What is the best Agnetha compilation?

Discussion in 'ABBA' started by VoR, Jun 16, 2013.

1. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I only own My Colouring Book and A. I get the impression that her 80s work is largely QUITE POOR with the odd highlight. I'm aware she also has an extensive Swedish catalogue.

Of her many, many compilations, which is the best entry point?

2. Ag

Ag User

3. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

This would probably be the one I'd go for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Very_Best

It has a good mix of her pre-ABBA (and early ABBA) Swedish stuff and then the post-ABBA English stuff and avoids the b-sides and whatnot that were on That's Me. I'm quite partial to a lot of her 80's output though, none of the albums are great in their own right, but there's still a decent number of gems out there. Most of that is covered on My Very Best.

4. Ag

Ag User

With the new album, one day she might pull out the bag her first poor compilation, instead of really terrible.

5. VoR

Obviously I have NO NEED of the ABBA tracks.

My Very Best looks good.

Based on my LIMITED knowledge, my favourite pre-00s solo Agnetha tracks are:

1. I Won't Let You Go
    2. Wrap Your Arms Around Me
    3. SOS (Swedish)

END

6. VoR

God love her, but she really has had an EASY RIDE based on the fact that she's prettier and sang lead on the more iconic hits.

Frida has had a FAR MORE FRUITFUL solo career. I could easily do a top ten based on Frida Ensam, Djupa Andetag and I Know There's Something Going On ALONE.

7. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

I have no idea what the general feeling is regarding it, but I Wasn't The One (Who Said Goodbye) is the only notable omission from My Very Best for me, at least of her 80's putput

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w4ckLLSgkvs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Ag

Ag User

I Know There's Something Going On the song beats ALL pre-00s Agnetha.

9. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I'd go for 'My Very Best'.

I agree on Frida's solo output being far more interesting than Agnetha's. Although I'm not fond of either of their '80s stuff on the whole, bar the title tracks from both first post Abba albums. And although it's no 'Ensam', Agnetha's 'Elva Kvinnor I Ett Hus' is a really very good album, although the concept (of it being the stories of different women living in the same house) wasn't fully realised. It also includes the Swedish version of 'Disillusion' ('Mina ögon').

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  10. lolly

That said though, I do think on her solo output you do get to see a bit more variety from her vocally on her Swedish stuff. With Abba, she seemed to use mainly the plaintive 'The Winner Takes It All' style, or a pretty much straightforward upbeat pop vocal. When singing on her own, anyway. I don't think she ever sounded as SEXY as she does on 'Wrap Your Arms Around Me', as breathless and coy as she does on 'Doktorn!', or the childlike vocal of 'Gulleplutt'.

I guess B&B knew the strength of what they had, but it's interesting to see that when she wrote for herself, she pushed herself in other directions.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  11. lolly

New 'This Is' playlist on Spotify

12. Rita

Rita User

VoR ruined Moopy is my current fave.