Theatre '18

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Culture' started by Ellie, Jan 29, 2018.

1. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I’m seeing the transfer of Heathers in October!

2. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Oh and Mean Girls and Summer on Broadway :D

dUb likes this.
  3. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Really want to see Bring It On! I wasn’t even aware it WAS a musical.

4. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

I’m seeing Bring It On in a couple of weeks. Having listened to the Broadway cast recording, Lin-Manuel certainly has a SIGNATURE STYLE doesn’t he. :side-eye:

I’m also seeing a play called The Humans at the Hampstead Theatre. It got major plaudits on Broadway and it’s the full cast transferring I believe.

WHILE IM HERE, when I was in New York earlier this year I saw Come From Away, Waitress, Once On This Island, The Band’s Visit and Hello, Dolly! which were all varying degrees of fab

Ellie and monsta like this.
  5. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Hello my gay boys!

DogsDinner likes this.
  6. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

I really didn’t like it at The Other Palace. Had a WEIRD audience of screaming teenage girls. The characters were just nothing like the movie counterparts and the comedy was all off, as if it was in the same tone as Legally Blonde.

7. Ellie

Just seen a Eugenius! again for the second run at The Other Palace. Half new cast and half the same as before. This time Neil McDermott (Ryan from Eastenders) was Evil Lord Hector - what a revelation. Never seen him on stage before and he’s utterly hilarious.

Seriously this show is so special. It’s not fully polished and I’m not 100% sure of its mass appeal, but I’d love a West End transfer. Catchiest songs I’ve heard for a long time even if they’re derivative of lesser known 80s hits.

8. Slave

Slave User

@dUb I was hoping Dear Evan Hansen would’ve been on your list from New York. It seems like the kind of thing you’d have been all over.

dUb likes this.
  9. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

You are correct! It’s just harder to get into than the ones I ended up seeing and also I watched a bootleg :square:

I’ll catch it in London!

10. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

"Dear Evan Hanson" has a truly glorious score but the show itself is rather mediocre. The same can be said for "Come From Away".

I do hope they bring over Bette in "Hello Dolly" for a run, as that production, ropey as it is on the page, was the very epitome of STAR POWER :disco:

11. Ellie

Hello Dolly might not happen just because of money. Ticket prices in NY for those star vehicles are extortionate and she was on a lot of money over there that London won’t be able to match if they want prices to remain reasonable.

12. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

London prices are going nuts. It was £164 to take my niece to The Lion King last week. EACH. For THE LION KING!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  13. Ellie

Is it coming to London? It hasn’t been
    officially announced yet, but so many shows are closing in the next 6 months. Some theatres are going to be closed and refurbished. Getting all this from Theatreboard readings:

Waitress is taking over the Adelphi, Come From Away at the Phoenix. Speculation that Aladdin may close and Mary Poppins could take over and possibly Mean Girls at the Savoy.

No word on the Piccadilly (Strictly Ballroom totally failed by turning it into a Will Young star show where he sang everything, otherwise it could have been great), but I’m personally hoping for Groundhog Day.

14. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

"Come From Away" is going to last about 5 minutes in London.

I really hope Mary Poppins comes back to London as it's a cracking show. I saw it in its original incarnation with Laura Michelle Kelly playing a VERY spikey Mary and with the original set, which was basically an entire house built on stage that slid up and down depending on where the story was focused at the point. I hear that when it comes back it will be with the touring set which is a lot less ostentatious.

15. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

WTAF?

I assume that's those 'premium stalls' seats that seemingly every theatre now charges for those 6 or so rows in the absolute sweet spot. What's the face value of those tickets? Not that it REALLY makes any difference if £164 is what you paid, and the charges were unavoidable anyway. I'm just interested how it breaks down.

16. lolly

What are Broadway prices like now? I seem to remember paying just over $100 for a second or third tier Wicked ticket in 2004, which was a hot ticket then, so I'm assuming would have been the top end.

17. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

The face value was about £150 which the service charge then bumped up by fifteen quid. They were "premium" seats in the stalls and pretty much a total rip off. It's not even a great show but she really wanted to see it and it was a treat for her for passing her all of her A Levels.

Given that decent "Hamilton" tickets seem to go for £200 these days, I suspect the only way is up :(

18. Ellie

Lion King has never been discounted! I’ve never seen it and am not really that bothered to be honest.

19. Ellie

For the very popular shows, if you want to book less than 2-3 months in advance I’m afraid premium tickets are all that will be left. If you plan ahead or get “drop everything at the last minute” deals midweek then the dynamic pricing works. I mean you can get standing at Hamilton on the door on the morning of the show for £12.50 now, and I got a first tier box for a few weeks time for £57.50 each.

Going to Tina tonight for half price, but booked it months ago through a club.

20. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Dropping half a
    Yes, I get that. If you know what you want to see weeks in advance, you're always going to get a deal. That doesn't mean it isn't daylight robbery to charge what the producers want if you fancy a show on a whim.

I didn't like the Tina show myself at all. Every song made me want to see the titular woman delivering them herself!

Ellie likes this.
  21. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

This is appalling quality but a good measure of how razor sharp the original London production of "Mary Poppins" was. The choreography towards the end is just spectacular.

22. Slave

Slave User

I’ve seen The Lion King three times and each visit has been significantly more expensive than the last. We always sit in roughly the same area as well.

Our Wicked tickets last week were £100 each, although we were in the second row and it was brilliant.

23. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

It must get get a shedload of the tourist crowd. The costume and set design is really quite special but what a shame that it's there to service such a dramatic dud.

24. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I know the musical theatre loons love to hate "Wicked" but it really is a very, very good musical.

25. Ellie

I do adore Wicked, but I took my brother a couple of months ago and it is finally starting to feel stale. First time I’d ever seen a decent discount too (Ticketmaster were offering half price Band A-B seats for selected midweek performances for a month - front row centre circle for £37, yes please). He loved it as it was his first time. I can’t descibe it but the atmosphere in the theatre was so dead compared to 10+ years ago, and yet the performances were still stellar on stage.

26. Slave

Slave User

Oh I went into it with no expectations. I’m not a huge fan of The Wizard Of Oz and I didn’t know any of the songs (other than Defying Gravity, obviously). Joey Branning from Eastenders was a bit unconvincing but otherwise the cast was great.

I think the first half is MUCH stronger than the second and I thought the plot resolution could’ve been a tad cleverer than just “haha we tricked everyone” but I can absolutely see why it has staying power.

27. Slave

Slave User

Has Wicked changed much, if at all?

The Lion King has undergone some quite significant changes to squeeze out some of the less memorable songs and speed up the pace a bit.

There were moments during Wicked when it did feel like the script was showing it’s age - moments where I guess the quips could’ve been a little sharper. It didn’t really detract from my enjoyment, but I’m not sure it was slick enough that I’d watch it again in a rush.

28. Ellie

Yes, that’s all that I can see that has changed. Some of the comic timing of Galinda was all off when I saw it. It seemed like some of the actors were rushing and dragging in some of the wrong places, but like I said my brother didn’t notice. I only did because I’ve seen it so many times and know it so well, although only twice now in the last 5 years. I must say I was seriously impressed by the current Elphaba, Alice Fearn who has been in it for nearly 2 years now. Reminded me a hell of a lot of Kerry Ellis in her performance.

I only first saw Phantom about 3-4 years ago though and even though I’d not seen it before, that also felt very stale.

29. lolly

I saw Mary Poppins when it previewed here ahead of the original West End production, the West End production itself (both with LMK), and then the touring version when it came here and enjoyed them all immensely.

30. Ellie

I couldn’t agree more here. I was really rather disappointed in this. The lead performance was fine and Adrienne Warren is a brilliant performer, but it’s just a very good tribute act. I really don’t enjoy jukebox musicals in general. The Ike portrayal here was so cartoonish, it actually doesn’t make sense how he could lure so many people in for so long.

We did however run into Barry Manilow outside at the interval!

31. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

I was sitting beside Lin-Manuel Miranda and his wife at Bring It On the other week. :o

I wouldn't ordinarily say anything but I was so close, I couldn't resist an "I'm a fan of your work" :shy: and a handshake

Ellie likes this.
  32. Commotion

Commotion User

I saw 'Come from away' in Dublin last week - it's been playing here for 2 months before moving to London. It's excellent - really uplifting.

Just seen 'Everybody's talking about Jamie' in London. Very enjoyable if a bit predictable. Michelle Visage was the weakest link.

33. Commotion

Commotion User

Shows seen in 2019

1. Come from away - Abbey Theatre, Dublin
    2. The Ridleys - Peacock Theatre, Dublin
    3. Everybody's talking about Jamie - Apollo Theatre, London
    4. The Cripple of Inishmaan - Gaiety Theatre, Dublin

34. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

I saw Come from Away, great show and the energy was just amazing.

Hair was alright, apart from a few songs it was generally flat.

I also saw The Penelopiad based on a short story by Margret Atwood.