What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

Discussion in 'The Classics - Films' started by Mr Betty Draper, Jan 22, 2008.

?

Out of ten?

1. 10

52.2%
  2. 9

21.7%
  3. 8

17.4%
  4. 7

8.7%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. VIVA BETTE.

[​IMG]

2. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Fucking AMAZING film. Again, I couldn't quite bring myself to give it ten- it does sag a bit in the middle perhaps, but the strength of the performances (even Joan!) see it through

But yer ARE in that chair, Blanche, yer ARE...

3. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Same as Sheena. Amazing but the stuff with the piano teacher in the middle drags things out a tad. We don't care about HIM, get back to Bette and Joan!

4. SDF

SDF We're all Angles in Chainz

Even though it is not quite Bette's best performance (I actually prefer her in Hush... Hush, Jezebel and Mr Skeffington, to name a few), this was the one that really made me such a big fan of hers. I actually think Joan is sensational in this film, and gives the performance of her life. You really feel a sense of hatred between the characters, which of course has been documented to a great degree in biography's of the two actresses. It is all a bit camp, but it doesn't necessarily draw away from the movie for me. The scenes of entrapment are done to such a great degree that you really get a sense that Joan really is petrified. Again, rumour has it that it wasn't all acting and to some degree that is probably why she does give such an amazing performance. Whilst not Bette's finest hour, like always she nails the character and this film for me is everything that a film should be. To give this less than a 10/10, would be such an injustice to a wonderfully dynamic and at times brutal movie.

5. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

It probably IS a good film, but it's been SPOILED for me by UNNECESSARY DRAMATIC RECONSTRUCTIONS by FLAMING QUEENS who shall remain NAMELESS

6. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

7. loomer

loomer User

Clearly nowhere near as good as All About Eve, great as it is

8. JET BOY

JET BOY PERVERSE

If any other gays aside from myself want to watch this film, but don't have the DVD/can't be arsed to pay for the DVD then you will be pleased to know that you can now see the whole film on youtube which is handy.

I wish somebody would upload Death Becomes Her also :evil:

9. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

Oh I will have to watch it on youtube then, one day.

10. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

you didn't eat your DIN DIN

What a MAGNIFICENT film. Thanks to everpres's tip I watched the film on youtube and loved it. The contrast in character between Bette and Joan is great, you can tell Bette let it rip while Joan was especially subtle in most parts of the film. Bette really stole the film in my opinion, she really was CHILLING, and I got very nervous every time she arrived home before Joan (or the cleaning lady) predicted. That poor cleaning lady, she NEVER STOOD A CHANCE next to Bette. While I do agree the piano player parts aren't anywhere up to par with the rest of the movie and the interaction between Bette and Joan it doesn't really slow down the movie for me, as the scenes seemed to move pretty swiftly for the most part. The ending was DECENT, I imagine there were quite a number of other possible endings, it was interesting on the note they ended it on, I suppose. I'll give it that.

And I had no idea that Bette and Joan had a real life 'beef' before watching the movie, which I think makes it all a bit more interesting. Either way IMO this is one of the few films where the acting was truly great ALL AROUND, even down to the minor characters.

A definite ten from me.

11. Suedey

Suedey Run Away With Me

BETTE DAVIS
    WE LOVE YOU

12. Suedey

Suedey Run Away With Me

By the way the 2-DVD edition which is nearly always on the cheap is definitely worth it. It comes with some nice extras and a brilliant docco on their feud. Of course if you've read the book there's little you don't know but I like oldschool Hollywood style doccos.

13. loomer

loomer User

I don't think I could watch a film on youtube. I usually watch things on it in full quality - i.e. with the matchbox screen, it gets all pixilated if you make it full screen.

Then again, it might not be so bad cause it'll doubtless be a DVD rip.

If you hooked your PC up to your TV screen it would be good.. I've seen some hooked up to 42 inch HD TVs and it looks amazing.

14. Sebastian Flyte

Sebastian Flyte Ho hum

Absolutely 10/10.

15. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

It didn't look bad on youtube..so I suspect it was a DVD rip..I'm not a big fan of sitting in front of my computer to watch a 2 hour+ film but this definitely kept my interest and moved along well.

16. loomer

loomer User

It's so drawn out though, the suspense is near unbearable!

In a similar vein, I would recommend All About Eve, that's the La Bette classic, if not quite as iconic in the drag/gay scene.

17. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I watched this again last night. Still amazing, obviously. But I can never not think of the AMAZING French & Saunders spoof.

"Have you seen the latest things I can do with my FULLY WORKABLE LEGS?"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wWK-NrAS000&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wWK-NrAS000&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  18. cwej

cwej User

Margo Channing is BLATANTLY as iconic if not MORE than Baby Jane Hudson.

19. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

YES

20. Sheena

Hmmm, Id like to agree but not sure I can...I think a lot more of the public at large know Baby Jane more than they would Margo

I MUCH prefer Margo, of course...

21. cwej

cwej User

I'm talking in the gay world... both are big gay icons, but I think the character of Margo is just the epitome of gay icon. The grotesque of Jane is more an acquired taste whereas the genuine bitchery and coolness of Margo is what most drag queens model their behaviour on in every gay club in the world.

22. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

I don't think anyone has to build an ACQUIRED taste for Jane, she's just an endlessly fascinating character.

23. Sheena

Oh true...absolutely so

But I still wager that more gay men have heard of Jane than Margo...which may be irrelevant. I can't quite decide...

24. vespertine

vespertine In the name of love

It's great.

25. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

"But ya ARE Blanche. YA ARE." :disco: One of the most iconic sentences in film history.

Suedey likes this.
  26. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I can't believe I've never seen this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27. straightorbroken

straightorbroken reflected onto the wet pavement

It's definitely a Davis tour de force. The look of it is still so startling and lurid, it's shot beautifully. High class trash and then some. I wonder just how many ageing actresses got work out of this being so successful (although the gruesome fascination of female ageing has-beens was nothing new for Hollywood of course).

28. straightorbroken

straightorbroken reflected onto the wet pavement

I actually think that Death Becomes Her was a modern re-imagining of sorts with Mad and Hell loosely based on the imagery and personas of Lana Turner and Rita Hayworth instead.

29. Commotion

Commotion User

Just seen this for the first time in 20 years.

Absolutely epic film. Davis is brilliant and Joan almost as good.