The Vinyl Resurgence

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by OutSynk, Apr 25, 2017.

1. OutSynk

OutSynk User

What do you think of the current vinyl craze?
    Have you been sucked into it?
    Were you always sucked into it?
    Do you even buy physical media anymore?
    Are CDs DEAD?

2. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

It's actually quite annoying because some of us have pretty much always had vinyl and now it's "hip", it's become fucking expensive and charity shops having nothing but old classical and shite Top Of The Pops compilations in. I went to British Heart Foundation last week and they had a fucking Sheena Easton album for £8 in there. EIGHT POUNDS! It wasn't even a GOOD(ish) one, it was "What Comes Naturally". FUCK OFF!

I continue to buy CDs, I rarely buy new vinyls cause of the price point and because, although I love playing vinyl, I still think it's a better sound from CDs. I don't think they are dead- indeed, I could see CD singles actually being revived if they did it properly and allowed you to have loads of mixes and a couple of bsides and what have you. I think they will die down more and more, though, before a vinyl-esque revival.

3. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I had to pay A WHOLE POUND for an album of Wendy Craig reading bedtime stories a few weeks back!

4. lolly

I don't know if there will be as much of an appetite for a CD revival as the vinyl one, as much as I prefer the format as well. It wasn't the dominant format for anywhere near as long as vinyl, so I suspect that not as many people have an affection for it, and I don't think it will be as strong for those who do have it.

That said, it was the last physical format that sold in vast numbers, and I do think that there will always be a level of demand for physical product.

5. Ag

Ag User

I was planning on starting a vinyl topic.

I am a man obsessed with vinyl now. What a treat to be able to BUY and PLAY new and old music in physical form again.

6. Suedey

Suedey Compulsive Liar

Agreed with Sheena OF COURSE re: the fact that SOME OF US QUEENS have been buying vinyl for years (in fact DECADES) etc. etc.

And yes I still buy CDs and also of course vinyl. I'm just a music whore consumer slut type creature. HOWEVER - I have been downsizing too in terms of my 'physical' music collection (sad, I know) but every weekend I find myself taking more and more CDs (and sometimes vinyl) to the charity shops. Obviously I have the mp3s on my hard drives, clouds etc. It's part of my new zen thing I guess.

7. Sheena

They're even trying to bring back CASSETTES now... :manson:

8. Suedey

Suedey Compulsive Liar

Oh FOR FUCK'S SAKE :manson:

But yeah as you were saying earlier, it's all cyclical.. so it'll take QUITE some time for CDs to come back in fashion I suppose.

I just don't care really. I've always bought music, so I'll continue to do so. I think CD will always be my preferred format but I am sure I am in the minority and they'll just stop making them outside of special editions etc. in the next few decades.

Thank GOODNESS for legacy acts in that regard.. fleecing the faithful has always been frowned upon but at least the record labels know there are enough idiots (i.e. people like me) that will always consume their favourite artists' outputs, so they'll continue to press along..

9. Suedey

Suedey Compulsive Liar

I mean let's face it, VINYL is GREAT to look at and hold etc. but unless the music has been recorded on ANALOGUE equipment then really it'll always sound worse than CD and so I have no time for spending £17.99 on a new release on vinyl EXCEPT of course if the mp3 downloads come free with it - which to be fair most of the time they do...

10. straightorbroken

straightorbroken Trust the Duchess

I've got the Yooka Laylee OST on vinyl coming my way, but I've not bought any since my days looking for music in 2nd hand stores of that nature.

11. octophone

octophone a wonderful wooden reason

I never stopped buying vinyl really but if anything, I buy it less now because of its price point.

My issue with the vinyl revival is that it has been steered towards albums. Now, vinyl isn't always the best format for an album - as much as some bands benefit from an imposed time restriction and the notion that there will be a breather half-way, it's not true for everything. CDs are great for longer programmes with lower noise floors ie classical, ambient etc. They're also great for compendiums and compilations. If one thing makes me heart sick of the vinyl fetishism already, it's wanksock wielding moaners who want everyfuckingthing on vinyl regardless of the cost and practicality. You'll see it on superdeluxeedition - "Bawjaws McFee Announces Comprehensive 14CD Set" - first comment - "vinyl?" No, not vinyl because you'd need 25 LPs, it would cost a fortune and you'd turn your nose up at the price and download it off a blog instead, you cheap cunt.

What vinyl is amazing for is singles. The 7" is the one true format for a single. With an a-side and a b-side. And a time restriction. And the joy of flipping them time and time again when the b-side is up to par. BUT the industry wants £12 for a single one day in the year. And, even outside of RSD, they cost quite a bit nowadays because they almost all get manufactured abroad on tiny runs. So we get albums we all ready have on vinyl that's a funny colour and too heavy to be stored in its sleeve without ringwear.

Fuck off. Basically.

Ellie likes this.
  12. Marilyn

Marilyn User

Super Deluxe Edition is my hate-read blog of choice, fantastic for news and information, unbelievably awful for anything else. 500 comment threads full of nothing but whinging cunts and the guy who runs is it a complete twat too

Next time there's a storm in a gay teacup on Moopy we should all remember the Super Deluxe Edition controversy over whether the b-sides disc of a Paul McCartney reissue is available on CD or download, including endless posts, endless comments and reaching out to Paul for comment on this LIFE-THREATENING ISSUE

Zu-Klara, Christian and octophone like this.
  13. octophone

If superdeluxeedition bugs you, NEVER read the Steve Hoffman Forums or, as I call it, "America's Got Aspergers".

Marilyn likes this.
  14. Marilyn

Marilyn User

Imagine buying and wearing this https://www.shopsuperdeluxe.com/products/super-deluxe-edition-official-t-shirt

:D

:D!

15. big ron

big ron User

I know a lot of people who dj professionally who filled skips up with the stuff years ago as no one wanted it and it took up so much space. Now they are gutted because all that old tat is selling for £££s

I do quite fancy having a deck in my office with some nice speakers to listen to jazz on.

Ag likes this.
  16. Ag

Ag User

The amount of old DJ vinyl from the 1990s I've found in record sales is quite extraordinary. As a fan of dance music from the era, it's the FUCKING TITS.

17. octophone

DJs were some of the people who were quickest to get OFF vinyl because digital files were easier to manipulate in terms of mixing etc. Plus, if some cheesy quaver jogs the Technics, it's you that looks a cunt. Don't have that stress with a laptop.

Ag likes this.
  18. big ron

big ron User

For most of my mates, it was simply a case of vinyl weighing a fucking ton.

19. octophone

Well, there is THAT. It is a pain to cart about. I remember being really jealous of a DJ who had 90% of his set on 2 self-burned CDRs. He worked out his set and split them between the discs so that he was only ever going from one disc to the next and back. This is back in the 90's which I used to waddle about with a big bag of 7"'s and a few CDs.

20. big ron

big ron User

For a DJ whore like me it was a golden ticket in.

21. OutSynk

OutSynk User

I highly doubt CD is ever going to have this kind of comeback. As a material object it just doesn't have the same appeal to it. The artwork is too small, jewel cases are ugly and the whole thing just isn't as interactive. Why would you put on a CD when you can listen to the files on your computer? Of course never say never when there are people who want fucking cassettes back.

I personally am new to vinyl and still kind of 'figuring it out' but I think the best of both worlds might be having the vinyl plus lossless files on your computer. I want to own my favourite music and having it as a physical object is more rewarding. At the same time there is much more hassle with vinyl and the prices are fucking ridiculous (not to mention shipping costs) so it does make you wonder if spending money on it is really worth it.

22. octophone

Cassettes can fuck off. Given that I hobble around the experimental fringes, I am already fed up of having to buy a tape in order to get the download to actually listen to the music and not being able to just buy a download because that's not "punk". It's needlessly retro.

23. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

I've still got all of my old vinyl upstairs from the olden days which includes my parents' vinyl so it ranges from the 1950s to the early 1990s. I got a USB record player that plugs into the stacker in the living room so I could transfer it all to digital seven years ago. I did one single and that's only because it was by the holiday camp entertainment from when I was little and my brother and sister wanted a copy of it and they only sold about 200 copies. My USB record player has a tuppence stuck on the arm with blu-tack and I also have a few centres for ex-jukebox singles on it.

I'm firmly stuck on digital now and will not be buying vinyl again ever. Despite all of my vinyl upstairs being defunct for me I won't be getting rid any time soon because I have all the Iron Maiden albums up there and I love to look at the cover art and I reckon all of my Queen albums will be worth something in years to come so I'm leaving them all to the spawn in my will and she can dispose of them as she wants.

24. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

Cassettes are a massive no from me too. The hours I spent trying to reel one back in with a pencil because the player chewed it up or twisted it ...

25. Steptacular

Steptacular User

I love all my mum's old vinyls from the 70s and 80s, she's got a right :disco: collection, she especially went wild down Woolies in 76 and 83.

Personally I don't have anything to play vinyl on. I don't even have anything to play CDs on!

26. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

The cassette "resurgence" is hilarious. It was a TOTALLY SHIT format even at the TIME!

27. lolly

And didn't everyone KNOW it? I mean I had a lot of cassettes, but even then I always knew the sound of vinyl was better on our very run of the mill 'music centre' :disco:, and cassettes were just a bit more convenient, I guess.

When I think of the frankly bewildering array of different quality cassettes you could buy (I seem to recall TDK and BASF were my favourites), and even though the more expensive ones may have sounded better at first, they all deteriorated rapidly to muffled, dull and often distorted noise before long.

28. OutSynk

OutSynk User

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aren't you turned on even a little bit though?

Zu-Klara likes this.
  29. Ag

Ag User

The first picture turns me on a bit.

30. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Cassette was my format of choice for a long time just for the convenience and portability of it. They also looked very neat racked together which I liked :D

I used to tape my vinyl albums on to them in the early days, eventually moving to tape to tape copies (a double cassette deck became ESSENTIAL). I didn't move to CD until 1988 and even then, I still used to buy albums on cassette as the price differential was quite large.

I have no idea where they all went. I probably dumped them in a skip at some point. My VHS tapes and Minidiscs went the same way :(

31. Sheena

I never bought cassettes other than Madge ones for the collection. I HATED them. I didn't see the point- tape your vinyl onto blank cassette if you were desperate to use in a walkman...

Sharla likes this.
  32. octophone

I tended to buy tapes when there was extra music on them. The The's "Soul Mining" (pictured above, heh!) has 6 extra songs, "The Wonderful And Frightening World Of The Fall" had 7, taking it to a 16 track, 8 songs a side beauty. Other than that, I preferred vinyl and making compilation tapes.

33. Ag

Ag User

I had an extraordinary amount of tapes. I culled the majority of them about years ago.

34. Sheena

I still have my Madge ones in a box.

I suppose I should buy Saint Etienne's at SOME POINT for the collection.

35. Sheena

I also had quite a good little find the other month- "Ray of Light" (the album) on Indonesian cassette for 25p in a charity shop (just caught my eye and didn't think by the time of "Ray of Light" that album cassettes would have been THAT popular) and I ebayed it for £15 or so...

Tried the same thing with "Evita", though, and no one GAVE a shit :D

36. Ag

Ag User

A bone of contention between me and my parents is the whereabouts of my teenage vinyl collection.

37. Ag

Ag User

My original copy of RoL I had on tape. They were very much still a going concern in 1998.

38. octophone

Tapes were the best selling singles format at one point. When Walkmans turned into iPods, that's when tapes died.

39. Ag

Ag User

I got my last tape in 2001. CDs were so cheap by then and also THE INTERNET.

40. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Oh, this happened to me too. My mother swears she didn't bin the lot, but I'm quite sure she did :D