UK General Election 2010

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Ag, Feb 27, 2010.

?

"Lord Nelson's got a vote." "No, he's got a BOAT"

Poll closed May 7, 2010.
  1. Labour

51.0%
  2. Conservative

5.9%
  3. Liberal Democrat

31.4%
  4. Democratic Unionist Party

2.0%
  5. Sinn Féin

2.0%
  6. Scottish National Party

2.0%
  7. Plaid Cymru

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. UKIP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. British National Party

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Green Party

5.9%
  11. Other/Independent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Zodiac

Zodiac Registered Ulser

As opposed to economic colossus George Osbourne or education guru Ed Balls I guess...

2. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

Well that's ONE UP he's got on the TORIES

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  3. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I don't think I knew the LibDems were still in favour of 'proper' marriage for gays. I had assumed they were just accepting civil partnership.

4. loomer

loomer User

Nick Clegg is the man. Someone you can actually imagine having a sex life - and indeed he's admitted to sleeping with a LOT of women :disco:

Can't wait till the next round of debates, though no doubt poor Nicky boy will be slaughtered by Cameron who will change tactics - look at all the NOTES he took.

Gordon Brown is the old guard and just doesn't cut it in these post-Blair/Clinton times. He got his stint as PM despite being unelected, and who can blame him.

Blair ushered in a new era of flashy STYLE (some would say over substance). Really Clegg is what Cameron should've been. I knew when I saw him interviewed he would do well, he stuttered and was nervous but that made him even more human than the Robotic Duo. His sum up at the end was fucking BRILLIANT.

lol @ the Gary Barlow tag. I wish he kept his mouth shut - or at least justified and said "Labour didn't live up to my expectations" or something along those lines, so he didn't appear to be a sheep who voted one party forever. Must have been in the contract for him to reveal his allegiances.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  5. cwej

cwej User

6. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock one of those "they/thems"

Indeed. I'm fairly sure they got Samantha Cameron pregnant just to prove that Dave has more than just the smooth, Action Man-esque area that we all imagine.

I'm not looking forward to the next debate, just because I know Dave and Gord are going to double team him. The only plus side is that he could emerge even stronger by standing up to them, and being seen as the underdog because they've so obviously only just began to see him as a real threat and went in with all guns blazing.

[​IMG]
    DAT DAT DAT DAT DAT DON'T KILL ME, CAN ONLY MAKE ME STRONGER

7. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

OMG everyone, i've decided to vote for my tory candidtate now, after recieving his leaflet which has these COMPELLING reasons on its back page:

Everything outside of the brackets is genuinely written on the leaflet. :manson: There's barely a whiff of policy (apart from supporting FAMILIES), the whole thing basically just mentions how he was in the army so is REAL in lots of different ways.

I get to do my postal vote in a few days, i simply cannot wait to vote for him.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  8. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

Goodness. Lucky old NORTH WARWICKSHIRE

Luckily my Tory candidate is a FAT CUNT so I don't have such a QUANDARY

9. funky

funky OH SHE’LL HAVE TO CALL YOU BACK

10. Kate

Kate she's for the streets BITCH

I don't know what my local Tory has to say because the leaflet went straight from the letterbox to the bin :(

11. funky

can I just say I also now have a soft spot for Clegg because I discovered recently that he speaks 5 languages, has a Spanish wife and all his kids have Spanish names.

FABULOUS

I'm surprised the STOP FUCKING HATE hasn't yet run a story like LIB DEM GOVERNMENT WOULD OPEN GATES TO LATIN IMMIGRANTS

poor Clegg's inlaws :(

12. funky

imagine having a son called ANTONIO CLEGG

I mean it's just genius.

Clegg FTW

13. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I do like the idea of our First Lady* being called MIRIAM GONZALEZ

[​IMG]

*yes I know that's not what we call them.

14. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

The press keep referring to her as Miriam Clegg, despite her not taking his name. She's also been getting criticised by the right wing press for not being on the campaign trail with him, despite her actually having a job. :manson:

15. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I did like her catty comment about how some people can't afford to take 2 months off work to follow their husbands around.

I'm sure she's actually really boring but I'm totally ethnically stereotyping her in my head as a fabulous bitchy Eva Peron figure.

16. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock one of those "they/thems"

To be honest, I actually admire her more for not just following him around on the campaign trail. I can understand a few public appearances but it just seems stupid otherwise.

And I too admire that Nick Clegg's household is basically the next Lady Gaga single.

17. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I think most people would admire her for that... The point I was making was that the right wing press just assume a wife should be at her husband's side, despite said wife having a very successful career of her own. It's positively archaic and incredibly offensive.

18. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

:D !

19. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

They're WAY AHEAD OF YOU Funk! :D

http://www.STOP FUNDING HATE.co.uk/news/election/article-1266826/The-United-Nations-Nick-Clegg.html

Talk about SELF PARODY

20. Kate

*googles Moura Budberg*

21. Kate

An MI5 informant said of her "she can drink an amazing quantity, mostly gin".

SPLENDID

22. Slave

Slave User

I think my main WORRY about the leaders having televised debates is how much people are going to be swayed just by the three personalities clashing, just because it's easier to watch a 90 minute show and base your vote on who came off best rather than actually digging into the party manifestos.

The Sun (I know) ran a fairly interesting article in response to the debates which puts Clegg first in the popularity poll, but also showed that he had the biggest percentage of the three of those that know nothing about what he stands for.

23. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

A least they're actually talking about policy during the debates though. I would think it would create fewer people voting more or less blindly, rather than more. The main thing I keep hearing from people considering Cameron is that "He's more charismatic than Brown".

24. Slave

Slave User

This is true, but at times it was insanely dumbed down. They kept saying "there's so much information being talked about here, so I'm not going to add more" aka "people who watch TV for their political feed are THICK and we'll just litter the important stuff with jokes and crowd-pleasing praise".

It felt to me like too much stuff was given not enough time. The fact that so many people liked Clegg but evidently didn't listen to a word of his policy speaks volumes.

Though they did keep getting interrupted by that raving alcoholic who used to present Police, Camera, Action.

25. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Well it's a balancing act, isn't it? They have to be accessible or they'll switch people off. The information is there if people want to look for it. It's just a shame most people don't.

26. Slave

Slave User

Yes, yes. It's not a bad thing to at least try to appeal to young/new/undecided voters. I just worry that the election will turn into a personality contest and if it does, Gordon Brown doesn't stand a chance.

I can't say that I follow politics closely enough, I won't be voting because whilst I did think Nick Clegg came across well, I don't feel well informed enough to justify making a choice. Which I suppose means I've criticised myself really, because I'm exactly the sort of person who sat down to watch the debate but has no motivation to seek out further information on policies.

27. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

I still think that a short test outside the polling station would weed out thise that are planning on polluting the system with an uninformed vote.

Question 1 will be 'Do you intend to vote Conservative?' and the people who answer 'Yes' needn't bother filling in the rest of the questionnaire.

28. TomH

TomH Who?

Doesn't every 16 year old in the country have one of those? :bruised:

Preaching to the converted though - I can't imagine many floting voter mail readers!

29. loomer

loomer User

Although it MAY AS WELL BE since we're becoming more and more like America. These Presidential-style debates are a step in that area. Not necessarily a BAD thing in politics certainly... although that first debate was rather dry, they're bound to get more interesting and refined as there's more elections.

And I think the Libs are the party that want Britain to have a constitution?

30. loomer

loomer User

Yes, that's something I forgot to say in my essay above. On my EXTENSIVE research (i.e. Wikipedia) I discovered that Clegg appears to be FAR better educated than Cameron. Now Cameron went to Eton and everything, but it looks like Clegg did far more. His birthdate was also shifted from 1968 to 1967, so very comparable to Cameron.

Gordon Brown has a PhD and is the most experienced of all, maybe that accounts for his dry dour clinical approach.

One correspondent on one of the newspaper websites, the Scotsman I think said that Clegg looked like Ant or Dec and likened the debate to the X Factor and said he didn't know if he would want Ant or Dec as Prime Minister. :D

31. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Yes you fucking will. It's you're right and you will take it.

32. loomer

loomer User

I wouldn't expect that from you Slave. I thought you were the ACTIVIST of here.

33. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I hear that.

34. Zodiac

Zodiac Registered Ulser

Well there is explicit mention of tackling homophobia in that interview and they do have an LGBT policy thingymajig on their website http://network.libdems.org.uk/manifesto2010/mini/libdem_2010_lgbt.pdf

35. Slave

Slave User

I suppose I could give another poster a BONUS vote.

It is my right, but I should only undertake that right if I can use it properly and not base my judgement on a skim-read of the tabloids and a few televised debates.

36. loomer

loomer User

37. Alex

Alex User

Has he come out yet?

38. rural juror

rural juror User

Well its fair to say Jimmys not improved with age :|

39. loomer

loomer User

Bollocks. That's more than enough. There are FAR more people that know CUNT ALL AT ALL about it who vote reactively.

Did you do the Vote For Policies Quiz yet? Try that. I've STILL to do it in detail, but on gut instinct it goes to Libs.

I would refuse Torys entirely on principle cause of

a. the past and Section 28
    b. the present and their current weak stance
    c. I don't like phoney Cameron who comes across as very transparent and try hard

I would not be completely against them somewhere down the line cause I was weaned on Thatcher with my mum and gran voting them. Subliminal influence. Plus Neil Kinnock at the time just seemed an attrocious alternative, Michael Foot who I very vaguely remember even more of a joke. But after her THIRD election, forget it. Major really took the piss.

40. loomer

loomer User

In a roundabout way. Hasn't explicitly said so, but has posted some more nice pics. :ken:

I love him, he's very cute. But the politics ugh. :gross:

You two should hook up, if you're a Tory