United Kingdom 2020: James Newman - My Last Breath

Discussion in 'Eurovision' started by dUb, Sep 16, 2019.

1. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

BMG have been announced to be taking part in the 2020 selection. From the wording, am I right in thinking the You Decide format has been scrapped and it's back to internal selection?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/eurovision/entries/b8a3b482-52bc-4256-8d85-e7ae6467753b

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  2. Ag

Ag User

Well you would after Michael Rice.

FetchFugly likes this.
  3. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

KYLIE FOR EUROVISION

FetchFugly likes this.
  4. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Technically all this confirms is that BMG will be involved in the process - the BBC might still want a national selection in some format or other.

Anything surely has to be a step up from the absolute no-marks we've had the past few years, so fingers cautiously crossed.

5. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

I suppose the mention of BBC Studios suggests there could still be a selection show of sorts. Either way, it's got to be an encouraging sign of it all being taken a bit more seriously.

*Honey G announced*

Zu-Klara likes this.
  6. Ag

Ag User

Well they just have to look at other entrants to see how much we look like amateur hour.

7. Ag

Ag User

8. Ag

Ag User

Let's have MABEL.

9. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Well, that sounds promising.

10. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

HARROGATE 2021:disco:

11. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

The BBC's Eurovision producer is a gay who's by all accounts very passionate and clued up, but the word is he's been massively constrained by higher-ups at the BBC in the past (plus ça change...).

Maybe he's finally managed to get a bit more of his own way this year. He's outwardly excited, anyway...

12. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

13. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

Well COLOUR ME AGOG

RaspberrySwirl and Dark Carnival like this.
  14. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I mean, you'd be surprised. If gays had been running the ship for the past 20 years we wouldn't be in the sorry state we're in today.:D

Do you really think a homosexual would have sanctioned ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK?

15. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

[​IMG]

The 2019 BBC Eurovision entry selection panel was heavily criticised for allowing LADIES to have an opinion

16. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

Does that mean we could possibly get some lovely gay heritage?

17. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

Hopefully we won't end up with Rick Astley or Martine (or Morrissey :zombie:).

18. Sheena

Rick wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me ONE LITTLE BIT if Morrissey was up for it. Not that he would be offered, but still...

19. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

Well this has to be a positive move, as anything different from the current process must be an improvement.

20. Sheena

We said that the last time they changed it too...

21. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

Just let me cling on to this for now!

Sheena likes this.
  22. cwej

cwej User

We literally went from a disastrous closed door policy to a You Decide and everyone celebrated it with open arms... now they are just doing the reverse, albeit with a major record label behind it, but I still imagine they'll put their work experience 19-year-old on it so as not to invest too much time and effort.

Just do the TV programme BUT GIVE US BETTER SONGS FFS.

23. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

I guess the problem is that they can’t get enough artists / songwriters with good enough songs / stage presence to make a tv show out of it

24. Sheena

The thing is, I’m not sure I believe that. In a world where even a shit UK entry has to earn more in royalties than a lot of other European entries and the Melodifestivalen/ Grand Prix/ Esthonian Festival of Music and I don’t know what can manage 10 or so entries better than ours, there HAS a to be something wrong somewhere.

The likelihood is that something wrong is just waiting for entries rather than actively scouting for them, for one...

25. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I think it's a combination of factors really.

The biggest issue is that of the already thin crop of singers/songwriters in this country who'd consider Eurovision, the prospect of not even winning a national selection is just a potential humiliation too far, let alone the prospect of actually going and finishing in the bottom 5.

Then you've got the UK's dismal record, meaning even professional songwriters who do work in Eurovision are more inclined to push their work in other countries. Getting into the final 28 in Melfest, for example, is already massively more profitable than getting onto a crappy UK selection.

It's not impossible of course. There's no reason why something like 'Proud' couldn't have been a UK entry. But I think the BBC is just fundamentally too dysfunctional - and apathetic - to pull it all together.

26. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I don't think it's impossible though, you only need to look at The Netherlands - they were the worst performing country at Eurovision in the 00s, with 9 non-qualifications, sending absolute TOILET to Eurovision. Back then NO ONE in the Netherlands would touch Eurovision and they sent a constant stream of nobodies, and they all failed dismally.

Then in 2013, all of a sudden a change in direction and they send a credible artist which shoots them straight into the top 10, and they pretty much built on that (let's sidestep Trintje) over the years until the stars aligned and they eventually won. If they can do it, then I really don't see how any other country, including the UK, can't.

I guess at least seeing that the current set up isn't working and trying something else is something. I know that the current team were brought in quite late last year and they weren't able to change too much as it was already set, but they're a good team and I think they have potential. I think it's a correct decision to make it an internal selection as the level of artist we were getting just didn't cut it. Let's see what it brings...

27. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I've always said the Dutch model was our best bet, but the thing is Anouk pretty much made that happen herself and then others followed.

On occasion reasonable UK artists have voiced an interest (much as I dislike his music, James Blunt would have been a big coup when he was making noises about it 5 years ago) but either their record labels have quashed it or the BBC just haven't followed up on it. Likely a combination of both.

Having BMG on board does give me some hope in that sense. If they have a decent artist, hopefully under 50, who's got a great record but no prospect of getting on the Radio 1 playlist, maybe they'll be open to it. Radio 2 would play them anyway.

28. Sheena

The thing with the whole big artist thing, it wouldn’t be humiliating if they approached it the right way. A “look, we’ve been doing really badly, let’s give it a real bloody go” attitude and then still coming last could easily be palmed off on “see, it IS political” and not do someone much damage at all I don’t think.

Admittedly, it’s persuading that someone to do something like that, but still...

29. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

Wasn’t that the Blue model? And they didn’t do too badly.

Any chance of convincing Take That these days?

30. Yvonne Mondle

Yvonne Mondle User

PLEASE GOD NO

SDF likes this.
  31. Sheena

Exactly. And the Lloyd-Webber in a way...

Barlow's "serious artiste" thing would mean they wouldn't go near it. Also, I think they WOULD be an act that has something to lose- ok, they're not commercially doing very well sales wise, but they are a major touring act and have worked hard on a credibility they never had in their younger days. Eurovision would push that back...

32. Devil

Devil I Need A House

I'm not too clued up on the whole thing, but as a casual fan it seems to me the problem is the whole country see Eurovision as it perhaps was twenty years ago - a 'LOL lets get drunk and watch our European cousins sing silly songs on stage and marvel at the OTT performances'. Ignoring the fact that half of the entrants are actually decent pop tracks, performed to a pretty damn good standard. Then when we get in the bottom five 'oh it's all political', ignoring the fact the song and performance we sent is to a Butlins talent show level.

Until the UK, including the industry, start looking more at the Loreen/Duncan type quality of entrants and realising if we did put in some effort, it can actually be a platform to a couple of hundred million people and for a new artist could actually given them a great career boost if executed well.

There really is no excuse why a nation that regularly produces some of the biggest pop acts in the world cannot find one 8/10 song and artist once a year to send to a contest.

Jark likes this.
  33. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I think record label and BBC politics are just as much if not more to do with it than the artists themselves.

I can well imagine when James Blunt put his name forward his label vetoed the idea in short order. There’s quite a few stories like that.

34. Pingu

Pingu Never thought I'd work again

I reckon the record company thing is a good move in general from the point of view of having access to people who know how to put a hit together and can hopefully put some resources into promoting it.

People's speculation always seems to go towards what any of these developments could mean for who represents us, but I doubt we're any more likely to have someone any of us have heard of than previous years. I would imagine it'll be a new artist to their roster who they want to push.

35. Ag

Ag User

Last years line up was so amateur. An artist nurtured by a record company is at least potentially closer to the current model of Eurovision acts.

Pingu and David_5000 like this.
  36. Beverley

And the songs just haven't been winners

37. Ag

Ag User

Well of course, but at this stage top 10 would be considered a HUGE SUCCESS.

38. Beverley

But winners in the sense that they haven't even come close to being worthy of top 10

39. cwej

cwej User

Top 10 songs all have in common that they feel like POTENTIAL winners at least - songs that performed well and given a good draw in the running order would have a chance. Ours haven't even felt like that.

40. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

Twitter is rife with rumours and suggestions, Fleur East and Kele Okereke seem to be doing the rounds.

Kele has also postponed his tour until the 18th May. :eyes:

Oddly quiet so far though.