What do you LOVE and HATE about facebook?

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by Ag, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Ag

Ag User

I am currently hating (read loving, because I'm having fun mocking it) - this iPhone location thing.

NO-ONE CARES THAT YOU'RE AT SAINSBURYS AND IF I SEE YOU ON HOLIDAY I'M GONNA ROB YOUR HOUSE

Also hate baby photos and self hating people with desperate sympathy requiring status updates...

Can't think what I love about it, considering I'm on it ALL THE TIME.

2. delirium

delirium TOODLES FUCKFACE

Places is doing my tits in. ANDREW IS AT SPAR? That was genuinely an update. WTF?

Something that I've recently noticed is when I look at photos or send an e-mail, Facebook suggests 'similar photos I may enjoy'. It's very strange. I've made it a point on commenting on these photos and friends are reacting with joy/horror as these photos are nearly always at least a couple of years old.

3. Mats

Mats User

I love events. it's easy to see what's happening here and there and keep a calendar of activities this way. actually after I abandoned facebook I have far less feel of what's going on in Copenhagen

the reason I left is all the status craze/photo tagging. it freaked me out that people knew what I was up to and where I'd been all the time

4. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

LOVE: Being in constant contact with friends who live in other countries who I'd otherwise not speak to much at all

HATE: Places. Seriously the worst invention ever. I also hate the fact that I share too much personal stuff with clients etc.

5. Tischlampe

Tischlampe 'alooooo

One of my 'friends' was going up the District Line yesterday, and her Places updated at every station. "XX is at Becontree Station", "XX is at Dagenham Heathway Station", "XX is at Dagenham East Station". The worst thing was people were commenting on them saying "Y u ther luv? xx". She's on a train CLEARLY!

What I LOVE about Facebook is the vague, attention-seeking statuses, that always go something like:
    XX is :-(
    - wots da mattah? xx
    - u alrite? xx
    - wots up? luvya xx
    The person will never reply to any of these comments however.

I go on friend-culls often, but there's one particular one I keep on there because her statuses just crack me up. "XX has two days till my day of!" "XX 2morra is my day of!", culminating in a "XX Yay day of! Guna watch a DVD and clean ma flat!". She never ever ever spells "off" correctly I've noticed.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  6. Dr Lecter

Dr Lecter HAS BEEN

The only one that amused me was

"x is on the shitter"

Aside from that I hate it, statuses about nothing, people still putting lol after everything clearly cos they have nothing else to say, constant quotes from The Inbetweeners, and people who insist on writing in text speak. I mean why can't people write "cool" instead of "kewl" or " I have no muni" - FUCK OFF

7. Dr Lecter

Dr Lecter HAS BEEN

Oh and I love seeing people from school my age or younger who look fucking horrendous now.

8. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

iv decided im gon2 ryt lyk dis on moopy from now on

i mite even spel it mupi

9. Tischlampe

Tischlampe 'alooooo

Thing is, people say they type lyk dis because it's 'quicker', but I find it requires more effort.
    It's certainly more effort to read it.

10. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

I hate when it tells you what friends of yours have said on the walls/photos of people who aren't your friends. Don't care, fuck off.

11. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

It's been said before, but I'll say it again, I HATE the games, I don't give a fuck about your stupid virtual stuffed peppers or cows.

12. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

Yeah,and fat

13. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

I think it's all a BIT SHIT, really thesedays.

Maybe it helps if you like people more than i do, but i simply do not care about the minutiae of folk's lives*. I also think it's quite a stunted, showy way to contact people as well. When you post on someone's wall it's often as much for other people as the person you're talking to, isn't it? Although the big group messages are amazing because they're just like a messageboard thread.

A few of my mates have ditched it and i got tempted a while back, but then there is the odd event or life development of people you don't have any other contact with that you could then miss out on totally.

*apparently this makes me a bit of a sociopath :(

14. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I absolutely hated Farmville and equivalent games clogging up my feed, but they seem to have been phased out now.

I second the hate for self-pitying/attention seeking statuses, especially ones aimed at individuals but aired in public.

And people who are obsessed with their UGLY BABIES.

15. Tischlampe

Tischlampe 'alooooo

I think it's good to have a Facebook account just to keep up with peoples' pictures, and to keep up with genuine friends, but I don't use it half as much as I used to. That said, I do still go on it everyday as it's pretty much embedded in my daily routine now (God, that sounds so sad written down!). I normally talk to people on there in private messages because of that very reason TurnerPrize. I have a few foreign friends, so facebook is best for that I find.

16. delirium

Oh I have to say I ADORE Facebook.

I think it's mainly because I only have real friends on there. I do actually cull friends of friends (the kind who insist on adding you after one night out) without a moment's regret. So it's only ever a list of what my real friends are up to.

It's lovely considering all my friends aren't local to me right now. At any point, most of my friends aren't with me so knowing what they are doing is genuinely heartwarming. Plus I *heart* the abuse I receive all the time.

The other thing that DOES do my head in though is when you send someone an e-mail or ask a question, then you know they've been on-line (status has been updated or whatever) and they haven't replied :evil:

17. funky

funky INCAPABLE

question: you have to turn this places thing ON right?

It's not like one of those apps that is added automatically and you are expected to DISABLE it if GOD FORBID and for some INCREDIBLY ODD REASON you might actually not WANT people to know personal things about you

that's what I fucking hate about facebook

STOP CHANGING THE PRIVACY SETTINGS

Everything should be set to "totally private" and you have to 'release' the things you are OK for other people to see - not the other way around

18. delirium

I think the update automatically gets added to your apps on iPhone but you have to go in to use it

19. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I LOVE facebook for photos, keeping in contact with people and arranging things.

I HATE it for the new places rubbish. So and so is in a restaurant. I DON'T FUCKING CARE. Oh and all people who change their names to John 'Gleek' Smith get an instant delete.
    I don't get the text speak either, but I have a few intelligent and lovely friends that use it. I have absolutely no idea why!

20. funky

funky INCAPABLE

my dad uses text speak and even my mum who is MRS ENGLISH HERSELF uses it every now and again. I think they think that it's the proper way to do it and the kids will mock them if they don't partake in the proper manner of texting.

I call them on it ALL THE TIME.

21. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

I rarely use it now. In fact I seem to be leaving most of my usual haunts now.

22. Ag

Ag User

I actually use the games *ahem*. But only ever one at a time and only ever to fill in the hours in the absence of a book, a good Moopy row or TV (I don't have a TV anymore). I never EVER put them on my wall. EVER.

I've quite enjoyed re-igniting friendships with people from my past via the medium of facebook. It always amuses me seeing people on my facebook that have never met interacting over a status of mine...

23. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Yeah, yeah, it's cool to hate it at the moment but I like Facebook. It is fantastic for staying in touch with people on a casual basis and getting to know people you've only recently met. I can't understand the complaints about Farmville/photo tagging/etc. as all those things can be turned off - I haven't seen a Farmville update for months now. The Places thing doesn't bother me at all either - it's just an automated version of a status update. What's the big deal?

Everyone looking forward to Facebook The Movie this autumn then? Apparently, the CEO gets ANNIHILATED in it :D

I don't really have anyone who text speaks - it must be a generational thing (though WTF at Funky's parents!). The whole LOL thing gets right on my nancy though. It's just so utterly BRAINDEAD. I've only got 1 or 2 people in my list who use it though and I do have to turn a blind eye to it.

24. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

Something I hate or actually don't really understand is people adding me and then removing me. I had that happen with a couple of old uni/school friends, I was dreading the idea of having to accept their invites, only to find out that they're no longer on my list a few weeks later.

25. funky

funky INCAPABLE

:(

don't leave us wiiiiiiiiiiiiiidget

26. VoR

I had an embarassing crossover a few weeks ago when a psychotic (thankfully distant!) real life friend had a MASSIVE GO at Lolly over a silly status update I did about Paul Weller of all people.

That was WEIRD.

27. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I bet it doesn't beat the time when Eileen wrote an essay disecting the insecurites and middle-aged paranoia of my AUNTIE

28. VoR

:D

I try to keep family to a minimum. I only recently relented and added my brothers.

29. Frozen

Frozen I Play The Streetlife

I had something like that a few months back between Lee and a (relatively normal) real life friend over Lost, twas very strange

30. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Oh I love comedy crossovers.
    My housemate posted this as his status a few days ago:

XXXX Can someone remind me why we are all paying for the head of the worlds largest paedophile ring to come and visit?

And he got a reply from one of his old school friends saying:
    Is that just a nasty snap because he wont accept gay marriages. id love to know where you get your facts from, because last time i checked the statistics prove that a child is 100 times more likely to suffer abuse in secular institutions than a catholic one. i hope the Pope does not hold back in preaching what is right and wrong during his visit.

Cue 20 replies from angry gays! :D

31. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

I love a retarded attention-seeking status. And I love it even more when people air their grievances in public. It's voyeurism taken to a HIGH ART.

I particularly love the statuses of my first (and ONLY) girlfriend. I used to have one in my signature: 'Yeah I'm pregnant yeah its my forth if u dnt like it jog da fck on and stay out off my life". Thankfully ONLY ONE IS MINE :basil:

32. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Oh, no family EVAH. There's no way I'm adding my sisters and I keep ignoring my Mum's questions about what Facebook actually is :D

One of my friends is a genuine cockney GEEZER and his Mum is forever commenting on his pictures in the most hilarious yet terrifying manner. A quick glance at her profile threw up some brilliant photo albums like "CAMP-AS-FUCK CAT!!!!!" featuring a cat playing with tinsel and "FUCKING ABOUT WITH THE KIDS" featuring her grandkids. Fabulous!

33. VoR

I've LONG wondered where that came from! I assumed Jeremy Kyle or something. How fabulous! :D

34. delirium

I will never add my parents, and I've told them as much!

35. VoR

I added a couple of cousins who I haven't seen in years, which led to an embarassing conversation with my mum. "Mary and Katie say you're hilarious on facebook, but they don't quite understand your obsession with Dannii Minogue..."

36. ameraal

ameraal trash

i think this is why i stopped taking my picture altogether on the whole

i love:
    - events, particularly birthdays which i always forget
    - i have a lot of friends with very different tastes and interests and there's always some great find musical or other
    - keeping track of friends that are far away or that i just don't have time for
    - the new update that groups together actions under a single post and lists them together in the updates thingy
    - saving time getting to know people who i thought were interesting before reading 2 of their status updates revealing them to be utter morons

i hate:
    - the privacy issues
    - people i know off work adding me
    - people tagging photos of you looking your absolute worst
    - not giving people a chance based on a couple of status updates
    - there's a young generation of gays here who's only purpose in life it seems is to make an arty photo shoot of themselves, photoshop themselves beyond recgonition and post it on fb. vile

i think i've pretty much hidden or blocked everything else

37. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Just change the settings so photos you're tagged in don't show up to your friends - then you don't have to worry about being tagged and looking CRAP.

38. Mats

Mats User

I think they should just introduce an option to prevent tagging altogether

39. ameraal

ameraal trash

i have limited this to a group of people that aren't very close to me or work related, but i don't mind keeping them visible to my closer friends
    you used to be able to authorize tags, that's no more right?

40. Ag

Ag User

Lee is quite adept as this. I had to delete him...