What are you gaming? 2020

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by Mats, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Mats

Mats User

I did not know about the Steam refund policy :o I'm afraid it'll lag on both laptop and desktop for me though but at least I can say I tried (and emptied the coffers because what else should I test?)

depending on your build, upgrading RAM can be really easy

2. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

Got the new/old Tony Hawks - its fucking solid, or I'm just old now.

I enjoy watching Ron Jr just smash the buttons and get a 15,000 point combo though.

3. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

I've just got Death Stranding and am however many hours in, but probably not many - oh my fucking god, I love it and all its deliberately slow, ambiguous awkwardness. I don't think I've ever played a game like this where you have to watch every movement your character makes for fear of toppling over and ruining all the things you've meticulously gathered on your shoulders, before running into Timefall rain that RUINS IT ANYWAY without anywhere to run and hide. It feels like it's trolling me but demands my attention all the time.

And then dying but not really dying with the ghost type figures floating around which seems to take you through several stages before you actually get to die/revive.

Also, it's beautiful. So so stunning. I can't remember when I last played a Hideo Kojima game (by which I mean Metal Gear, I'm not sure I've played any others) but it's got him all over it with the convoluted story and weird what-the-fuck-is-happening-here vibe throughout. Carrying around babies and dead whales and whatnot.

I can see why people find it frustrating but this ALREADY feels like a lost classic.

*gets bored and turns off a quarter way through*

whatisityoucantface likes this.
  4. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

I also got and completed Little Nightmares recently - really short but wow, just such an enchanting experience. I think I prefer "Inside" and "Limbo" (same team I think or similar games if not) but this one pushes it a bit further and genuinely terrified me at times. I can't think of anything to liken it to except imagining Coraline the film as an intense side scrolling game. Running away from fat people trying to eat you will stay with me forever quite possibly.

Mats likes this.
  5. straightorbroken

straightorbroken reflected onto the wet pavement

I finished the end of Little Nightmares for a friend on PS4. Not the kind of game I'd play on my own (no not because it's scary), but it was lots of fun scrambling away from these putrid hunters only to realize..

Today I've been getting frustrated and misty eyed over Mario 64. I also played a tiny bit of Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate on Switch as it's £15. Lots of text.

6. Mats

Mats User

the bandaged man with the long arms is haunting me still

Inside was a great game as well. how such seemingly simple things can cause panic or thrill. I loved the blob :D

7. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Finally started playing Starlink. Love just zipping about in this game. The feel is really good.

8. ButterTart

ButterTart Didn't we have fun?

I’ve got Shenmue III staring at me, wanting to be played. My Sims have also just moved into a bigger house with room for a pool so I don’t want to leave them quite yet.

9. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe Anum Rapax

I really need to give the Sims another whirl. Your anecdotes make me nostalgic for it.

ButterTart likes this.
  10. ButterTart

ButterTart Didn't we have fun?

I’d not played it for YEARS and then the name Tamla-Mo Towne popped into my head and I just knew I had to make a Sim of her. She now has a son called Kingston.

COB likes this.
  11. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe Anum Rapax

I'm playing Crash 4 and it seems really well made and at two levels in I'm loving it already.

I'd go as far as to say it's giving me...
    [​IMG]

12. Mats

Mats User

13. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

:D

Really good! The gameplay is very very similar to Horizon Zero Dawn so I wonder if they're from the same developers. It's so bloody DARK though and I couldn't work out how to up the brightness on my TV.

Also the main character is SO FIT.

14. Mats

Mats User

I should give it a bash, it is free after all

you can't up the brightness from the settings in the game?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  15. Indie

Indie Great Tits

This. The soundtrack to my teenage years too.

16. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I'm halfway (according to the app) through Red Dead Revolution 2 and my word, it is fabulous. Everything moves at a glacial pace but once you become at peace at that, it becomes quite a serendipitous way to spend your time.

17. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

I’m playing Nioh and it’s jolly good fun. Not as punishing as Dark Souls and it’s very satisfying slashing demons.

18. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

Cyberpunk delayed for I think the third or fourth time to December.

19. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

They don’t do crunch like they used to do they :(

Bring back the days Rare buying people houses to finish Perfect Dark I say.

20. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I don't want to spoil the MOOPY MAINSTREAM enjoyment of that Cyberpunk game but CDPR/GOG have a CHECKERED history of winking at the alt-right and making jokes about trans issues, which coupled with the terrible crunch culture they seem to allow plus the hypermasculinity of their games make me want to STEER WELL CLEAR of them.

21. straightorbroken

There's already been a transphobic in-game spotting I'm sure.

22. Mats

Mats User

what's the transphobic issue? the poster of the lady with a boner?

23. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I'm currently playing Tropico 6, a game in which you take control of a country and do dirty deals and meddle in elections to cling onto power. Quite TOPICAL :D

Raining On Me and VoR like this.
  24. Indie

Indie Great Tits

I've gone and bought one of these, because I am 10 years old.

[​IMG]

I still have two functioning original Game + Watch editions from 1983 - Donkey Kong 2 and Pinball. Sadly I have lost Mario's Cement Mixer though :(

Peekaboo, Gangsta Nancy Lam and COB like this.
  25. Indie

Indie Great Tits

I completed Tony Hawks 1 last night. Took a while to get back into the swing of it but now i'm bashing out 50k combos like there's no tomorrow.

26. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

I honestly couldn't get into it. I've never felt so old.

27. Mats

Mats User

I've just begun and am probably 1 hour in. I am blown away / toppled over. the world-building and design, the animation, the stark contrast between the concrete cities and bright green hills and mountains. it's gorgeous and makes me wish I had a bigger, better TV...

I almost don't care if it becomes slow and repetitive running Amazon Prime-style through the lands down the line, the originality and creativity alone makes it a great game

I just had my first encounter with BTs and a FLOOD of black, sticky liquid. I totally panicked :D

28. straightorbroken

Has anyone played Abzû? I loved their earlier game, Journey, but never played anything else they've made.

29. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

What are gaymers ( :eyes: ) thoughts on the newer assassin creed games? I loved loved Brotherhood but then they all got a bit tired but I’m hearing good things about Valhalla. Are they worth another punt?

30. Mats

Mats User

I hadn't played one since Black Flag but gave Odyssey a go (well I played through the main quest). it was a mediocre experience. big well-designed world to explore, yes, and an okay story but way too many irrelevant mini-quests catering to completionists, like "collect 50 feathers" or somesuch. I also didn't like weapons and armour, it felt like spam loot where there's never a real sense of moving to the next level, it's like every new weapon you find just has one more damage than the current. and you find A LOT!

Valhalla looks like they just changed the textures to be honest. I never played Brotherhood so I don't know how they compare

31. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Submarine exploration games is my NICHE! :disco:

I really enjoyed it but it's more of a one-off experience like Journey or Edith Finch, rather than a proper exploration game. If you enjoyed Journey I thoroughly recommend it though, it's in the same wheelhouse.

32. straightorbroken

Jolly good. It was around £1 on the eShop, so I dived right in. Ahem.

33. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

I've been playing Odyssey for most of the year, it's huge! I preferred Origins tbh, it's quite cheap so worth a look.

I'm not convinced about Valhalla to be honest, I think it's a good Viking RPG but it doesn't feel anything like the Assassin's Creed we all loved.