Toy Story 4

Discussion in 'Moopy Odeon' started by Rhythmbarbican, Nov 6, 2014.

?

A Pixar Too Far?

1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 09

33.3%
  3. 08

11.1%
  4. 07

22.2%
  5. 06

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 05

33.3%
  7. 04

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 03

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 02

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 01

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 00

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

Confirmed TODAY. Due for release in 2017. I'm not sure how I feel given how the third one wrapped up the story perfectly.

2. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I am in the minority in that I thought Toy Story 3 was okay, but pretty much a less funnier rehash of the themes explored in Toy Story 2, so I'm not that bothered about a fourth one. Sadly Pixar are really coming undone in the last few years.

3. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

Timely bump. Can anyone add a poll?

Glowing reviews so far, even if the new character is a plastic spork with eyes.

4. Slave

Slave User

Saw this last night, and I’m really torn. Of the 4 movies, this definitely feels like the most non-essential of the lot.

It was predictably LOVELY seeing the toys back together.

But it felt like about four plots in one movie. Forky, for me, was a one-joke character and even if the extremes Woody went to in order to save him were a cover for his own insecurities, it still felt far-fetched.

Bunny and Ducky’s scenes were easily the most laugh out loud, but their design is so uninspired (like carnival prize toys, I guess).

The film DID do a good job of repositioning the female characters and it felt fitting that, for example, Jessie would be Bonnie’s preferred cowboy over Woody - without making a huge deal about it. It goes without saying that Bo Peep has been superbly updated and reinvented.

I was a bit :o when
    Woody had his voicebox removed. It actually made me feel a bit QUEASY :D

Honestly though, I think the sterling reviews are thanks to a mix of nostalgia and the ending, which DID have me in floods of tears. You will know EXACTLY what’s going to happen and it is one of the most beautiful Toy Story moments - but I don’t think it’s quite as affecting as the end of Toy Story 3.

At the end of the day though, even an AVERAGE Toy Story movie is STREETS AHEAD of almost any other animated franchise.

Oh, and Bonnie is a cunt.

dUb likes this.
  5. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

I enjoyed it, it did lack the emotional depth of the previous installments but it was very funny. Forky wasn't especially interesting but his obsession with being trash was hilarious. Loved the post credit sequence and Keanu Reeves, Key and Peele were great additions to the cast.

6. Rita

Rita User

Am I correct in saying Betty White voices a character in this? :disco:

7. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

Yep, she voices one of the toys that Bonnie dumps in the closet with Woody, Carl Reiner and Carol Burnett also have cameos!

Rita likes this.
  8. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

I really liked this. Toy Story 3 set the bar really high, but this was far from disappointing.

Gaby Gaby's story was sweet. She was my favorite. As was cute little Giggle McDimples lol

The post-credit scene with Ducky and Bunny KILLED ME :D

9. Slave

Slave User

Opening weekend box office was well below predictions. Still puts it as the 4th best opening of all-time and ahead of Toy Story 3, though.

10. Kate

Kate most die in your bedroom

I don't think I was meant to LOL when
    Harmony went "nah" and dumped Gabby back in the box
    :shy: I saw it coming a mile off though.

Loved it, anyway. I suppose the only shame was that a lot of the old toys - Jessie, Rex etc - had bugger all to do.

11. Slave

Slave User

Yeah, this was a real shame.

The fact that the Toy Story universe has grown so much is impressive - but easily the better moments of the earlier movies are when the original group are working together, whether it be to get to Al’s Toy Barn or break out of Sunnyside.

12. Rita

Rita User

No Mr & Mrs Potato Head? I really wouldn’t mind seeing this but I can’t sit down for that long yet. :argh:

13. Slave

Slave User

Mr. Potato Head is understandably featured LESS, what with the actor being DEAD - and only featured at the request of his family.

14. Rita

Rita User

I did realise he had died, but thought he would have had a brand new voice actor playing him. Did he record his voice parts before he died then?

15. Slave

Slave User

He died before the actors recorded their parts. His role is made up of unused footage he’d recorded for the previous movies, games, etc.

16. Rita

Rita User

:(

17. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

I don't even think he has many lines, neither does the Mrs. Neither do many of the old cast, which is a shame.

18. Rita

Rita User

I read this opened to much lower figures than expected too, but was still ahead of the opening of the other 3.

Non story?

19. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

Pretty much, $110 million opening weekend. I guess Endgame has set a new benchmark.

20. Slave

Slave User

I mean, it's hard to spin those figures into anything other than a runaway success. It's also likely to hold up well I'd have thought - school holidays are almost upon us and there aren't any other major animated movies doing the rounds (if we consider The Lion King within the live-action bracket).

I honestly think there's probably just a bit of FATIGUE - and I don't doubt an element of parents feeling a bit STUNG with Avengers, Aladdin, Toy Story 4 and The Lion King coming so close together. If I had a couple of kids and was looking at £50 per visit in tickets alone - before factoring in drinks/sweets - at this point I'd definitely be thinking about which I could skip or see later.

21. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I thought this was perfectly fine with a few good laughs, but ultimately fairly inessential. Visually gorgeous though.

22. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

I saw this using the VIP at Cineworld where it was £22 a ticket for a reclining leather seat and unlimited snacks with a pre-film buffet. It's worth it if you were going to eat anyway, and you can nab some bottles of drink on the way out too. Without the Unlimited pass however it's £35. There was a family of four behind us and the kids were aged about 2 and 4, and the price of a ticket isn't less for a child for this service. They were chatting all through and running around the whole time. So this family spent £140 on tickets and DIDN'T EVEN SEE THE FILM because they were talking throughout. The children were so small I sincerely doubt they felt the benefit of the lovely seat.

23. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

I paid £4.10 for my ticket at Vue, and that was VIP seating.

24. Ellie

Did you get a full meal with it?

25. Kate

Kate most die in your bedroom

£4.10?! Where was that, Syria?

Finn, Ellie and KindaCool like this.
  26. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I don't know about London, but I can confirm that in Leeds a standard cinema ticket from Vue currently costs £4,99. And they do 2 for 1 midweek. :disco:

Beverley likes this.
  27. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Vue really are the best value for money here too. Plus the seating totally makes a difference.

28. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

In toy story related news, I’m seeing this on Friday. With a date. :disco:

29. HeLikedTurner

HeLikedTurner User

I've loved the previous Toy Story films, but this one did nothing for me. It felt like everything we had seen before, only much less. The script wasn't witty enough. The "action" sequences weren't exciting enough. There was very little in the way of invention. There were a couple of excellent scenes(the girl rejecting the doll, and Woody's parting at the end), but overall I thought it was so, so flat.

30. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

I hate to say this, but I really could have done without this and Sporky. :(

HeLikedTurner likes this.
  31. Slave

Slave User

Forky, on reflection, was a really SHIT character.

There are so many more believable 'toys' that could have been created that would make sense for Bonnie to literally DESTROY the family holiday searching for. If I'd done half the things she did looking for a bit of plastic CUTLERY, my Mum would have belted me.

Make no mistake, BONNIE is the real villain of this piece. What a cunt.

KindaCool likes this.
  32. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Oh it’s forky and not sporky :D

I guess that’s how much I cared

HeLikedTurner and KindaCool like this.
  33. Ellie

“BOW BOW BOW BOW, BOW BOW BOW” :D

Still amusing when I think about that.