Theatre '18

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Culture' started by Ellie, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

New thread.

Second booking period of Hamilton tickets goes on sale today at midday. As expected the top price seats have been raised from £89.50 to £100. Ridiculous.

I got a front row stall ticket for next week for £37.50 however so there is certainly price staggering all around the place. It's far easier to get good deals with online returns at the last minute, which I suppose is only suitable for Londoners.

DogsDinner likes this.
  2. Ellie

Just booked for Eugenius at The Other Palace. It looks rather excellent so I hope I’m not disappointed.

Produced by Warwick Davis and co written by Ben Adams from A1 @Kate

Kate likes this.
  3. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

I saw Hamilton the other week and found it decidedly underwhelming. I didn't particularly take to any of the leading cast members, and it all seemed like such an EFFORT to them which made me uncomfortable. I do think there's a world of difference between Broadway and West End performers sadly. The show/score is fantastic in parts, but I won't be looking to go again.

4. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

And I saw Legally Blonde fifteen times

5. Ellie

You’re just ODD.

I’m seeing it on Saturday which will be the first since previews and have tickets for four more performances dotted around. I love it so much. Legally Blonde? Well it was FINE but I never had any desire to see it again.

Were you not floored by Rachel John’s voice?

6. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

That's not very nice.

Not really. She was definitely one of the best but I remained unfloored. She's no Cynthia Erivo/Beverley Knight when it comes to HOT VOX. I found Burr's speech impediment very off-putting and Hamilton's vocals were passable at best, acting not much better.

7. Ellie

Who was Hamilton when you saw it? There are two.

Yes, the Giles Terrera lisp was my only real bugbear when I saw it. I had a lisp as a child and my parents pretty much forced it out of me, so professional actors and singers with lisps really annoy me. Surely just get some elocution lessons (also looking at Sam Smith, Christian Bale and Will Young).

I find Rachel John a lot more emotive than Beverly Knight. I only saw Bev in Memphis. Got her understudy for The Bodyguard, so when Rachel John played Nicki I just adored her performance which by far outshone the Rachel Marron actress.

8. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

I had the main one, Jamael something. I know Rachel has an army of fans on the boards claiming she was superior to Bev in Memphis but I saw both and Bev easily outdid her, vocally at least.

9. Ellie

Eugenius! was absolutely brilliant. Such such fun. A lot of very memorable songs, even though some were hugely influenced by other stuff from the 80s, including a spookily similar sounding song to Celine Dion's 'Where Does My Heart Beat Now'.

I really hope this gets a proper transfer one day as it has cult hit written all over it. There was only one song I thought was a bit too in your face, - pretty much just name-checking 80s references with not much else to it, but the cast gave it their all. This was probably unintentional, but the character of Super Hot Lady was played by a spitting image of Vanity.

10. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I’ve lost my mind and booked tickets for Mean Girls and the Donna Summer musical on Broadway :disco:

Ellie likes this.
  11. Ellie

For FUCKS SAKE. LULU is Sheena Easton’s replacement for 42nd Street. Well I won’t be seeing that again anytime soon.

monsta likes this.
  12. Ellie

Just coming back from Pippin at the Southwark Playbouse. This was just all kinds of awful. I couldn’t wait for it to end.

13. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Oh that's a shame, I'm looking forward to this. I love the score but it is a bit of a problematic show book wise. Why was it so awful?

14. Ellie

It certainly didn't help that we were clearly sat directly in front of what seemed to be the friends and family of most of the cast. They were howling, whooping, cheering and laughing at absolutely everything. Apparently Pippin murdering his father is HILARIOUS :manson:

I knew the songs from the OBC album, and of course the MJ versions of Corner of the Sky and Morning Glow. I knew the plot was nonsensical so I really wasn't expecting much there and only went for the music. Most of the cast are talented and there are some lovely voices in there, although the one playing a dual role of stepmother and grandmother really fucking hams it up. I see from YouTube clips that in bigger productions they really do cast a 50-60 year old actress to play the role, so we got a 20 something woman acting like she's in a school pantomime to try and create the illusion that she's old. It wasn't necessary at all and her comedy walk and expressions were cringeworthy. Obviously being a the Southwark Playhouse, the staging is vastly minimised - there are no acrobatics in this production.

The staging is one giant Health & Safety hazard too. At one point the king rushes off stage and kicked a floor light right into our row. The interval was then spent with stagehands drilling lights back in under our feet.

15. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I'm really not here for acrobatics on the stage. The otherwise amazing Swedish production of Chess was definitely diminished by the cast jollying around on a TRAPEZE during the most intense songs.

16. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I've just been gifted a ticket for the "Chess" revival at the ENO. The score is utterly amazing and I'm very excited to hear it with the huge orchestra and chorus that it requires.

However, the principals are giving me a real problem. Michael Ball as Anatoly? Alexandra Burke as Svetlana?!?!?

FUCK OFF!

17. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

I still can’t wait to see it - I’ve been waiting for years - but the Ball casting disappointed me so much.

I’m assuming the worst a bad Svelana can do is ruin three songs?

18. Ellie

There are few things I'd turn down a free ticket to if the day/time is right.

In tragic news, Tony winner Ruthie Ann Miles will lkely no longer be transferring to the Palladium production of The King & I. Her 4 year old daughter was killed, as was her friend's 1 year old when a car went through a red light. She was also injured and is currently pregnant:

http://variety.com/2018/legit/news/ruthie-ann-miles-daugher-killed-car-crash-1202719187/

Devastating :(

19. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I don't really care much for "I Know Him So Well" so she can do her worst with that one. She only sings a third of it anyway. I suppose they'll give her "Someone Else's Story", although that does sometimes go to Florence.

"Endgame" is going to be the real litmus test though. Svetlana's part in that is really rather difficult and requires a wide singing range with some high soprano notes in places.

20. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

And so you're letting me know...

You're the only one who's never suffered anything AT ALL

How you've HATED my SUCCESS

Well, I won't CRAWL and you can slink back to your PAWNS and to your TARTS

And every POISONED word shows how you NEVER understood

Liar

Never

Liar

Never

LIAR

NEVER

LIARRR

NEVER
    NEVVEEEEEEEERRRRRR

:disco:

Madison likes this.
  21. Madison

:disco: Endgame

Christian likes this.
  22. Madison

And then it just descends into hell complete with a chorus.

23. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

That's awful, poor her.

Tiptum is a pretty minor role in K & I, although she does have the amazing "We Kiss In A Shadow" to sing. I'm beyond excited to finally see Kelli O'Hara in the flesh as I've been a fan of hers for YEARS.

24. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Not always. It depends on which version you see.

This one is apparently going to follow the 2002 Swedish version which really does mess around with the songs and book. I'd be happy for them to follow the 2008 London book which felt pretty much perfect to me.

25. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

@Madison @Christian, Sir Tim Rice was on The One Show tonight talking about Chess, if you care to subject yourselves to it.

26. Madison

Thanks, but I just can’t do it.

I’ll make do with that nice Today programme interview with Sir Tim and at least one of the Swedes from earlier in the week.

27. lolly

I'm going to give it a go with my finger on fast forward later.

28. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Ooh, thanks. I'll give it a go as he's usually pretty interesting on the subject of the ever-problematic Chess book.

I still can't excited for this revival. The casting has left my interest at rock bottom.

29. Ellie

30. Ellie

Just a few comments on recent productions seen:

Everybody’s Talking About Jamie - Very funny, incredibly well performed and an excellent first act. Songs in the second act didn’t quite live up to the first however and the story was a bit predictable. Recommended but I wouldn’t go back for a repeat visit.

Bat Out of Hell - BONKERS. Absolutely dreadful story and the acting is even worse. I can’t imagine this lasting long unless Meat Loaf dies and revives interest. The music is fantastic and the casts were clearly hired on their amazing vox alone. I have had the songs in my head all week so it must have done something right.

Ruthless! The Musical - 5 STARS. What a wonderful surprise. Definitely one for repeat visits if the price is right. Laughed all the way through. The little girl was amazing and reminded me of a young Kate Hudson. The real star of this however is American actress Kim Maresca. Playing against Tracie Bennett and Harriett Thorpe, she steals the show!

Suedey likes this.
  31. lolly

The Chess reviews seem to be pretty poor. 2 stars in The Guardian, Independent, Time Out, Times, Financial Times, Evening Standard and The Stage. Although The Express, STOP FUCKING HATE and WhatsOnStage liked it. Apparently the average review is 2.5 stars.

Alexandra Burke has been given another song 'He Is A Man, He Is A Child' from the Swedish language version of the musical. She seems to be getting a fair bit of praise as well - 'the only consistently decent performance' (The Stage). Hopefully she'll get a bit more work out of it.

32. Madison

I finally saw Chess - I thought it was great, but then again I was always going to.

33. Ellie

Cherly in talks to do a guest run as Roxie Hart in Chicago.

Can she even sing LIVE?

34. Rita

Rita User

@Ellie have you seen Tina: The Musical ? My mum is coming over for a bit in the summer and thought it might be nice to take her to London to see a show.

35. Ellie

I have tickets for September. Really looking forward to it! Tickets are super expensive though. The only reason I’m waiting for September is before it opened, one member based site had a half price deal for certain future dates.

36. Rita

Rita User

Fab. I think I will look at some dates and take her down for a few days to see this. The reviews look pretty decent, and everyone loves a bit of Tina.

37. Ellie

Looks amazing @Rita

Totally puts Britain’s Got Talent to shame, especially when Simon Cowell likes to say to certain singers that they’d be better in musicals.

Rita likes this.
  38. Rita

Rita User

Wow. It really does look FANTASTIC.

39. lolly

Any interest in Patti Lupone in Sondheim's Company from late September? I'm tempted.

40. Ellie

Got tickets for my birthday weekend in December.

Bring It On the musical last week was utterly brilliant. Extremely funny and it deserves a transfer to West End. Got Spamilton this week.

lolly and monsta like this.