UK General Election 2015

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Ag, Jan 14, 2015.

?

Who DID you vote for?

Poll closed May 21, 2015.
  1. Labour

42.9%
  2. Conservative

2.4%
  3. Liberal Democrat

19.0%
  4. UKIP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Green

19.0%
  6. SNP

7.1%
  7. Plaid Cymru

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Northern Irish Party

4.8%
  9. I did not vote

2.4%
  10. Independent / Other (Please state)

2.4%
  11. Spoilt ballot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

The campaign seems to have started in earnest, FIVE months before the event. They're debating the TV debates in the Commons as we speak. The TV debates did FUCK ALL for the Lib Dems in 2010. I'd say this is the best publicity the Greens could get, by being excluded.

Anyway I can this being another horrible messy campaign, with a terrorist attack on the way. I may actually delete FB for the duration.

2. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

Oh God I don't think I can face this. I'm not sure there's ANY EVEN SLIGHTLY FEASIBLE GOOD RESULT.

3. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

It's such a Sophie's Choice. This could be so much easier if Labour hadn't chosen the wrong Miliband.

4. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

I sat in the sun and watched a good chunk of PM's questions at lunch.

100% agree with Milliband, he still looks so nervous and uncomfortable as a politician.

I think I'll vote GREEN more as liberal and sensible protest vote. I resent the Lib Dems, because I still like a lot of what they say but all they've done is pussy out at the last minute

5. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

If Labour don't win it will be ENTIRELY down to Miliband being PATHETIC and I will be SO ANGRY

6. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I'm trying to find the video, when he's on a conference stage awkwardly fumbling for something in this pocket. It's painful... as for the bacon sandwich. It would be awful if he becomes PM, although he's the side we all want (most of us). It's like Rebecca Front's character in The Thick Of It come true.

7. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I do wonder what the possibility is of a CON-LAB coalition? I can see the Lib Dems being decimated in May, while SNP, Green and UKIP won't have the seats to top anyone up...

8. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

So are you sticking with your UK vote rather than registering to vote in Spanish elections?

9. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

NO WAY I would say, though who knows...

10. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

A Tory-Lib Dem coalition wasn't a likely prospect prior to it happening...!

11. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

I reckon if there's a hung parliament and a coalition doesn't happen, Labour have GOT to ditch Miliband and then have a re-election...

12. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

No, but at least the Lib Dems are supposedly centrist. A left-right coalition seems unthinkable. Not that Labour are very left these days but still.

13. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I love a good general election, but I can't face two in a year.

I wonder what about Lab-SNP-LD-GREEN. Although two of them are pretty stubborn and the Greens may consist about three seats if we're LUCKY.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  14. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

I'm still not quite a full resident of Spain, so I can't register yet, but I do take an interest, only really in the islands politics. I still pay my taxes and run my business in the UK too, so I'm far more interested in UK politics. Plus in Spain its literally a case of pick a thieving cunt, pertty much every party has been found to be fully blown corrupt in a recent investigation. No shock there.

15. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Just seen Al Murray of all the non-entities is standing against Nigel Farage in South Thanet (there's a NORTH Thanet?!). Hardly Bell vs Hamilton all over again, but it will no doubt be one of the more interesting races. The possibility that Nick Clegg could lose his seat is also quite an interesting one. First time something like that would have since the 1920s or 1930s I'd guess...

16. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

17. Indie

Indie Great Tits

I'd love two elections in a year. It would be ace.

Cameron banging on about the Greens is hilarious. Surely everyone in the world can see what his plan is there - it's not like he's developed a SOFT SPOT for them

18. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I really, really want Nick Clegg to lose his seat (as long as its to Labour)

19. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Has he even given a reason? If anything, today in Parliament he was quite dismissive in his tone of the Greens...

20. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock wo ist der party?

The SNP might well have enough seats to top up Labour if current forecasting is correct.

21. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

GOOD GOD. Could we see Alex Salmond in a UK government? What the fuck does that imply? I think even I would object to a party I can't vote for being in power, but if it keeps the Tories out.... Argggh!

22. Indie

Indie Great Tits

"He said he did not see how "some minor parties like the Liberal Democrats and UKIP" could take part in the leaders' debates, but not the Greens"

I look forward to him inviting the SDP and Christian Democrats.

23. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

He actually called the Lib Dems a minor party? Amazing :D

But yes, we all know he really wants the Greens there because they are the only party that will take votes from Labour rather than him.

24. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

The possibility of a Labour SNP coalition is as toxic as Tory UKIP which I really don't see happening.

I get a strong 1992 vibe. Voters don't like the Tories but distrust Labour and their wear leader even more. Not that Miliband is comparable to Kinnock, he's more an IDS man.

25. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock wo ist der party?

Policy-wise, the SNP are actually pretty sound aside from all the constitutional stuff that you may or may not object to.

26. Penelope

Penelope Look right for CALMING INFLUENCE

No fucking chance whatsoever. Even if there were a leader that stupid, the threat of having half the members leave overnight and the trade unions pull all of their funding would stop it from ever happening.

27. Penelope

If you 100% agree with Ed Miliband, fucking vote for him. You aren't going to ever get another politician with his positions leading the Labour Party if he doesn't work out. Protest voting for the Greens achieves a grand square of fuck all other than making you feel good unless you're registered for Brighton Pavilion - there's a reason the Tories send nudge letters to potential Greens to persuade them to vote for them rather than Labour.

28. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I think he means he agrees with me that Miliband is a big awkward shame.

29. Penelope

That makes more sense :D :(

Though you'd be surprised the number of people who quite LIKE Miliband's positions and yet still go 'oh but I'LL PROBABLY VOTE GREEN...', which pisses me off no end. He was FUCKING CHOSEN BY BASTARDS LIKE YOU to APPEAL TO BASTARDS LIKE YOU :grr:

God I wish we'd gotten fucking AV.

30. Penelope

I think we could do with a poll. I hope Louf comes back at some stage, I'm interested to see if he's still voting Conservative because it's 'their turn'/if he still thinks them becoming total UKIP analogues on immigration is just an act.

31. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I tire of doing these polls. There was one not so long ago, but seeing as we're now in the midst of a very long campaign, it may be useful... But I'm not doing anything right now.

32. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

A massive investment in public services funded by oil revenue and supported by currency union with a foreign country?

About as sound as UKIP's handbag tax.

33. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

Good point

34. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I think we've discussed this here before, but how likely is it that the Lib Dems will be 'decimated'?

I mean I'm sure there is a not insignificant number of people who voted for them in 2010 who never would again (or at least SAY they wouldn't), but do I recall correctly that they actually won fewer seats in 2010 than 2005, despite having a higher share of the vote? It's not like there was a massive surge in support for them last time which resulted in a huge swathe of new MPs at all, who are now all vulnerable. I suspect that enough of their seats are Lib Dem strogholds and secure enough for them to not collapse, in terms of number of MPs they return.

35. Penelope

They're looking at about 20-30 seats in May - they'll be lucky to get more, it isn't likely they'll get less.

They did win fewer seats in 2010 than 2005, but it was mainly down to them falling foul of local targeting - their increase in support from 22% to 23% basically just meant they finished second in a lot of seats where they didn't stand a chance. The big problem is that they'll be going from 23% last time to less than 13/14% next time. Now those votes will be more concentrated in seats they already hold (as let's face it - if the Lib Dems aren't at all competitive in someone's seat, what reason would they have to be enthusiastic for voting for them?), but even so a lot of the seats they hold were pretty marginal, or full of the kinds of voters who went over en masse around Iraq and have since gone back to Labour or over to the Greens.

Those 20-30 will be the few strongholds where they're counting on several figure majorities, and they're looking like they'll be losing a few of those too (Danny Alexander's a goner, for one).

36. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

A party political broadcast? These aren't ongoing from now till May are they?

37. Slave

Slave User

I have absolutely no idea which way to go.

In any other year, I'd probably have gone Green, but the absolute MESS they've made of Brighton makes them (arguably) the worst possible choice.

38. Penelope

Oh yes. This is going to be the most interminable general election campaign ever, and you can thank the Fixed Term Parliaments Act for it. It's also why we probably won't be having two general elections this year.

39. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I assume Caroline Lucas is likely to remain MP despite the council performance.

40. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

This law can easily be changed though.