UKIP Topic

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Ag, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Penelope

Penelope SMIRKING LESBIAN MOON

Honestly Sharla. You're a grown, intelligent man (I presume). Most people on welfare don't cite human rights exploitation if they get a kitchen diner instead of a lounge diner. Most people are happy to do a Luton to London commute if they can afford it. And most documentaries about benefits don't go into the affair with the intent of providing a balanced, nuanced picture of how benefits changes work and how they affect people when they can take a case that will piss people off, get people talking and get ratings.

2. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

I fucking hate Pam Ayres.

3. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

The woman's daughter wasn't citing human rights because of where they'd put their dining table, she was citing human rights because she was being moved out of a city away from her friends and support network. And yes, lots of people are prepared to do a commute but given a choice many may rather stay in the area they grew up in with the support network of their family. I know my parents did and missed out on the free child care that would have come with having grandparents nearby but they accepted it because again, it's what a lot of people do. They go for second best.

But the documentary was actually very well balanced, showing a family who'd been moved out to Milton Keynes try and stuggle while the father tried to commute to London to keep his job and single mothers on the verge of being sent to Birmingham who were repeatedly told "Have you tried selling Avon?" by job centre workers, with the answer being "Do you think I know people who can afford make up??"

I was certainly left with the feeling that there are many who reliant on the benefits system but wish they weren't and who appreciate the support as they try to manage their own lives, but there are some who have impossibly high expectations about what they should be given by the welfare system.

4. Penelope

It's what a lot of people do after deciding they want to choose to do that. There are a lot of people who decide that their support networks are more important than that and choose not to. I don't think the state should make it compulsory to break those bonds if the option is there and so radically change a lot of lives for the purpose of saving a few million here and a few million there out of a budget of £160bn.

5. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I was (mostly) joking but I didn't mean get rid of the immigrants, just get rid of some natives. I'm sure Spain needs the Pringles money more than we do

6. Kate

Kate she's for the streets BITCH

Deport all the UKIP berks to Bongo Bongo Land.

I just continue to be amazed at the amount of time spent worrying and whingeing about people on benefits when it is such a minor issue in the scheme of things. Why do we spend so much more time bleating about it than about corporate tax evasion AND avoidance which has FAR more financial impact?

7. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

OT:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0YBumQHPAeU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Euphoria

Euphoria User

It's already been posted :eyes:

9. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

10. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

We don't, do we? I'd say there's far more outrage from Middle England towards the likes of Starbucks and Amazon these days than towards those reliant on the welfare state.

But, let's face it, welfare reform isn't just about saving a few million quid here and there, it's about breaking cycles of poverty and reliance, changing aspirations and attitudes towards our own contributions to society. I'm not saying that the majority of people claiming benefits are feckless scroungers, which is the assumption of anyone who supports welfare reform, but I think reform of the system can lead to long term improvements in our society that go beyond budget savings.

11. Loufoque

Loufoque BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE

Exactly. Some Labour queens on here constantly reduce the benefits argument to "but it doesn't cost that much in the grand scheme of things". Yes, that's true, but it's about more than that. It's about the kind of culture we want to create for the country.

12. Penelope

I specifically made several points aside it not costing that much in the grand scheme of things - that's just the cherry on the cake.

We don't face an existential crisis on work in this country. 30 million people are in work. 2 million aren't. When times are good economically, it's closer to a million that aren't. That isn't a culture of dependency that pervades our country. And absolutely nothing has been said to deal with the salient point (and inconvenient one for people who pretend that ending cycles of poverty is as simple as people just pulling themselves up by their bootstraps) that there literally are not enough vacancies in the economy to solve the problem of unemployment just by making life on benefits harder. If you're using policy to create a culture, you should probably check that that policy works in creating that culture first.

13. Loufoque

Loufoque BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE

No but we absolutely face an existential crisis on politics. The UK is deeply fractured - whether you're talking about Scotland vs. the rest, liberal vs. conservative. What we need is a centrist policy which unifies people, because sticking to the Labour/Tory hymn-sheets is only serving to divide us further. Action needs to be taken on both ends of the spectrum to address this issue, and that involves rapprochement on both sides - including benefit reform.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  14. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

And the benefit reform has to include all the benefits that pensioners get which they don't need. Yes they make up the a huge part of the electorate and have contributed more to Britain's finances over the years, but all parties have to be up front about what they can also do to lower the welfare bill.

I've said before, Labour's biggest failure in its 13 years of a huge majority government was to totally bury their head in the sand over pensions and long term nursing care for the elderly, something the Tories are also guilty of because they don't want to lose votes.

15. Indie

Indie Great Tits IN THE SNOW

What exactly did they bury their head about?

I'd disagree but it's such a huge area it's difficult to know which point to address first.

16. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

My point was actually linking pensions to long term nursing care for the elderly, which is the NHS's biggest cost. There needed to be a debate about how it's going to be paid for because the NHS simply cannot afford it, alongside everything else it has to do. But that debate never happened, and now Labour's mooted "death tax" is widely ridiculed. Welsh Labour decided to backdate free nursing care and is now struggling to cope with claims from chancers who want a cheque for £15k because Auntie Maureen needed round the clock nursing care, even though she was living in Marbella and working as a kissogram.

Welfare reform was Blair's biggest priority and Frank Field was brought into think the unthinkable as the minister under Harriet Harman. Both got sacked although now I'm reading more up on it, there is was the battle with the unions over public sector pension reform which I approved of you were right, they didn't bury their head in the sand, but I think they could have done more.

17. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

UKIP are now hoping to take over the charts with this offensive (for many reasons) little ditty.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Xqs9OSbWluQ?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

It's already #17 on itunes :manson:

19. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

20. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

UKIP Calypso is written by Mike Read. Thank goodness I always thought he was dreadful.

[​IMG]

Former BBC Radio 1 DJ Mike Read has written a song in support of UKIP, which the party hopes its supporters will propel to number one.

UKIP Calypso, performed with a mock Caribbean accent, sings the praises of UKIP leader Nigel Farage.

But some Twitter uses complained that the track was racist.

Speaking to BBC Radio Berkshire, Read said: "If anyone has taken it the wrong way, many apologies. But it was never meant to be remotely racist."

He said he found accusations of racism "extraordinary", adding: "It's an old-fashioned political satire... you can't sing a calypso with a Surrey accent."

He continued: "I love all the cultures and creeds around the world."

The song has the chorus: "When we take charge/And the new prime minister is Farage/We can trade with the world again/When Nigel is at number 10."

Read is best known for hosting the Radio 1 breakfast show in the 1980s.

He currently hosts a daily show on BBC Radio Berkshire and is a long-standing supporter of the anti-EU party.

He spoke at its annual conference in 2012 and hosted an event at this year's conference.

In a Facebook message, UKIP said: "Our celebrity member Mike Read, the former Radio 1 DJ, has written a brand new single especially for UKIP and we need your help to get it to the top of the pop charts."

The song, credited to The Independents, has been released on iTunes and Amazon. The party said 20p from every 79p download would go to UKIP.

On Twitter, Mr Farage said: "Help get the UKIP Calypso by The Independents to Number 1."

The song makes digs at Prime Minister David Cameron, Chancellor George Osborne and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker.

There are also references to tax, immigration and the European Union, with lines like: "With the EU we must be on our mettle/Want to change our lawnmowers and our kettles."

UKIP recently gained its first elected MP after the defection of former Conservative Douglas Carswell.

Read himself has switched sides after attempting to stand as the Conservative candidate for London mayor in 2008.

A BBC spokeswoman said Read had not breached the corporation's guidelines on impartiality by releasing the song.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29693346

21. win_the_game

win_the_game User

Oh well he's always been a cunt.

22. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

23. lolly

If it wasn't for Maggie Philbin, I'd burn my copy of 'I Wanna Be A Winner' :(

24. lolly

Oh hang on, or was that Edmonds?

Well those jumpers and highlights are on a par with being a member of UKIP, so EITHER WAY

25. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I was amazed that he was singing it with a Caribbean accent, it sounded like he was doing Indian jibbah jabbah to me.

26. That One

That One User

I see a member of UKIP was in the papers today to deny that he used to play Bungle in Rainbow in the 1970s after a rogue Wikipedia edit

27. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

28. lolly

UKIP Calypso is #2 on amazon :manson:

Still, it's not like that worked out well for Cliff, is it?

29. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

How utterly HORRENDOUS :manson:

I've always had him down as one of Cliff's Pals IF YOU GET MY DRIFT

30. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

:disco:

31. PJL

PJL User

Rochester by-election prediction. Reckless to win for UKIP with a 4,000 majority.

32. Indie

I love how delightfully chavvy the Britain First candidate is.

33. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

Is it Wendy?

34. Indie

Jayda.

[​IMG]

I especially like the hand tattoo

35. Kate

Britain First is an actual party rather than just a bunch of cunts on Facebook?

36. Indie

37. Kate

I knew they had BNP links but I thought they were just an activist group. URGH

38. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

A UKIP U-Turn :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29722860

I like

Old-fashioned political satire = racism is the new Old-fashioned groping = sexual assault :D

39. lolly

[​IMG]

Still the #2 amazon single track download, and the #1 amazon album download!

40. Man in a Hamster Wheel

Man in a Hamster Wheel Mr Blue

I thought I'd find some context in this thread after checking the new charts and seeing "UKIP Calypso" in at #44... I actually presumed it would be some tongue-in-cheek "I'm In Love with Margaret Thatcher"-stylee protest song!