Veganism is a protected philosophical belief

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Ag, Jan 3, 2020.

1. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

That's what I thought was awful.

Agreed re crispy tofu though. Theres a Japanese restaurant here which does crispy teriyaki tofu which is amazing. So nice when you feel like you've done the right thing and it's because you really want it, rather than because you feel you ought.

2. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

Actually these remind me of the CHEAPO CHRISTMAS CHOCOLATE my beloved late Nan used to buy in the 70s which probably also CONTAINED NO MILK

3. Cloud

Cloud Heck

you're such a fun guy, m'shroom *tips fedora*

Trying alpro coconut milk because why not. Absolutely divine on granola, and okay in coffee (makes it like that fancy flavoured coffee that costs about £5 for a jar with about 5 teaspoons worth in it). Just a pity about the lack of protein in it, there's a reason soya is the most popular

4. Kate

Kate most die in your bedroom

I got some cashew nut yoghurt today which I shall try in a curry tomorrow.

5. Suedey

Suedey #WorldChorusDay2020

I like most of the products from this range to be honest!

6. Suedey

Oh and I LOVE a jackfruit BIRYANI :disco:

7. octophone

octophone ADMIN, bitches!!

I've had good jackfruit pulled pork but the one Tesco recently put out was absolutely hideous.

I'm reading there's a new Linda McCartney "duck" out there, anyone had it?

8. Ag

Ag User

One was enough.

9. octophone

Well, REALLY.

YOU try playing the tambourine and singing the chorus to "Hey Jude" whilst simultanously whipping up a vegetarian "lawbster" bisque and then you can come back to me and talk shit about Saint Linda. :oi:

Suedey likes this.
  10. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

My main problem so far is the CHEESE. I've tried Violife's cheddar-y one and it was a bit just too like butter and then I've had Koko's and it ACTUALLY TASTES LIKE FUCKING COCONUT. I've also had a couple of other varieties which were the same. Are there any which anyone can recommend?

Cheese, inevitably, will be my downfall to not bothering with veganism. I just can't see my world without it.

11. Ag

Ag User

I just ate a vegan pizza, which shock horror Mr Ag LOVED. The sloppy absence of protein remains an issue for me. The cheese texture was wrong but ok.

12. Suedey

Yeah, vegan cheese is not quite there yet. I've tried those two and they're not satisfactory.

MMMMM CHEESE.

13. Suedey

The only vegan pizza I've liked so far has been at that Stable chain. They have a fair range of vegan pizzas. I can't remember which one I tried but the vegan cheese on it was pretty good.

14. lolly

I enjoyed the vegan pizza (well, a piece of it) I had at Franco Manca.

15. Sheena

I just remembered I bought Violife Parmesan in my last Ocado order and so I went and tried a bit and actually, that was edible. Nothing like cheese and eating a lump wasn't exactly amazing, but it's left a pleasant cheese and onion-y after taste and I think it might be just about OK on top of a meal...

16. octophone

A couple of the soft vegan cheeses (the Philadelphia substitutes) are fine, especially Sainsbury's one but everything I've tried that attempted to be an actual block of cheddar cheese has been absolute violence.

17. Sheena

So in my never-ending quest to find half decent vegan cheese, I was recommended this and a quick search suggests it's the best, admittedly of a bad bunch. Tried it today and I can agree- not a patch on ACTUAL cheese, obviously, but it was ok. Certainly would buy it again. They've also launched a blue cheese version this week, so bought that too, but yet to sample.

[​IMG]

Suedey likes this.
  18. lolly

I've just been to Frankie & Benny's (feel free to judge me) and their Viva la vegan burger was quite decent. Not much in the way of flavour on its own, but within all the other flavours of a burger it was fine, and quite a pleasing texture.

19. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

@Sheena Applewood do a vegan cheese now and it’s actually really nice.

20. Alla

Alla ®

Is vegan cheese more expensive than real one? Which isn't usually cheap.

21. octophone

Some of the peeps in here have tried the KFC vegan thingy and are actually impressed. This includes a meat-eater who preferred the texture. KFC's all in the coating anyway, innit? They could cover unsold copies of "Rudebox" in it and it would sell.

22. Sheena

I’ll keep my eyes open. The Violife Parmesan wasn’t too bad but the fucking SMELL! My office was like cheesy feet all day after just a sprinkle on my lunch. Everyone kept grimacing as they came in and I had to explain!

In other cheese related news, the amazing Mr Sheena traipsed halfway across London this week to bring home some cheese from vegan cheeserie La Fauxmagerie. We’re going to try them in a cheeseboard affair tomorrow night. I will report back!

23. Sheena

Why are you so obsessed with the negatives, oh Pedro Morgan?

Of course it’s more expensive- there’s far less demand and so economies of scale are not possible?

24. Sheena

I think you’ll find the coating is made of unsold copies of “Rudebox”...

octophone likes this.
  25. Kalabaliken

I have got really into plant milks this past month in my coffees - most places like Costa/Pret etc are now doing it for FREE when it usually costs more. It's like having a different type of coffee each time. The Rice-Coconut milk in Pret is a particular fave, and an Oat Latte is also really nice.

I am toying with going full-time vegan, but it's more the things that have milk as a secret ingredient which is the killer. Kettle now do vegan cheese and onion crisps which I have yet to try but are on my list!

[​IMG]

26. Sheena

Nah, I won’t ever go fully vegan, but I’m having fun seeing what I can replace and go without, and I’m good with that.

27. Sheena

The whole coffee shop thing BEMUSED me. I don’t drink coffee anyway, but it amazed me that there have been all these ads about “free plant milk” like they’re doing you some massive favour.

Er, no, everyone’s just been ripped off for years.

28. Cloud

Cloud Heck

Yeah that's me in a nutshell also

Got some Alpro coconut based milk and tried that over the past week. LOVELY on my granola. Quite nice in coffee as it makes it taste like a fancy coconut flavoured coffee that you normally get in tiny jars for about 6 quid, but needs a lot to really make the coffee white. Just not enough protein really so I can see why soy is the popular one. Also, perfectly happy with the thought of being a SOY BOY :D

Sustainability questions are a minefield. I get it with the problems of almond milk now. However all of the options even that have less of an impact (from my digging around) than cow's milk, so someone who prefers almond milk, while they could choose something better in terms of nutrition vs. environmental impact, needn't beat themselves up (if they care about that sort of thing enough to). It's still an improvement!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  29. Kalabaliken

Almond milk will ALWAYS be better than cow's milk in my opinion - never even mind the environmental impact, but the ethical impact is more important to me.

Suedey likes this.
  30. Kate

Kate most die in your bedroom

A friend opined last weekend that consuming dairy is actually worse, ethically, than eating meat where the animals are well looked after. Because you CAN treat cows well and slaughter them humanely but there’s nothing humane about taking a calf away from its mother to force her to produce milk. An interesting point that’s been on my mind since.

31. octophone

The dairy industry is probably worse but I don't think long-time vegetarians should be criticised. We know vastly more about these things than we used to and the conversation has changed because of that.

Also, most of the animals aren't THAT well looked after. Battery farming is a very real thing.

32. Cloud

Cloud Heck

Interesting point. Another good reason to keep on that mission for half decent vegan cheese! Milk's sorted far as I'm concerned, you could even mix soy with a bit of coconut to make it a bit nicer. Cheese... I await

Still less concerned about chickens. We took its eggs! Um, oh dear?
    But that's probably just blissful ignorance, not gonna lie. I've been surprised by the personality of hamsters and wouldn't eat or milk one even if it were possible :D Not exactly a stretch to imagine it of chickens. Don't befriend your food species.

33. Ag

Ag User

The jackfruit chilli was quite pleasant FYI.

Suedey likes this.
  34. lolly

Has anyone tried the Co-Op's plant based 'Gro' range yet? I picked up some beet burgers and meat ball things earlier. I figured as both of those will be in meals with a lot of other strong flavours, it's a good place to start.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  35. big ron

big ron MOD

Had some of their sausages this week as they've taken the Cauldron ones off the shelf. I love the cauldron ones so I'm pretty fucked off about it.

The Gro ones are mushroom protein rather than soy, so they have a different texture to your usual veggie sausages. They grill really nicely though to be fair, and I'd say are very close to a 'proper' sausage texture wise. I'm done with Pork so I'm happy with them as a replacement.

lolly likes this.
  36. big ron

big ron MOD

I tried the Vivera 'steaks' last night and they had the texture of really cheap burgers made from pulped arseholes and the like. Wouldn't recommend.

37. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

SOY gives me the SQUITS

I blame overexposure to BATCHELORS BEANFEAST during my mothers late 80s VEGETARIAN PHASE

38. Sheena

The Vivera chicken is fucking appalling. Tastes almost game-y in a really weird, synthetic way.

39. Sheena

Absolutely fucking LOVED this though. Definitely my favourite meat substitute so far:

[​IMG]

40. Sheena

Ooh I LOVE Beanfeast!