What are your food/drink addictions

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Culture' started by Ellie, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

It only just occurred to me that over the last few years my caffeine intake is practically down to zero. I never had any real addiction but since switching to Redbush tea purely because it's the only one I can drink without having to add sugar, weaning myself off multiple daily diet cokes and never eating dark chocolate anyway, I can't think of much I have on a regular basis containing it. I just decided this morning to have a cup of coffee for the first time in forever and I actually felt so ill that I couldn't finish it.

Sugar is definitely my main addiction, as well as crisps which must surge my salt intake despite never unnecessarily adding it to anything.

2. Jark

Jark User

Chocolate in a big way. I need to cut down on it. Some weeks I get a 100g bar of Milka every day at lunch. That's 500 kcals I really could do without (not to mention the effects of dairy farming on the planet etc).

I don't think I could live happily without peanut butter or (though I've cut down a lot) pasta.

3. Edward

Edward User

In no particular order: Marmite, Lindt Dark Hazelnut (and most dark chocolate in general), Liège waffles, eggs benedict, olives, sushi, coffee, croissants, tea, cake. There's more but I can't remember.

4. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Coffee. Nowhere near as bad as it was (usually only two cups a day now), but I still wouldn't ever want to be without it.

Sugar as well. Although I've stopped having it in coffee, there are times when I crave sugary drinks (usually Coke). Again, nowhere near as bad as it was. Going back many years I'd be having about a litre of Coke a day. I'll often go several days or probably even a week without a can now. There are just times when I really feel as if I need one.

5. Edward

Edward User

I cannot stand 99% of milk chocolate these days (unless it's in a cake or something).

6. lolly

Well that's just about 75% of my diet.

7. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Not sugar at ALL. I hardly touch sweet stuff and actively dislike ACTUAL sugar.

I’d say mayonnaise and mayonnaise type things and cheese.

8. Rita

Rita User

I don’t drink tea or coffee, and although I am partial to a slice of cake and alcohol I am not addicted.

Everything in moderation darling.

9. Jætike

Jætike Gay horses eat hay

I'm up to 2 cups of coffee a day if I'm going to school or doing any brain work. 3 years ago I'd get palpitations and diarrhoea if I even drank half a cup.

10. big ron

big ron MOD

This morning we were out of coffee and had no milk for tea, I was proper groggy until I got some caffeine in me.

100% addicted to coffee and long may it continue, I fucking love the stuff.

11. Jætike

Jætike Gay horses eat hay

Unfortunately I still haven't developed a liking for coffee. It's the same as eating vegetables. I eat it because it's good for me. The smell of good coffee is amazing though, but the taste is too much on the bitter and astringent side

12. Ellie

I've never really understood the obsession people have with coffee, especially those who are irritable if they don't have one. I find addiction to hard drugs more understandable. As a non regular coffee drinker, the only way I can have it without being sick is in its purest form like a black Espresso or Americano. All that crap with foam, milk, skinny cream, shots of syrup or whatever the new concoction of the month is, makes me wonder why bother having it at all?

13. Jark

Jark User

Liège waffles :D!

Zu-Klara and Suedey like this.
  14. lolly

Don't go giving Edward a Brussels waffle!

Suedey and Jark like this.
  15. big ron

big ron MOD

Fuck all that, freshly ground, through a proper machine, with fuck all else in it.

I wouldn't say I'm irritable without it, it just takes me longer to shift my morning fog. I never used to drink coffee but I'm now a proper snob.

16. lolly

So you don't understand why adding sugar to it makes it more addictive, when you describe yourself as having a sugar addiction?

monsta likes this.
  17. Mugatu

Mugatu Ladministrator

I drank a big bottle of pink Lucozade nearly every day when I was writing my dissertation, it was like pissing highlighter pen ink.

Not sure if I have an addictive personality because I don't actually like anything, but when I work out how to make a meal perfectly then I do it over and over again until I make a mistake, then I burn my hand on the hob as penance.

COB, Diddy and Edward like this.
  18. Ellie

No, sugar is fine, but other flavours and milk/cream/foam - just have a milkshake.

19. lolly

But milkshake hasn't got the two or three shots of espresso in that any Starbucks etc drinks of that ilk do. Something like a large caramel macchiato has three shots of caffeine plus a good few glugs of syrup in - I imagine probably equivalent to six teaspoons of sugar plus. Those drinks are truly the worst of both worlds. And you're going to be at least as addicted as the person drinking espresso.

20. Ellie

Yeah, but just have the espresso and be done with it! Then have a bag of Haribo. It’s the mixing of the two that my body can’t handle, like Rachel’s trifle in that Friends episode!

21. lolly

Well you know, perhaps some people actually like it. If you fancy a hot coffee flavoured milkshake then go for it. It's only when people have them and consider themselves some sort of coffee aficionado that it bugs me.

I do think caffeine is seriously underestimated though. I've got a couple of friends who are both ex heroin and crack users who won't go near it because it leaves them so wired. Although I dare say years of that abuse has probably fucked up their brain chemistry.

Ellie likes this.
  22. big ron

big ron MOD

I just had a coleslaw sandwich. Judge away.

23. octophone

octophone smack your lips (clap your teeth)

Chocolate.

24. octophone

octophone smack your lips (clap your teeth)

Seriously. I am a fat fuck because chocolate. I wish I didn't like it. My father doesn't and I could floss my fucking teeth with him.

Lee, Diddy and Pipo like this.
  25. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

I can’t believe I have never tried this :disco:

26. big ron

big ron MOD

Also very nice on toast.

27. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

caffeine - tea, coffee, diet coke.

28. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

Only with cheese also.

And perhaps jalapenos.

29. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

This has made me fancy a TOASTED COLESLAW BAGEL. never had one. but I fancy one now. with some chili flakes.

30. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

Crisps, biscuits, cheese. These things I would consume infinitely if I could. But I don't.

31. Pipo

Pipo i feel like i am the Paris of people

Coffee
    Oatmeal
    BREAD (especially biscuits, the american type ones, what do you call those in the UK? Muffins?)
    Club Soda
    Peanut Butter
    Chicken
    most fruits mainly bananas, apples, strawberries

32. lolly

Oh yes, BREAD

I've never met a type of bread I didn't love

33. Ag

Ag User

Cheese, chocolate, crisps, pizza, coffee, diet coke, bagels, olives, pasta/ pesto, eggs, garlic...

I do love meat, but I could probably live without it. I do love many vegetables but I eat mostly as a necessity, rather than because I just can't help myself.

34. Ag

Ag User

This is literally our weekly eating regime. I'd say there's three-four meals we have every week and the rest we vary.

35. Jark

Jark User

Scones, no?

Fucked up that Americans abuse words like biscuit, jelly and chips.

36. lolly

I very much go into this mode in winter - less so in summer. And in winter it's often hulking great potfuls that we can eat for couple of days.

37. Ag

Ag User

Rarely do we eat the same thing two dinners running. I will often eat the remains for next day's lunch however.

38. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

I'm so bad with sweets. I like the jelly types, like jelly tots, strawberry laces etc. Marks and Spencer have the best veggie sweet range, I could eat packets and packets of those.
    In reality I don't eat that much, just because I don't buy them. From time to time Mr Star buys them for me as a treat, I can't be trusted :D

39. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

This is my life, I always cook for two days at a time because I just don't have the time to cook fresh everyday

40. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Mr Sheena cooks two things a week and then that’s his lunch and dinner for 5 days. It would bore me to tears!

(Having said that, I made an amazing slow roast brisket and vegetables in the slow cooker today whilst I was in London and used up all the leftover potatoes for mash so I have plated up three meals of that to microwavefor tomorrow and Friday, but only because it all needed using and it isn’t really freezable).