The Vinyl Resurgence

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by OutSynk, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Edward

Edward User

What I want to know is WHAT HAVE YOU ALL DONE WITH YOUR EXISTING CDs?

This is a massive dilemma for me. I feel like a dinosaur for hanging on to them.

2. Edward

Edward User

Bear in mind I have over 300 albums currently attracting dust.

3. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I’d keep them. I threw everything onto iTunes a while ago and put my CDs in the cupboard but actually I find the effort of having to turn the laptop on - IKR, phew, bit tired now - to listen to music quite jarring so have increasingly taken to poking round the cupboard for a CD, but then I tend to buy new things on CD anyway (where available; if not, WAV) rather than paying money for some shitty 256 AAC

4. octophone

octophone artificial bloom, hydroponic skin

I've kept them. I'm fast running out of space so a clear out is in order but I'd quite like to do it in the name of art.

5. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Judging you in Google Translate

It was announced that vinyl saw an increase of just 1.6% to 4.2 million sales in 2018. With HMV going later this year, is the bubble about to burst on vinyl? I had a feeling it was going to be a bit of a passing fad. It's just TOO expensive - who the fuck is going to pay £30 for Abba Gold for example?

6. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

The price point is beginning to drop, which will help. I noticed recent new releases were more often around the £17 mark than the £20+ it has been...

7. octophone

An additional concern is Record Store Day having conclusively jumped the shark in the last two years with all sorts of overpriced rubbish sitting in the stores long after the event. Sure, there's always the speedy sellers but the majors have brought in a glut of useless tat, LPs on coloured vinyl at £35 when you can score a s/h original at EX+ or better for £10-15.

8. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Yes, the bubble is bursting all right - growth is stalling and it's still considerably smaller than CDs (which continue to plummet) and paid downloads. Never mind the fact that with supermarkets moving away from music and HMV looking likely to go, where is it going to be sold?

I think it will continue, but in a niche way.

9. Sheena

This is an issue, for sure. The ridiculous "Coloured Vinyl" market is already pissing me off. Not so much a first issue coloured vinyl (example- all the Bananarama ones recently- no interest to me, but ok), but when you get albums that keep getting reissued in multiple formats/ colours etc. just to fleece collectors. It's the same old story- the majors can't help themselves, trying to rinse the industry dry. The Michael Jackson releases recently were ridiculously priced.

And yes, RSD. Again, invaded by the majors, I suppose. But utter twaddle and I also can't be fucked going and bothering to elbow my way through the ebayers (well, until Saint Etienne release something else).

10. Sheena

Supermarkets are actually introducing vinyl, though...

11. Sheena

Tesco started last year, Sainsbury's have upped the ante and have quite a lot in some stores and I read Morrisons were starting early this year.

Lidl will be next!

12. lolly

Tesco and Sainsburys have both recently indicated they are moving out of music. My local branch of Sainsburys has reduced its vinyl offering to under half what it was less than a year ago.

13. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

It was always going to hit a ceiling as it is so much more expensive than CDs

I think it will continue, but probably in not such a big way over the next few years

What’s amazons share of the market? It will surely benefit the most from HMV going

14. Sheena

I thought that was just CDs? The one stocking music nearest to me has, as I said, just introduced a much bigger section. Plus, if they weren't bothering with music, why are they still releasing Sainsbury's exclusive stuff?

15. lolly

There was an article in music week towards the end of last year. One of them actually explicitly stated they intended moving away from music, the other had had a change of management structure that completely shifted focus away from music. The whole article was about the challenges facing the industry.

16. lolly

of the physical market Amazon are second to HMV. I think vinyl particularly benefits from brick and mortar sales, which isn't so much of a problem if you live in a place with alternatives, but less so if you're in smaller towns.

17. octophone

I hate buying vinyl over the internet - I got fed up v. fast of bashed covers due to poor packaging. That said, when bricks and mortar let me down on Charli XCX, Amazon did package that very well so maybe they've got better.

18. lolly

I've found Amazon are usually good for vinyl. The Universal website sent a 7" in just an oversized cardboard (not even corrugated) envelope before Christmas though. And it was a limited edition that had already sold out, so trying to exchange it wasn't an option.

19. OutSynk

OutSynk User

BUMP

The entire Britney discography is slowly (actually not so slowly) being released by Urban Outfitters and I think I need it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  20. octophone

HMV's current vinyl sale has a lot of blatant overruns - reissue LPs down from the £20 to £23 price range down to between £8 and £13. Is a £10 vinyl LP the new £5 CD?

21. OutSynk

OutSynk User

The CRASH is IMMINENT.:shock:

22. Sheena

They’ve ALWAYS done that, though? I bought myself a new “Parallels Lines” for £7 in a sale about two years ago. It’s nothing NEW.

Anything GOOD you remember? Not that it matters, given that there isn’t one remotely near me...

23. octophone

I nabbed Cure/Banshees side project The Glove for £7.99 (down from a highly ambitious £20.99) and David Sylvian's double LP "Gone To Earth" for £14.99 which was half-price and a good score. They had the 2LP of the last Marc Almond compilation for a tenner which was a bit of a steal but had too much solo guff on it for me to want it. They also had a clutch of those more recent compilations that Demon put together like Alternative 60s/80's and that sort of thing. Other than that, it was pretty much the usual suspects.