The Vinyl Resurgence

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by OutSynk, Apr 25, 2017.

1. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Record Store Day 2020 confirmed for 18th April. Presumably the list of what treats we can expect will follow closer to the date.

2. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Last year's RSD was a bit shit with loads of complaints about allocations and pressing quality so this one could be important. The majors will jump ship as soon as it stops yielding a high enough return. Which would actually be good for RSD, IMO.

3. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I wanted LOADS last year and got the lot- but a lot of it not from the day itself. Indeed, I've never failed to find what I want AFTER the event at a lower price than my local store, so I doubt I'll be out the front queuing up, but NEVER SAY NEVER!

4. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

I think that's exactly the problem - that was unthinkable around 2015/16 but now, it's becoming easier. Copies are turning up all over the place after the shop-only week is up and, indeed, the stuff that doesn't shift often gets punted on artist websites or through normal distribution cheaper than the RSD premium.

5. lolly

Didn't 2019 underperform compared to 2018? Or at least I think I read the revenue was smaller, considering an increased number of releases.

6. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Yes. It was accepted that there were too many releases and the core audience simply couldn't afford everything as well as (finally) turning their noses up at some of the prices. There were also a lot of returns due to poor pressings and late stock arrivals although I think the latter was restricted to the US.

7. OutSynk

OutSynk My name isn’t Alice

The resurgence of The Vinyl Resurgence thread.:disco:

8. lolly

To celebrate what would have been David Bowie's 73rd birthday, a #RSD20 release has been announced.

CHANGESNOWBOWIE which has been widely bootlegged for years but never available on record will be released in limited quantities on LP and CD for Record Store Day on 18th April, 2020. The cover art for the album will feature a portrait of David by renowned photographer Albert Watson, taken in New York in 1996.

CHANGESNOWBOWIE is a nine-track mostly acoustic session which was recorded in 1996 in New York during rehearsals for Bowie’s 50th birthday concert at Madison Square Garden. The BBC broadcast the session the following year, on Bowie’s 50th birthday on January 8, 1997 by Mary Anne Hobbs featuring an interview and messages and questions from the likes of Scott Walker, Damon Albarn, Bono, Robert Smith and many more.

Today on Bowie's birthday (8 January), the first track from the session ‘The Man Who Sold The World’ has been released on streaming services.

More details about the album will be announced shortly.

CHANGESNOWBOWIE is a limited edition nine-track LP/ CD of previously unreleased material to be issued for RSD 2020 on Saturday 18th April.

9. Ag

Ag User

Ch ch ch ch no thanks.

octophone likes this.
  10. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

That's been around on bootlegs for ages with more tracks and messages from Bowie admirers too. Clearly at least one major is banking on still being able to press any old shit onto vinyl for RSD. Having a CD is just cheeky with such a short running time.

11. OutSynk

Anyone remember KOSHEEN? Their debut album RESIST is being reissued on LIMITED 1000 copies of TRANSLUCENT YELLOW vinyl.
    [​IMG]

Ag likes this.
  12. OutSynk

Is everyone excited about this year's RSD? I want Robyn, Charli XCX and Britney. Spoke to a local record store today and they will probably not have Robyn but will likely have the others.

13. lolly

Nothing on it to get me interested.

14. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I’d quite forgotten about this :disco:

15. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

I'd like a few things but, as usual, there's nothing I'd feel bereft without. Except maybe "Vroom Vroom" on 12".

16. OutSynk

The album or that remix? I'm actually a HUGE fan of them. Their first 3 albums are all AMAZING, the last two less so.

17. OutSynk

This sounds like something right UP your STREET @Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara likes this.
  18. Sheena

Robyn is my big must, but I’ll go for Britney, the first Elton John album with extras and a couple of other bits I’m LESS bothered by.

19. SDF

SDF Bigger Than Us, OUT NOW

Robyns got something for record store day? :disco:

20. OutSynk

Yes.

21. SDF

SDF Bigger Than Us, OUT NOW

Now that really is a must

22. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Note that the Robyn release is marked as "RSD First" which means it'll get a wider release latter.

23. Sheena

Oh I forgot the two Shakespear's Sister releases as well

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  24. Sheena

But in theory, aren't they all? The record companies always hold back stock for post-RSD to sell directly.

25. lolly

I don't really understand that. It still states it's limited to 2000. So either that sells out, or the excess is sold on after. Or does it mean it's only 2000 copies initially and then it gets a wider release?

26. Sheena

I don't know, but I simply MUST have one

27. lolly

It's certainly the thing which tempts the most, but we won't be going to RSD as it's my birthday and we have other plans in Bath, which doesn't have anywhere participating in it.

Thank fuck there's no ABBA or else there probably would have been BLOOD.

octophone likes this.
  28. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

The latter. I imagine the later vinyl release will be on black vinyl tho'.

29. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Anything popular usually turns up again in some form or another, this is true.

30. OutSynk

Yeah Robyn is on red colored vinyl and the wide release will probably be black.

31. lolly

Record Store Day (UK at least) postponed to 20th June.

32. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Good move.

Hopefully they'll up a few pressings in the meantime.

33. OutSynk

Well hello let’s celebrate that my wallet can sigh in relief.

34. wurst

wurst User

Gosh I've become a proper vinyl collector over the past few years.
    I've been buying vinyl for a while as a way to support artists and albums I like with the shift to streaming, but it was a MAD HUNT for a particular colour variant of Orville Peck's Pony that really drove me over the edge - which has since further accelerated as I've been lucky enough to have a decent amount of disposable income due to working full-time as normal during lockdown.

I actually think it's a pretty healthy habit to have. I get genuine JOY from vinyl, it doesn't really decrease in value unless you're buying something that has a huge pressing, and I honestly think it sounds better. There's been some pressings recently (FKA Twigs' Magdalene and the recent Christine + The Queens EP spring to mind) that have sounded SO GOOD I've genuinely had to stop what I'm doing and just sit and listen to them & have a moment with the music.

I'd also think nothing of spending 50 quid+ on a night out or dinner, and spending that on vinyl gives me something that lasts UNTIL THE DAY I DIE :D (lucky relative stuck with a load of NICHE ARTIST COLOURED VINYL to try and flog on discogs for surprisingly decent prices).

You do have to get in there early though with the limited variants, as it's obviously become a profitable way for labels to recoup advances by printing 2000 or so of a special colour that's very likely to sell out. Albums that aren't really on your radar until you actually hear them (Jessie Ware springs to mind recently) often have their limited versions SOLD OUT before you even realise that you want to own it.

My best buy recently was a gold swirl variant of Caroline Polachek's Pang for £16.99. It's already going for £70+ on discogs, and I've only owned it about a MONTH! :disco:

35. OutSynk

Get money bitch:disco:

wurst likes this.
  36. wurst

wurst User

Anyway, not that ANYBODY IS ASKING but my fave place to buy is Norman Records. They do free shipping over £50, they are usually the cheapest for EVERYTHING as they are clearly trying to undercut Rough Trade and they have a loyalty points scheme which gives you a few quid off your next purchase (and also helps SUCK YOU IN to keep buying off them) :disco:

Rough Trade are generally more expensive, but also have free shipping over £50, and don't charge until your order is shipped so you can combine stuff that's in stock with pre-orders if you don't mind waiting. They've also randomly really expanded their £12.99 selection MASSIVELY recently which has meant I've suddenly started buying a load of albums I didn't even know I wanted :D

37. Sheena

I love buying and selling vinyl but not from New. I bought two Sade albums for 50p in a charity shop that I’ve flogged for £17 today and today I’ve picked up another 4 things between 50p-£2 that will get me £10-15 apiece.

I still buy mainly for my own collection, but I am enjoying selling on a lot right now.

38. Beryl

Beryl Boy stop, step awaaaaay.

My charity shops do not have any vinyl worth picking up. It’s all shite so I’m envious because I do enjoy having a look just in case.

39. Sheena

Most of mine don’t either, but there’s the occasional gem and the odd shop that has no idea what it’s up to. I travel quite far afield, but then I like doing it. Your local tip is also often a good bet, that’s where I find most of mine.

40. Beryl

Beryl Boy stop, step awaaaaay.

A tip? For real? You fish them out?