The Vinyl Resurgence

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by OutSynk, Apr 25, 2017.

1. wurst

wurst User

To be fair if I saw a copy of Diamond Life and Stronger Than Pride in a skip I’d probably FISH THEM OUT :D

Vaguely related, but Sade is probably due a set of vinyl reissues on limited PEARL coloured vinyl :disco:

Whatevar likes this.
  2. Whatevar

Whatevar WHAT!

The husband has always been into old records and has a huge collection. He has several record players, gramophones and a lovely big 1960s radiogram, which is like a sideboard that plays records, radio AND cassettes! :D

I’ve grown to like it and have my own small collection of vinyl now but I really want to get some Sade. We find that modern records are often poorly made so they jump more, which is a shame.

I still buy CD albums mainly.

3. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Nooo! Most tips have a shop, where stuff too good for the bins goes. Mine has hundreds of records. Often, it’s just granny records, but occasionally, someone will chuck a load in there which are good. It depends on how switched on the people who work there are- mine had been fairly slim pickings last year because they’d clocked on and we’re putting them aside to sell at a car boot. But then one day hundreds of decent records appeared- I asked the friendly lady I chat to and she said they’d not been making that much at the car boots so they’d given up and so we’re back in the shop at a quid apiece (The price stickers suggested they were way overpriced at the car boot).

It’s also not just mine- other local tips near me do similar things, admittedly with varying results. I’ve also picked up quite a lot of rare CDs I’ve managed to reflog- late 80s cd singles are a goldmine and I got a whole load for £3 which I sold for a fortune, including a £70 copy of Emma’s Eurovision classic “Give A Little Love Back To The World” :D

4. Sheena

Modern records were made on thinner vinyl in the 80s, hence the issues. But a really good record player solves that problem often- I rarely have anything jump.

Also, if you’re serious, invest in a Spin Clean record cleaner- about £70-£80ish on Amazon and worth every penny. Sorts out even the filthiest and most rubbish of records. Nice potential birthday present right there...

Whatevar likes this.
  5. Sheena

Oh and also car boots. Often full of idiots trying to get £5 for a shit Richard Clayderman album, but occasionally with “oh anything for a quid” style people you can pick up some real gems.

6. Sheena

Oh and I own all the first three Sade albums on vinyl and from memory, I paid £2 for Diamond Life and a quid each for the other two.

7. Whatevar

Whatevar WHAT!

I’ll keep looking!

Sheena likes this.
  8. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I SAW that Emma record on your shop on Discogs as I have it on my Wishlist but was I FUCK paying £70 for it! :D

9. Sheena

Someone did. I had loads of loons messaging me trying to get it stupidly. One even had a go at me saying it was outrageous and I should be ashamed charging that much and that I’d never sell it. :D

10. Kalabaliken

Yes there are crazy loons out there who will pay a fortune for stuff. Admittedly, I've paid that for official Eurovision programmes from the 80s, but they at least have a bit more collectors value than a CD single.

11. Sheena

Er, I’m not entirely sure how THAT works...:D

12. Kalabaliken

Well at least with an official programme of say 150 pages with photos, bios of the artists, lyrics, interviews etc is a bit more USEFUL than a CD single which has a cheapy one-sided insert. Maybe it's just me thinking books are better to look at than CDs, I dunno...

13. Suedey

Suedey The name is Rosé. Champagne Rosé.

I need to get my vinyl habit under control - honestly I'm just spending far too much money. I'm not just buying new stuff but also re-buying older stuff that I have on CD. Please God.

14. Suedey

Yep I got Diamond Life not that long ago from *SPITS* Oxfam at £1.99..

15. Sheena

I said I would never rebuy stuff...but do it all the time now.

16. Suedey

I can vaguely justify it when it's a new release and it comes with the download card / mp3s with Amazon (even though I'm a paid up Spotify subscriber)...

But when it's stuff that I'd already bought fairly cheaply years ago on CD from Fopp or CDWow or whatever AND I still have the CDs AND I've got all the mp3s ripped AND backed up, and yet here I am now I'm spending double or TRIPLE what I originally paid on the respective vinyls..??! :manson:

First world problem (corona era) I know but still.

17. octophone

octophone O = 0

I buy very little vinyl now - it needs to be a really nice item of itself like the Stereolab triple LP reissues or that Nurse With Wound box from last year. It's a space thing really. Plus so much of what I want now isn't available on any format other than digital and, if there is a physical, it's a fucking cassette or a lathe-cut record that costs £40. Such is the state of the underground (dude).

Suedey likes this.
  18. dUb

dUb IFFY

Anyone got any HOT TIPS for displaying vinyl covers on the wall? I've seen a few options online but not sure what to go for...

monsta likes this.
  19. OutSynk

OutSynk Apex predator

@dUb already looking for space for the new Britney cover.

dUb likes this.
  20. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

NAIL THEM ON THE WALL.

21. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I mean, they even have a hole in them already

Ag likes this.
  22. SDF

SDF We're all Angles in Chainz

dUb and monsta like this.
  23. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I was literally about to post :D

I always use Rubix frames, they’re really well made. I’m not sure if @dUb’s after that kind of click frame that you can swap in and out vinyls though.

dUb and SDF like this.
  24. dUb

dUb IFFY

Oh Rubix look great, hadn't come across them! Thanks! :disco:

monsta likes this.
  25. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Article in The Guardian yesterday

Back on track: UK vinyl sales heading for best year in three decades

UK sales of vinyl records are set to reach a three-decade high as fans unable to attend live music events during the pandemic channel their spare cash into building up their record collections.

Vinyl sales are up almost 10% this year, well on track to break the £100m mark by the end of 2020, making for the best year since 1990 when Sinead O’Connor and New Kids on the Block topped the charts. Sales by volume are also set to beat last year’s 4.3m.

It marks a remarkable bounce back given the market for physical music, from vinyl and CDs to cassettes and DVDs, plunged by almost half in April as the first lockdown shut high streets across the nation.

“We have seen 250% growth from the bottom of lockdown to where we are now,” said Drew Hill, managing director of Proper Music, the UK’s biggest independent distributor of vinyl and CDs. “I thought it could be catastrophic for the industry but during lockdown the kind of people buying records also probably went to a lot of gigs. They can’t do that so it seems fans are spending the money they used to on going to gigs each month on records.” Last week, Kylie Minogue wound back the years as Disco topped the vinyl album chart.

The pandemic has also fuelled the ongoing revival of cassettes, with sales up 85% so far this year, putting total sales on course to top £1m for the first time since renewed interest wound back the years for the format.

However, the picture is much less rosy for CDs, already facing inexorable decline at the hands of the streaming revolution, with sales down 30% in the year to date, according to the Entertainment Retailers Association (ERA). If that trend continues in the final weeks of this year CD sales will reach about £150m, the worst year since 1987.

“From the beginning of lockdown to now, CDs have actually made a remarkable recovery,” says Hill, who points out that weekly sales have tripled since the nadir in April. “I don’t know if I’d say it looked like the death of the CD in April, but sales have made a remarkable recovery from the levels we saw then. If the CD was in [terminal] freefall [because of the pandemic] I wouldn’t have expected to see that sort of bounce back.”

26. octophone

octophone O = 0

I noted that one of the "bundles" for the James/Happy Mondays tour included a CD of the new James album but with no vinyl option. I wonder how many people will just go, sure why not? for the sake of a tenner which won't feel like much if you're buying 4 tickets at £50 each plus the usual fees. It's a creative way of selling CDs, especially given that they have an audience that will also cough up for nicely done vinyl and deluxe editions with extra tracks.