The Vinyl Resurgence

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by OutSynk, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

I was also still buying cassingles up until about 2001. While I had a Discman, I preferred my Walkman as it had a radio, so still used cassettes.

I had THREE Mini Disc players too over the course of a few years. I thought they were the future in 1999. They were great for rearranging the order of tracks.

2. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Judging you in Google Translate

My mother threatened to bin my music collection when I moved out in 2007, but I managed to hide it away in the loft so she never did, and when I moved back in at Christmas time it was all there, vinyl, cassettes, CD singles, the lot! :disco:

3. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

I have never purchased vinyl in my life.

I did receive some as a prize for a dance competition in a pub when I was 8.

4. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

I still have Now 15 through to 38 on cassette. I knew that cassettes were dead the first time I wanted to listen to a song on one of them and downloaded it because I couldn't be bothered getting the tape to the right place.

5. OutSynk

OutSynk User

The Cassette Resurgence.

6. octophone

octophone artificial bloom, hydroponic skin

I had 2 MiniDisc players - they were great for live sets. One of them still works perfectly, the other needs the odd rattle.

7. octophone

I won a picture disc of "It's Late" by Shakin' Stevens at the Ideal Homes Exhibition in Glasgow in 1983. It was broadcast live on Radio Clyde and was presented by Mark Goodier. I also got a book about Kajagoogoo. Only, I had to answer three questions about David Bowie. No Bowie prize. Hmm.

8. big ron

big ron MOD

My brother swapped all my vinyl for coke. :(

SDF and Ag like this.
  9. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I had two Minidisc players and really loved them both. Compared to lugging around a CD Walkman (or whatever you called them), they really felt like the future.

I left one in the gym and the screws came out of the lid of the other one which rendered it unplayable. I bought that first iPod with the physical scroll wheel instead of replacing it.

10. OutSynk

OutSynk User

At work one of my tasks is to make copies of certain CDs that are in danger of becoming unreadable and apparently when the previous guy was doing this one of the CDs blew up in the CD-ROM.:disco: Hope it won't happen to your favorite Madonna CD!

11. Krust

Krust User

CDs all the way for me, as they offer IMO the best ratio of sound quality and storage space needed. Still use my first Technics CD player which I bought with my pocket money in the early 90s and which somehow magically plays all CD-Rs.

I am however concerned on how less stuff is released - or only as terrible digipacks which are a collector's nightmare for me. I probably buy half of my music as FLAC downloads nowadays. The other half is catalogue to complete my collection.

12. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

All the CD-Rs that I burned BACK IN THE DAY have pretty much kicked the bucket. They skip a lot if they play at all - not that I've tried any of them recently as I don't own a CD player any more.

13. Steptacular

Steptacular User

I had hundreds of cassette singles from between 1994 (when I first started buying music) and 1999. It was just the format of choice at the time for those of us who had a double cassette deck boombox and wanted to pay a quid fifty less than a CD. I was never one for albums until the early 00s and when I got a CD player for Christmas 99 I never bought one again. Sold them all at a car boot for 20p each not long after and re-bought my favourites on CD on eBay.

Christian likes this.
  14. OutSynk

OutSynk User

The shipping costs just suck all the fun out of ordering vinyl. Saw a record I wanted near mint at the price of 10 euros and was all excited then saw the postage is 13-19 euros and that's within Europe.:zombie:

15. OutSynk

OutSynk User

16. octophone

My immediate thought is "Cool story bro".

17. octophone

(although, minor point for putting "Like A Virgin" on clear vinyl....I see what you did there although white would have been better)

18. Kalabaliken

Finding old 80s stuff released only on vinyl on discogs for pennies is much more satisfying than buying new vinyl at £25 that you're never going to play.

Though I am miffed I missed out on that Kylie Fever one.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Ellie likes this.
  19. octophone

I have noticed HMV/Fopp are selling off a lot of vinyl just now - a lot of titles either down to £12 or in a 2 for £25 deal depending on which type of store you frequent. The high squeal of a deflating bubble is audible. But that's probably "part of the audio experience" too.

20. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

SHIT, I’m going to have to go Sainsbury’s hunting IMMEDIATELY!

21. Sheena

22. Sheena

Also, that isn’t actually right. Like how CDs used to be, isn’t just about lower dealer prices for a few weeks to encourage people to buy and to get them in store. Like the HMV Sale used to be in the good old days...

23. octophone

My perception of this is probably tilted because of some of the reductions Fopp have had and not many places still have a Fopp store but it looks and feels like overstocks. A lot of albums with a higher price ticket underneath the new one.

24. Sheena

But Fopp is just HMV now...it isn’t like (again) the good old Fopp days!

25. octophone

Fopp still gets different stock and different deals - it's MUCH better for books and often has some of the more extreme reductions. I recently bought a 2CD of Laid by James for £5 and the price sticker had "Fopp Only" is v. small writing printed across the bottom of the barcode. HMV use Fopp a bit differently.

26. Sheena

Oh true. It’s just that the old “overstocks on the cheap” method is sadly dead.

HMV really is fucking depressing nowadays. I went to Oxford Street this morning and actually had to tell off a till person who was trying to con a foreign person who could hardly speak English into buying one of their HMV Points cards, without once mentioning it actually cost money to do so...

Fucking disgrace

27. Kalabaliken

I do wonder how long this vinyl resurgence will last. Is it a FAD?

28. Mericat

Mericat User

I kept all my old vinyl from the days before CDs (yes, that old) and I never took to tapes much really, as I prefer to lie prone and chilled when listening to music. I didn't have a record player for years, however, til my thoughtful man got me a lovely old Dansette a few years ago. I started occasionally buying vinyl again from then.

29. Sheena

Just got my Madge vinyls after going to four stores. Literally as I picked them up (2 of each, with the other copies going to a VERY dear friend who is a Marge collector and who often gets me BITS AND BOBS on the Saint Etienne tip...), some HARRIDAN started screaming at me that it was only one each, even though there was a copy of "Like A Virgin" left on the shelf. She blatantly was on the ebay, so I just ignored her. Five minutes later at the self tills, I walked in, she didn't notice me and her husband came over and said "Did you get them" to which she replied "Only one, some fat cunt had the same idea as us" ( :D :( ) which made it all the more delightful as I sashayed away saying "Same idea, but with more records" to them...

Pipo, Kalabaliken, SDF and 1 other person like this.
  30. OutSynk

OutSynk User

What a stupid bitch.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  31. octophone

I don't think so. It'll settle down and remain a small but important segment of the market.

It's Cassette Store Day tomorrow. That can fuck off.

Zu-Klara likes this.
  32. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

Now there’s a format which certainly does NOT want reviving. Oh the horribly muffled cardigan-over-the-speaker sound quality of so many pre-recorded tapes, especially those awful CLEAR CASSETTES, not to mention the tears and traumas whenever one got CHEWED

33. octophone

I used tapes a lot in the 90's and into the early 00's but that was for my 4-track tape recorder, to which I was practically welded for a few years. My affection for them is largely based on a handful of extended programmes that still feel to me like "the album" rather than any real love for the format.

34. Steptacular

Steptacular User

Guys, what are you all playing your vinyl on? My mother is offering to buy me a record player for Christmas. Ideally it'd have built in speakers and be less than £200.

35. Ag

Ag User

A record player.

36. Sheena

I have individual separates which are all donkeys years old but intend to upgrade soon...

37. OutSynk

OutSynk User

Built in speakers? That sounds like it would be awful.

Anyway...if you don't want to ruin your records it should have a tonearm with a counterweight. Audio Technica LP120 is probably one of the best ones right now when it comes to quality vs price which is the one I've got. If you have powered speakers you can directly connect them to the player.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    SDF likes this.
  38. Steptacular

Steptacular User

Well mainly because if it didn't I'd have to fork out for speakers on top. It's all a very pricey road to go down.

39. Sheena

Yeah built in speakers will be SHIT

40. Ag

Ag User

Mine has built in speakers, but I have grand plans to upgrade. I have found a new source of vinyl and it needs to be the tits.