Transparent

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by JillTyrell, Nov 30, 2014.

1. JillTyrell

JillTyrell Deep inside I am profoundly lonely.

Has anybody watched this? It's incredible.

Available exclusively on Amazon Prime (although I torrented it) it's a ten-part series exploring one family's reaction to their elderly father coming out as trans. I'm up to episode eight at the moment and cannot tell you how moving I've found it so far. Everything about it, from the script, to the editing, to the acting and soundtrack is just so perfect and spot on.

It's a gentle, slow moving comedy/drama, although I'd probably describe it more as a drama with the occasional funny bit.

What struck me the most is that it explores all aspects of sexuality and gender identity in most of the characters and really highlights how fluid these things really are. I won't go in to spoilers but most of the five piece family in the show are on a sliding scale of sexuality and identity and yet it doesn't for one second feel forced or shoe horned in, just completely natural.

I recently found out that one of my cousins is transitioning, female to male, and although I was completely 100% supportive and accepting anyway, this show really bought home just how much of an upheaval it is for both the individual and the friends and family of someone transitioning .

2. ameraal

ameraal wrong captcha

it's been getting glowing reviews. i'm watching (only up to episode three) though to be honest while i appreciate that it's very well done i'm still not entirely convinced. it's pretty much like girls slash looking for a bit of an older crowd. maybe i'm just a bit fatigued over the subject matter.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Brown Cow...STUNNING

I loved this, I don't think its really funny but then it's not supposed to. I just warmed up to all those quite awful people and there's a musical number that was just hilarious.

It's very sensitive to sexuality in general and I appreciated it that a lot about it.

4. JillTyrell

JillTyrell Deep inside I am profoundly lonely.

It's been renewed for a second season which I'm glad about as I've only got two episodes left and don't want it to ever end.

I like the flashback scenes scattered throughout that really add to the story, plus Ugly Betty's Clare Mead makes a fantastic grey-haired Jew.

5. ZZ

ZZ staring at you

Amazing series. Very well acted and I loved the way all characters got the opportunity to say something and get 'fleshy'. And I'm really pleased it's getting a second season. Really looking forward to that.

6. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

7. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

Just finished burning through this in one sitting, as it is free on Amazon for today only. Thought the cast and writing were wonderful, and I'm a sucker for these kind of bickering but loving family dramas. LOVED IT.

8. untitled

untitled blue of my oblivion

Do you like Gaby Hoffman? I find her a very irritating woman.

I am going to watch this though, it looks brilliant.

9. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I liked this a lot, although the characters really are terrible people for the most part. Poor Ed :(

TBH Judith Light is very much the weak link of the cast for me. It felt like she'd wandered in from an SNL sketch about overbearing Jewish mothers.

10. ameraal

ameraal wrong captcha

agreed on all points. especially clare mead's game.

i ended up enjoying it a lot at the end, but like i said earlier i'm suffering from a bit of gay/trans character fatigue. i hope that's not self-loathing of me to say.

11. FetchFugly

Oh dear, you might want to give the BBC's upcoming transgender sitcom a pass then, never mind HBO having a pilot about a TEXAN DRAG QUEEN NANNY in the works. :D

I didn't mind Judith Light, although yes it did feel like she wasn't quite on the same show as the other leads. The whole thing really reminded me of United States of Tara, which I loved though I still haven't seen the last season.

12. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I've just finished Season Two and have found it just as much of a joy as the first one. No one is likeable but that's fine with me. That privileged Jewish L.A. milieu is so interesting that I can't wait for the next season.

13. ameraal

ameraal wrong captcha

i still haven't seen the second season for some reason. just can't muster the energy. i haven't really been watching a lot of tv at all lately though i did see season 1 of casual over the last few days and it reminded me of this but i'm totally watching season 2 right away.

14. Ag

Ag User

I couldn't be bothered with it. No likeable characters made the whole thing a slog.

15. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Season 3 is incoming at the end of September and it's already been renewed for a fourth season before that even launches.

I don't disagree that the main family are all rather flawed, but that makes it all the more interesting for me.

16. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Oh, they're not likeable at all. But what they're going through feels very interesting I think.

17. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I took me about six months after the 2nd season came out to put it on as I knew it would be quite a drain. Still, it's over in about 4 hours :D

18. Phoenix

Phoenix Brown Cow...STUNNING

I'm the same, I downloaded the season but haven't watched it yet. Casual is lovely, I also need to watch season 2 of that.

19. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I'll give it a spin after "Red Oaks".

20. ZZ

ZZ staring at you

Realising Season 3 will be unleashed upon us shortly, I thought it would be good to give Season 2 a spin. And it was the unpleasant, uncomfortable watch I thought it would be. But in a good way. It's full of the truth of how messed up human beings are and how human relationships can be absolutely mad and complicated. So, can't wait for Season 3. I'm prepped.

21. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

I binged Seasons 3 and 4 over the weekend thanks to the new Prime Video Apple TV app and it's just tremendous. Really hoping it continues, without Maura if needs be.

Not nearly enough gay stuff, mind.

22. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

JUDITH LIGHT QOL

23. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

After an investigation by Amazon, Tambor's been sacked. A shame such an excellent and important series has been marred by this kind of scandal but I suppose it also shows it can happen anywhere.

Bring on Season 5

24. FetchFugly

I haven't got to watching the fourth season yet, but as good as the cast are I find it difficult seeing where the show can go long term without Maura. Presumably they will kill her off and get a season out of the aftermath and I think they should call it a day there.

25. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

Yeah, it’s got to be a death

26. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

Rumoured to be eschewing a final season in favour of a one-off full-length musical finale.

27. Iguana

Iguana User

Please God no.

It list so much of its charm in the last series and a musical finale sounds like it would just be abhorrent.