UK loses its AAA credit rating

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Ag, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

2. Jark

Jark I... know... how bad you want this

Honestly I've been kind of disillusioned with politics lately that I haven't been following it much, but why has Cameron not replaced Osborne already? His tenure as chancellor has really been a huge disaster hasn't it? He must know that he harms his own chances of re-election (already slim) by keeping a very unlikable and seemingly very incompetent man on in such a crucial position within government.

3. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I don't know Jark. It's like a REALLY SHIT Blair/Brown thing. Expect that was excellent.

4. Indie

Indie Great Tits IN THE SNOW

Yay! I win £10 from a drunken bet made 20 months ago.

5. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

So much for AUSTERITY

6. funky

funky OH SHE’LL HAVE TO CALL YOU BACK

As if ANYONE wants that UTTER GOON George Osbourne in power! He's less popular than Cameron! And that's quite a FEAT!

7. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

He makes Nick Clegg look celebrated.

8. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I also love how economic experts use the word 'sluggish' as official terminology.

9. David 5000

David 5000 I'll dance alone

It was inevitable that we were going to lose AAA at some point, especially after France and the USA lost theirs. I don't think it'll have much economic impact, but it's hugely politically symbolic.

10. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I noticed the BBC headline actually had the word 'Labour' in it for the first time since party conference season. It feels like this is the point of no return for the coalition. When the government say things like we're "making progress", it's just mocking words.

Although it's kind of irrelevant. I read something the other day how the countries of Europe keep voting out incumbent governments with the hope of getting a better one, just to get the same old shit. It's exactly the same here.

11. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I can't wait for the next election - it's just so difficult to call right now.

Incompetent government coupled with ineffective opposition does worryingly spell a return for the Tories though, this time on their own.

12. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Let's hope UKIP keep up the good work.

The Eastleigh by-election looks like a delicious taster. I'll be staying up for that. Everyone involved is entirely useless!

13. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Totally :D

UKIP is our only hope now. Eastleigh is developing into a right old shitstorm so far and providing no end of fun!

14. SDF

SDF We're all Angles in Chainz

The UK is the fourth most unequal country in the world.

The top most equal countries in the world are small, European countries with a similar makeup to Scotland.

Scotland would be the sixth richest country in the world in terms of gdp per head. The UK is 15th.

So I'm afraid we are not quite third world dear.

15. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

I'm struggling to blame the Tories or coalition government for the downgrade. I think in the long run the downgrade is just as bad news for Labour as it is for the Tories.

I'm still not sure how credit rating agencies still have so much respect and power - they seems to have escaped unharmed from their almighty fuck up five years ago.

As for Scotland, if they do decide to leave the Union, on the plus side it can only be good news for the credit rating of the residual UK. I hope they put in place proper firewalls to stop the UK from bailing out Scotland after the SNP have control of a full budget.

16. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

A independent ratings system brings huge benefits with it - that's why they've survived. There's no alternative to the service they provide, flawed at times or otherwise.

One of them offered me a job a few years ago. I'd either be unemployed or rich as Croesus had I gone for it, I'm never sure which one. I certainly don't regret not taking it though. Talk about DRYER than a NUN'S CHUFF.

17. David 5000

David 5000 I'll dance alone

I'm not sure, I'd have thought incompetent government was more likely to spell a change - give the ineffective opposition a chance to demonstrate their own incompetence.