Two Doors Down

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by Kalabaliken, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Judging you in Google Translate

I'm surprised this hasn't been talked about here before!

[​IMG]

Now onto it's second series, this Glasgow-set comedy starring Elaine C Smith, Sharon Rooney, Arabella Weir and Doon Mackichan, and written by Simon Carlyle who also wrote Boy Meets Girl and Terri McIntyre is just SOMETHING ELSE! Not much actually happens in it, apart from everyone ending up in someone's house, but there are some amazing characters and clever writing and some HILARIOUS one-liners. Doon Mackichan's character, Cathy, brings me LIFE in every single episode and Elaine's character, Christine is like every wee Glasgow wifey in existence! The only weak part is the gay couple (more the son Ian) who are alright, but not the strongest characters in the show.

It's one of very few comedies that make me laugh out loud on quite a few occasions each episode! It's a shame it's not more well known.

2. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I saw a bit of this last week. Very Gavin & Stacey lite, and knew Simon Carlyle was involved when there were jokes about buffets.

3. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

It's basic but I love it.

They'll never top the original Hogmanay special with Daniela Nardini though :disco:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  4. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Now THAT was GREAT. I think I watched a couple of episodes of the series before I realised it was based on that :daf:

I do like this a lot, but find the characters other than the three central women to be underwritten - but then those three are so good, I can forgive that.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  5. cwej

cwej User

I haven't watched this since the Daniela Nardini pilot. Why didn't she do the series?!

6. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

Despite a couple of departures this is still very enjoyable. Christine is as wonderfully awful as ever and Cathy's inappropriateness with Gordon is a fresh wrinkle.

7. lolly

I don't really like the new boyfriend (not that the old one was a major character), and the departure of Sophie doesn't bother me too much at all.

I'm enjoying the current series very much. The three female leads are all a joy in their own way.

8. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

Yes, poor Beth is the less obviously comic role but her disapproval and exasperation is needed and so well played.

9. Rita

Rita User

I love this. Elaine C Smith’s character reminds me of many a Glasgow lady I have met in my time. I thought it was only shown on BBC Scotland, like River City.

10. Crash

Crash Thank You

I fucking LOVE this - Christine is my absolute hero

11. lolly

Series four confirmed

Award-winning comedy hit Two Doors Down is on the up with a fourth series under way for transmission next year on BBC Two.
    The cast and crew have already taken up residence, filming over the coming weeks on location and in the BBC’s Dumbarton Studios, outside Glasgow, with the series expected on screen in early 2019.

Set in the fictional Scottish suburban street of Latimer Crescent, this new six-part series will once again have its core cast, with Arabella Weir as Beth and Alex Norton as Eric - the long-suffering Bairds whose home is often at the heart of the comedy - and Elaine C Smith as Christine, Doon Mackichan as Cathy and Jonathan Watson as her husband Colin, Jamie Quinn as the Bairds’ son Ian and Kieran Hodgson returning as his boyfriend Gordon.

Having been introduced in the last episode of series three, Graeme ‘Grado’ Stevely and Joy McAvoy will also be back as new neighbours Alan and Michelle, settling in to their freshly decorated house.

This new series will see Beth and Eric celebrate 30 years of married bliss, while Christine will stress test the NHS with a temporary hospital stay, and the Bairds will receive a visit from Gordon’s parents Sandra and Graham, played by Maggie O’Neill (Shameless, EastEnders) and Alex Kirk (Bad Move).

There's a whole new level of passive aggressive tension unleashed as Cathy jealously vies with new neighbour and rival Michelle.

BBC Two re-commissioned Two Doors Down, in the wake of the successful third series when it received plaudits from critics and public alike, becoming one of the channel’s top performing comedies of 2018 and winning the Best Comedy award at the 2017 Royal Television Society Scotland Awards.

Arabella Weir says: “The whole cast were thrilled at the very warm reception series three received across the UK. And for my part I’m over the moon to be pulling on Beth’s leggings again.”

Doon Mackichan says: “Cathy, as ever, will have a few surprises in her wardrobe and will deliver even more surprises in her neighbours' living rooms. Series four is going to be fun.”

Introduced as a Hogmanay special on December 31 in 2013, Two Doors Down has consistently increased its viewing share over the course of three seasons, with a high point of more than 1.8m (10 per cent share) tuning in for series three.

A BBC Studios Comedy production, written by Simon Carlyle and Gregor Sharp, it performs particularly strongly in Scotland with audiences of more than 400,000 - roughly a quarter share of the viewing audience.

Steven Canny, Executive producer with BBC Studios Comedy, says; “Two Doors Down is a special show for us and I’m delighted that we are once again returning to Latimer Crescent. It’s made by an extraordinary group of people working at the top of their game. The writing, performances and craft skills are outstanding and I’m thoroughly looking forward to us finding new ways to torment poor Beth and Eric.”

Shane Allen, Controller Comedy Commissioning for the BBC says: “The scripts for the new series are a laugh out loud riot, the cast are the cream of Scottish comedy talent and the audience continues to impressively grow and grow ”

12. Rita

Rita User

Christines daughter is starring in the New Disney production of Dumbo. :disco:

13. Rita

Rita User

I can’t wait for series 4. One of the best comedies on TV by a mile.

14. Kalabaliken

Oh, I went to school with Joy McAvoy (and her brother James) - it’s good to see her have some success. I love this show so much, it’s just so typically Glaswegian! It makes me miss Terri McIntyre which is still one of my favourite TV shows of all time!

15. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

:D!

It's so quintessentially Kala that you would NEVER previously acknowledge that you went to school with actual movie star James McAvoy until a female relative also achieved some success.

ButterTart, monsta and COB like this.
  16. Kalabaliken

:D

I’m sure I have though, you know me, never miss up a chance to DROP NAMES. James sat beside me in Maths class one year. Haven’t spoken to him in years though.

17. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Of course you haven’t!

:D!