Voting at the 1981 Contest

Discussion in 'Eurovision' started by smexy, Apr 12, 2009.

1. smexy

smexy Guest

I have never seen this before, what an absolute shambles! The constant interruptions, the dodgy phone lines, confused spokespeople, the malfunctioning scoreboard and the fact that clearly nobody got the memo about reading their points out in ascending order. I particularly like Yugoslavia leaving the phone unattended and the 'I don't have it!' when asked for their votes. The poor presenter kept a very cool head throughout.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oSzAG4z7DWE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oSzAG4z7DWE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V3ywK-3uwNU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V3ywK-3uwNU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jea0y-88foU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jea0y-88foU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mp9IFtyzSvQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mp9IFtyzSvQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
  2. Man in a Hamster Wheel

Man in a Hamster Wheel Mr Blue

"Could. You. Go. A. Little. Bit. More. Slow. Please?"

"Certainly"

:D

3. Man in a Hamster Wheel

Bel-dzji-oom, seven points.

4. David

David Misanthropic Old Bastard

Lena Valaitis wuz robbed, that was the biggest shambles.

5. David

The voting for the 1991 contest might have been more farcical though. I won't moan about the result but Toto nearly killed Eurovision! Two years in a row!

6. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

Oh yes, but then again bar Nicole we came 2nd like every third year back in the 70s/80s :evil:

7. smexy

smexy Guest

I watched 1988 earlier too (this is how I am spending my Easter weekend) and i'm glad I wasn't old enough to remember that. Pipped right at the death by Celine.

8. Ag

Ag User

On an unrelated note I have been watching old TOTP chart rundowns today. Start but I might start a related topic.

9. David

Well it's not like Scott Fitzgerald was any good...

If only Lena had won Melodifestivalen that year, 'Om Igen' is better than either Scott or Celine's efforts.

10. smexy

smexy Guest

He wasn't any good but it's always nice to win. We did finish second a ridiculous amount of times. Whilst Ireland has won the most contests the UK must have accumulated the most points by some distance?

11. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

(It's a MUCH BETTER SONG than Scott's)

But yes, it must have been CRUEL. Just like the Macedonian vote in 1998. But that was only cruel to Malta whilst everyone else was CHEERING. :D

12. David

I just found this, which is a table of total scores since 1975 (not including semis)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13. Ag

Ag User

I bet we were at 3000 at the start of the decade...

14. Ag

Ag User

I wonder who has done best this decade... Greece, Ukraine, Russia, Serbia... at a GUESS

15. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

Austria really is a SPECTACULARLY SHIT Eurovision country, isn't it? :(

16. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

Turkey have been on a ROLL since 2003 as well.

17. smexy

smexy Guest

I'd hazard a guess at Greece, I cannot recall the last time they finished outside of the top 10.

18. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

S.A.G.A.P.O and 'Never Let You Go both' finished 17th in 2002 and 2003 respectively but other than that they've not done worse than 9th since 2001. Quite good, innit.

19. smexy

smexy Guest

I loved S.A.G.A.P.O.

20. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Armenia have had three top tens out of three. Should be interesting to see if they can make it four.

21. David

Greece also didn't take part in 2000 which would hurt their scores for this decade... if I were a guessing man I would say Russia have done the absolute best in terms of scoring.

22. Jake

Jake On A Mission

Armenia will be top 10 this year

23. David

THIS DECADE:

Russia - 1262
    Greece - 1166
    Turkey - 975
    Ukraine - 950
    Sweden - 835
    Serbia (inc Serbia & Montenegro 04 and 05) - 828

Of those only Russia and Turkey have competed at every contest. And Sweden, which I added later.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  24. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

I say they won't unless they get a DREAM SLOT in the finals. It's their weakest yet by a MILE.

25. smexy

smexy Guest

In the same period the UK have scored just 272 points and 111 of those came in 2002.

26. Jake

Jake On A Mission

2007 was wank biscuit and it still did not bad. 'Jan Jan' is far better than that.

27. Madison

But Hayko did get a dream slot.

28. David

I love the fact that 'Without Your Love' managed to be performed both First and Last at eurovision 2006, not counting the encore.

29. Madison

It made a particularly exciting semi-final for me. Debut entrant, diaspora-voting as yet unconfimerd - having to wait until the final envelope was opened.

30. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

On the contrary, I thought Anytime You Need was probably one of the most anonymous entries of that year but it was HEAPS better than that 'Jan Jan' dirge and it had a brilliant slot. If they get a Sirusho draw again they can kiss their Top10 streak goodbye.

31. Man in a Hamster Wheel

I was too busy feeling sorry for orangey old Kate Ryan (holding hands for dear life with her Swedish backings in the green room) by then.

32. Little My

Little My User

I'm not sure I'd sit through voting videos on youtube, but whatever floats your boat. :)

That said, these type of fiascos made Eurovision. Or was I watching for the wrong reasons?

33. Little My

Little My User

WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT!

34. David

Do you still have Mess locked up in your garden shed?

35. Little My

Little My User

Funny you should mention that. It collapsed last week! :D

They're in the cupboard under the stairs. Brought out for special occasions.

36. Little My

Little My User

I'm very surprised at how low down Luxembourg are on that list. I know they haven't competed for a while but even so.

Edit: Scrap this, just read since 1975. :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  37. David

The other thing is of course that since 2004 there have been a lot more points given since non finalists have been voting too.

38. Little My

Little My User

Well, fancy posting a completely biased list like that. I ask you.