What should Christina Aguilera do next?

Discussion in 'Divas' started by POP!, Nov 21, 2012.

?

What's next for X-Tina?

1. Go back to being conceptual, artistic integrity is most important

23.5%
  2. Another big name collaboration a la Maroon 5

47.1%
  3. Another film/soundtrack, Burlesque O.S.T. did outsell Bionic...

17.6%
  4. Residency in Vegas a la Celine or Shania

29.4%
  5. Focus on The Voice and other TV work, she's a personality artist

32.4%
  6. Cover albums, jazz, AC friendly albums to dish out each Xmas

14.7%
  7. Go back to basics - aka get some vocal training to improve the damage on her vox

58.8%
  8. Stick to songwriting, behind the scenes musical stuff

11.8%
  9. Other: please specify

20.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. POP!

POP! Across that county line

I start this thread as a fan of Lotus and Christina in general but unlike Bionic I'm left feeling a little let down/confused by its disastrous opening (#7 in the States, #28 in the UK) especially after Christina mastered one of the best teen to adult pop star transitions we've ever seen with Stripped. Not to mention, Lotus is a much more "accessible" and commercial effort than Bionic which felt a bit out of touch in comparison.

With all of this in mind and being a judge on one of the highest rated TV shows on air right now, I am not sure there's much of a possibility to reverse this case of diminishing returns. She pretty much has everything at her disposal, just something isn't connecting anymore.

She really does need that obligatory comeback though to cement herself to Legend(tina) status or else she'll be another Toni Braxton. After that she can flop all she wants because she'll have paid her dues.

2. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I came in here to tag the topic with 'Kill herself' but I see I was beaten to it :D

In reality, I think she should dye her hair a less brash shade of blonde, lay off the fake bake and record a more adult contemporary album. It'd fit with the branding of The Voice and probably sell a lot better than her recent efforts have.

3. POP!

A poll is now added. :david:

I think she should stick to her own guns - even if she's often VERY hit and miss when she does. As much of an improvement as Lotus was on Bionic it is missing a bit of that X-Tina spark that separates her from her contemporaries. If she takes a few years off music, stays visible on The Voice or other TV-related ventures, takes some vocal training, I think she'll be good. I think that will be better for her in the long term than simply catering to current trends when pop radio isn't biting regardless.

Obviously "Just a Fool" is worth pushing big time, I just hope it leads to something bigger for her and the album.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  4. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

She needs some good songs, that's all. She's not had one since the Back To Basics era.

5. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

She's had good songs, they've just been aimed at a market that doesn't want much to do with her anymore. Aiming for AC is probably the next best move.

6. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

Time to make sure LET THIS FEELING gets a proper push.

That's the kind of stuff people are lapping up.

7. Jark

Jark User

Oh please.

The main problem she has is that she has no clear identity I think. The label tampering with Bionic made it into a MESS and Lotus (despite being rather good) is mostly full of songs which could be sung by anybody. I wouldn't mind another jazzy album, her voice really excels on those kinds of productions. She definitely needs vocal coaching too to get rid of some of her bad habits. Personally I think she has a comeback in her but then I am a blind STAN

8. POP!

"Let There Be Love" should, in theory, be a multi-week, transatlantic #1 but pop radio really seems to have grown averse to her so it makes sense to try something else like "Just a Fool".

9. straightorbroken

straightorbroken from the sound of sirens

I disagree about the tan. The caked make-up has been very good (Christina not RB), smothering that bloated face into a smooth, contoured trailer park barbie cannot be easy.

I think she missed her mark not promoting Your Body with performances. She is a tabloid star, but as a pop act needs to almost start from scratch in terms of what she's willing to do to promote. It's as if she barely tried (although giving us two The Voice performances and one more at the AMAs was a belated improvement).

She just needs to forge ahead and operate at whatever level necessary - she cannot always demand to be the number one selling star and abandon the project after the album flops in the first month.

It looks as if Just A Fool is going to help her out a tad, so it's far from over, we haven't seen the last of her, etc.

TV work would be good - acting in a show that appeals to her audience (Revenge?, whether it be carrying it or just making a cameo wouldn't be a bad idea.

10. Dinlo

Dinlo Gypsy Princess

I just came for VoR's opinion. What fun he must have had with the tags :D

I think she's pretty much OVER as a successful pop star, and has been for quite a while. Still, she does have good name recognition and the bitch CAN sing, so I wouldn't count out a few more hits in the future, just not the kind of dance-pop she launched this campaign wth. Cuz let's face it, the average 12 year-old consumer couldn't give a FUCK.

11. Devil

Devil I Need A House

I had the 'pleasure' of this (and half the album) being played to me in the weekend by my loon-friend who loves her. I was actually hoping to like this in a 'she's not THAT bad' kind of way, but it was nothing above a 5/10. The music etc was absolutely fine, but her vocal simply does not translate to that kind of song. It would be ten times better with a LESS competent vocalist on it.

I think the main issue with her (aside from being a cunt, and although some fans claim it makes her 'fabulous' or whatever, the bottom line is no one truly likes a cunt) is that she simply isn't relevant, and it's because she isn't aware of what her target audience (teens and gays) are after. Rather than following the crowd (ie: Bionic, Your Body), a crowd which does it so much better than her, stick to what you do best (see 'Stripped') and develop that sound. We already have a Lady Gaga/Pick any Max-Martin puppet, so don't chase that market.

And for gods sake maybe try and be nice for five minutes and you won't repulse so many people.

12. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

Provoke North Korea is my favourite one :D

13. Dinlo

Dinlo Gypsy Princess

I'm partial to 'take the black' :D

14. Kratz

Kratz Pearl in the shell.

Give the mermaid her voice back

15. POP!

I don't think whether or not she's considered "relevant" is impeding this campaign. It flopped in both America where she's one of the most visible entertainers right now because of The Voice as well everywhere else where she's a much smaller name in 2012. But still she's hardly a Jessica Simpson where people instantly think of 2004 whenever she's mentioned. She's just not really bringing anything new to the table, as you mention. Being a generic pop dolly works for Britney right now because still has a place on pop radio and seems to have more goodwill built up towards her because of the breakdown and subsequent "comeback" period. But Christina, someone who's known to have a great deal of agency in her music/direction and a voice/songwriting talent to back it up, is someone that thrives on being a bit different or an alternative to your average pop tart.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  16. Satan

Satan Likes his boys insane

THIS! It's by far her biggest problem. Let's face it being a repulsive cunt only scores positive points with a minority. And like someone else said she's after the wrong audience. I want the VMAs Hurt Xtina back.

17. Jark

Jark User

I don't think the public at large consider Christina to be a cunt. The Voice has really done her image a lot of good and she's been very well behaved this year.

18. POP!

If she's still able to get these high profile gigs and appearances and big name producers , I'm not sure that her cunty rep matters much.

19. Jark

Jark User

Nicki Minaj is a MASSIVE CUNT and she sells plenty!

20. Jark

Jark User

I notice 'lose weight' was not an option

I really do think that's her other main problem right now. Although I think she looks great at her current size, being 'fat' seems to have made her into something of a laughing stock in the press etc, and when she's trying to sell pop songs with hypersexual lyrics, not being slim and 'sexy' is a pretty big stumbling block. It doesn't help that she used to be downright SKINNY, especially during Back to Basics, so now by comparison she seems like she's the size of Luxembourg.

21. POP!

Surprisingly I haven't seen much negative/critical press about it as Jessica, Gaga etc.

And she was skinny during the Bionic promo and that didn't salvage anything. But cleaning up her image or at least making any effort to look presentable instead of the trucker hats, leggings, biker jackets etc would make a difference because she just doesn't look like a pop megastar.

She looked great here on S2 of The Voice, not more than 10lbs lighter than she is now but just polished/ready for primetime etc

[​IMG] [​IMG]

22. Devil

Devil I Need A House

But if she is so in control of her musical direction, why isn't she pursuing that? 'Keeps Getting Better', 'Not Myself Tonight' and 'Your Body' are all run-of-the-mill, chasing the crowd (but about two years later) attempts at getting back into the mainstream. Like yes, I hate the bitch, but from a completely objective point of view I don't understand why she has spent the past 3-4 years raving about how she's so forward thinking and is on a whole different level of pop to her rivals, yet she releases watered down versions of their 'kind' of music. 'Stripped' is the perfect example of doing something far more fitting and completely owning it.

23. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

This really.
    I know it's easier said than done, but launching with 'Your Body' was silly (not that there is a lot better on the album). She just needs a 'We Fell In Love'/'Diamonds'/'Firework'/Generic but stomping pop hit.

24. Satan

Satan Likes his boys insane

She looked great on those photos. Right now she's like a cross between her old self and Cicciolina. I'm not gonna pick on her weight, my main issue image wise is the hair, tan and unflattering clothing. I also agree that her "commercial" attemps at sucess could have been much better. NMT and YB are only 13/10 max tracks in the loon department and while I like both, their relative flops didn't really strick me as totally unfair or unexpected.

25. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

The songs really ARE the major problem. Stripped is one of my favourite albums ever, there was plenty I loved on Back To Basics but she totally lost me after that by releasing absolute SHIT. None of her subsequent lead singles have been anything approaching good enough to hook me back in and cursory listens to the albums have not revealed any lost smashes.

I find it absolutely baffling that the woman who gave us Stripped has not made an album even as 100th as good since. If she hadn't pissed all over her legacy, that would have been regarded as an all time classic.

26. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I think the fact she looks like a fucking STATE doesn't help, I don't think I have EVER seen her look as bad as at the AMAs earlier this week. It's not even the larger figure, it was the wig, the make up, the dress...

Music wise, I don't think her stuff has been THAT bad, it's just not exciting and people are just not that bothered any more. I'm not even sure being on these shows such as The Voice, X Factor, Idol etc does anything at all for your career - in the UK, Dannii had her biggest flop EVER with a song while she was on X Factor.

27. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

At this point, she really needs the stars to align for her. And, more than anything, she needs a We Belong Together. Not just a big hit, but a COMEBACK SONG. A song capable of resurrecting what is effectively a dead music career.

28. funky

funky INCAPABLE

at this point I don't think Christina is capable of a WBT. She needs a massive shift in direction and approach for that to happen. She doesn't seem to have the ability to carve her own sound anymore - I think she was frightened off by the relatively shaky response to the Back To Basics concept album that she felt would mark her sound going forward, following the massive success of Stripped, and she's been chasing the pack ever since. Ironically, B2B was far more of a success than anything that has come since.

The music she seems to have a real interest in - jazzy 90s R&B, torchlight ballads - is when she comes alive on record, but unfortunately those sounds just aren't translating with the mass public at the moment. Without much else to go on and with little imagination she's forced to default to eurodance which does. not. suit. her. at. all. People just aren't buying it, and the albums are a misguided mess.

Then again, I don't think Mariah has produced a masterpiece since Butterfly, and she has managed numerous temporary comebacks on the back of a BIG SONG. So it is possible.

Christina needs a reboot, and fast.

29. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I really do think there's an element of meeting the same people on the way down as you did on the way up, as well.

There's so many stories of her being rude and dismissive to industry people. Your Body probably could have been a hit for somebody else, but she needed a certain amount of goodwill and she generates none. Maybe the public at large haven't cottoned on, but in the music business I can't imagine there is any appetite for her to have any kind of phoenix from the ashes moment, compared to Mariah whose comeback really was seen as a bit of a homecoming.

30. Loufoque

The industry doesn't seem to hate her though. The fact that she can command a $10m fee for The Voice shows that much...

31. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I think Your Body could have been massive for someone else as well. It's the sort of standard noise people love at the moment. Christina's voice just doesn't suit that sound though.

Some people on here may not like it but she's a black music artist. When she tries to do pop, it doesn't fucking work. Even her first album was dinstinctly soulful, even if the production was watered down for the masses.

The only time she manages pop is the torchlight ballads. She does them VERY well because she's a very emotive, dramatic singer. But give her a dance beat or something and it all falls apart.

32. VoR

That's different though. She's a big name and a controversial figure. TV execs love that shit, it's ratings gold. But heavily supporting a new record from a woman who hasn't had a hit in nigh-on-a-decade and may well have come into your studio and treated you like shit back in the day? I imagine a lot of radio programmers were more than happy to say FUCK YOU.

33. VoR

EXAMPLE

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  34. Loufoque

People said the same about Mariah between 2001-04. "She can't find a sound that translates in the 21st century".

I believe that TEOM was a moment where the stars aligned. The arrival of Benny Medina in her professional life cannot be overstated. She needed a svengali to guide her back to what she did best, AND what the public wanted from her. She needed someone to overhaul her image - to move her away from the trashy casual style towards a more ghetto-glamour look. She needed the support of radio, who had, to all intents and purposes, deserted her as early as 1998.

Christina's problem is that she's too arrogant to put her career into someone else's hands. She's too arrogant to allow her image to be moulded into something more palatable. And, as VoR says, there may be an element of schadenfreude at play in particular corners of the industry.

In short, she needs to hand over control to someone who knows what they're doing AND get very lucky, at the same time.

35. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

Apart from uber-CUNT Rihanna who seems to SHIT out hits in every direction, every artist goes through a lull period though - Madonna, Mariah, Whitney, Britney, all went through a period where their star didn't shine so bright. I don't think all is lost for Christina but I think she does need to change direction, she's not 21 anymore and unlike Britney who was always seen as a pop star rather than an actual credible musician, Christina did actually surpass the teen pop tag when Stripped came out. I think she just needs to grow up music wise, and not give us music thaty could be sung by an 18 year old.

36. Loufoque

I disagree. She's probably the most effective crossover artist of her generation. She can sing R&B, but she works just as well on out-and-out pop, torch ballads, and even rock. Her vocal chords may be damaged, but her voice still has an innate ability to cross genres with ease.

37. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

I was going to write an amusing tag but i don't think i could beat those :D

38. Jark

Jark User

I would love her to put aside her beef with Scott Storch and see if they could come up with magic again.

39. funky

funky INCAPABLE

Lou, she's never so much as touched a rock song, let's be honest.

"Fighter" was an R&B track with electric guitar riffs. It was En Vogue without the harmonies.

She's an R&B singer who tries her hand with different sounds. It worked a lot in the early days, it works less so now.

I give you the torch ballads, like I said. That's where she owns it. Unfortunately, nobody (aside from a few of us gays) gives a shit about that right now. Look at poor Leona.

40. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

This is especially delicious in light of her recent MEGAFLOP status