely charismatic 35 year-old who wins in a landslide, but is an open fascist who makes Trump look like a kitten.

The way you don't cede ground to the right is to offer an actual left-wing alternative to voters, which the Democratic Party isn't interested in doing (and never will be while they're so beholden to their donors).

31. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

To be completely honest am, I do think you (and a fair few posters, to be fair) have kind of lost perspective on this one. I get it, we live in depressing times. But as ZenGiraffe rightly points out, making out that everybody in power is totally evil and corrupt (aside from Saint Bernie of course, or are we still mad at him for displaying rational common sense in the end?) does way worse in terms of potentially disenfranchising people than allowing a glimmer of hope and nuance here and there.

Just my opinion of course. But a few of the tweets/videos you've posted recently from sources that are essentially the pro-Bernie equivalent of Fox News have been... puzzling, to say the least.

POP! and Ag like this.
  32. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe SioráfZen

It's very defeatist to assume that. There has been success at the grassroots level of the Democratic Party, which if I were American, would be where I would be focusing my energy to achieve change. Also, Democrats are much less likely than Republicans to hold back criticism of a president of their own party, so Biden should always feel pressure from the left and the working classes.

VoR likes this.
  33. COB

Which sources are "the pro-Bernie equivalent of Fox News", @VoR?

34. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Well I was particularly thinking of this slightly baffling one, but on closer inspection am isn't actually quoting left-wing sources at all, this is a straight-up pro Trump feed! :D

POP! likes this.
  35. COB

He should, but I don't have much faith he will listen to the left wing of his party - he was talking about the possibility of appointing Republicans to his cabinet as recently as a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but signalling like that (particularly so long before the election) doesn't fill me with confidence he'll do anything more than throw some tiny crumbs to the left.

36. COB

I agree with this - I think the best move for the left wing movement in the US would be to focus on smaller scale stuff like local government, work towards getting more progressive candidates in the House and Senate (including primarying more establishment Democrats where necessary, AOC-style) and to try and keep the movement in the public eye.

37. COB

It's very important to check your sources, and if I'd posted this I'd like to think I would have found a different one.

38. COB

On the subject of media bias and good v bad sources, there is an issue of certain things being ignored by 'reputable' outlets. I'm thinking in particular about the Tara Reade allegations, which (apart from some left-wing sites like The Intercept) were initially pushed by the likes of Fox News and the Daily Caller, despite being absolutely valid and deserving of coverage. In fact, if those far right outlets hadn't covered the story, would it have become big enough for the mainstream media to cover it? Perhaps CNN and MSNBC etc should've given it coverage earlier so they didn't look like they were covering for Biden/believe women until it's politically inconvenient. Obviously this happens on both sides for lots of issues, but this one really irritates me as it seems to indicate the hypocrisy more nakedly than usual. I'm more thinking out loud than making an actual point here (as much as I ever make one :tongueout:)

Gangsta Nancy Lam likes this.
  39. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

I usually feel quite immune to Trump shock-and-outrage, because - let's face it - after five years of daily trolling, your brain eventually puts him on ignore... but his declaration that he was taking that anti-malaria medicine "just because" actually made me stop in my tracks a little. I'm not sure why. I think maybe because I generally assume that while he is crass and offensive, he was not STUPID per se. But this struck me as a deeply STUPID thing to do, and to say, even by his own standards. He is truly stranger than fiction.

40. COB

It's very weird, isn't it - some of the stuff he does I assume there's some sort of weird messaging to his base or stupid '5D chess' strategising going on, but this one just seems completely baffling.