Whatevar's Sugababes Top 50

Discussion in 'Moopy Lists' started by Whatevar, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

*RESERVED*

Going to try and do this tonight.

I'm not doing comments unless I really feel the need - no one reads them anyway. Hopefully the positions of various songs will trigger some conversation.

2. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

Get Sexy
    Sweet 7
    (Sugababes 3.0)

[​IMG]

What a pile of shit. Why do I even own this? Talk about losing track of your roots.

Highest chart position: #2

Watch:
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/xIHzr4G1FPw?hl=en_GB&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/xIHzr4G1FPw?hl=en_GB&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

3. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

Gotta Be You
    Taller In More Ways
    (Sugababes 2.0)

The Mutya version - obviously. Thank goodness they never released this as a single.

Listen:
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/GhLpXI4N6Go?hl=en_GB&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/GhLpXI4N6Go?hl=en_GB&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

4. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I like that the screencap used for that video makes it look like Heidi's been possessed.

5. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

YAY for SUMMER HOLS!

6. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

Real Thing
    One Touch
    (Sugababes 1.0)

I do like this but sometimes I skip it because it's all a bit fluffy nowadays. Still has its moments of charm though - the harmonies are gorgeous.

Listen:
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/p6iNE_ULfcw?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/p6iNE_ULfcw?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  7. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

UM NO

I need comments and I need bullet points talking about voxual peaks and troughs. I need it all.

8. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Seconded. Comments please.

Not much to see so far. I like Real Thing but it's not a highlight of that album.

9. VoR

Will this include solo works?

10. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

Sometimes
    Three
    (Sugababes 2.0)

The inclusion of Heidi's solo moment might surprise those of you who know I generally despise her vocals. She sounds fine on most of this (though there is still the odd moment where she sounds like she's being drowned). Luckily Keisha steps in the rescue the middle-8. A bit like Xtina's "Walk Away" but less amazing.

Listen:
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/6L7AfakeUHk?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/6L7AfakeUHk?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

11. straightorbroken

straightorbroken Trust the Duchess

The intro to Real Thing is all I need to hear really. Oh, and calling for some "Shi-VON" :disco:

12. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

No, I've got enough material to work with. I do have their solo stuff though. Maybe I'll do a POP UP SOLO RUN DOWN MOMENT.

13. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

I have added a TOKEN SENTENCE to each one.

I will try and comment on vox but it might just turn into me LAYING INTO HEIDI.

14. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

Oh I love Sometimes and I generally have NO TIME for Ms Range

It's very very good and it made it onto my 'Sugababes' - quotation marks intentional - playlist (the best of non-1.0 which only has 18 songs thank you)

15. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

In The Middle
    Three
    (Sugababes 2.0)

[​IMG]

I bet Mutya was mortified about this. Seemed to be a step back for them in terms of single releases, but did the job of keeping the album campaign going I suppose. I enjoyed dancing to it at clubs in my younger days. Apparently this received a BRIT nomination for Best British Single!? NO.

Amazing quote from DS: Keisha Buchanan, another member of the Sugababes, told Digital Spy that she wrote 90% of the song :D but could not comprehend the meaning of the lyrics: "I think it's because as I've got older I don't really relate to the lyrics. It was more of a fun song but I just don't really feel that attached to it any more."

Highest chart position: #8

Watch:
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/rnHVIuBlAUo?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/rnHVIuBlAUo?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

16. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

HATE that shit

The US-aimed video is funny though.

17. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

OMG let's compare your Top 18 with mine later onzzzzzzzz

18. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

I can't find this.

19. VoR

Loving this revisionist history that Mutya ever had any standards. :D

She probably rolled in 3 hours late for the video shoot, mimed her bits, sank a few stubbies and said THANKS FOR THE GIG.

20. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

You just posted it love :bruised:

21. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

OH MY GOD LISTEN TO THIS

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bW_575fcKgM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Skip to Siobhan's bit. (2:48)

!!!!! :D:D:D

"You go girl" *immediate death stare*

22. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

Denial
    Change
    (Sugababes 3.0)

[​IMG]

V V Brown wrote "Denial" for the band while she was on London Underground's Victoria line, and attempted to "get into their mindsets" in the process. Brown described its transferral to the band as "validation that I'd truly found who I am in both territories as a song writer, as a producer, as a writer and as an artist".

What a CUNT.

The bridge and chorus are the only bits worth listening to, mainly for the lovely rich harmonies. The verses, however, are absolute TRIPE. Heidi, amazingly, manages NOT to ruin a middle-8 for once in her life. Don't think I've EVER seen this rather stupid video before, which says it all really.

Highest chart position: #15

Watch:
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/yYtIWpcNUkM?hl=en_GB&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/yYtIWpcNUkM?hl=en_GB&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

23. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

I just meant that it was all a bit POP for GRITTY OLD MUTYA.

24. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

OH I SEE, I thought you meant that a US video had been shot.

25. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

FUCKING HELL WHAT IS SHE DOING?!?!

Why do people keep calling it "Siobhan's bit"? Is it just an in-joke or was she originally intended to record that part? Cos I thought Heidi wrote it.

26. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

Oh no it's Heidi's bit, I just called it Siobhan's because she has REDEFINED it. Hoo-hoo-hoooooooooo!

27. Pipo

Pipo i feel like i am the Paris of people

Heidi gets a lot fo stick. It's NOT funny. She was a Sugababes longer for what Shivonne was and she brought the hits home :Oi:

28. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

Forever
    B-side to New Year
    (Sugababes 1.0)

Very beautiful little ballad. And that's all I have to say.

Listen:
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/eI0BKlR44yE?hl=en_GB&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/eI0BKlR44yE?hl=en_GB&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

29. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

HA :D

30. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

GET OUT :Oi:

31. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

It's not very good is it? Tries to phrase it the way it's sung on the recorded version but NO CONTROL whatever. A 3 note warble and not even on time. Shame on you, Heidi NoRange.

32. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

Just Let It Go
    One Touch
    (Sugababes 1.0)

Craig David production values aside, this is a somewhat amazing album track given the age of the girls at the time. Weren't they, like, 13 when they wrote this? The vocals are ON POINT from all three girls. A bit of a forgotten gem, I think, but perhaps a bit over-long at around 5 minutes. Should probably be higher.

Listen:
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/3JO2iGMkaDk?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/3JO2iGMkaDk?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

33. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

No, it's AWFUL. And I don't think she sounds much better on the record, to be FRANK.

34. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

The Top 13 should really be all the songs from One Touch plus Caught In A Moment

35. Pipo

Pipo i feel like i am the Paris of people

MAKE ME YOU HOT STUD

36. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

That's exactly it, she doesn't!

The Heidi apologists among us should be forced to have that as their ringtone

37. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

They should have got Natasha from AK in instead

38. Kevin

Kevin Stand by for resurrection

Every time someone makes fun of Heidi, Flatline peaks 5 positions lower.

39. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

Change
    Change
    (Sugababes 3.0)

[​IMG]

I can see how this could be quite an atmospheric song, but my main problem with it is that it's so rooted to ONE BORING CHORD on the chorus that it feels like it never goes anywhere. By the time it finally shifts, for Keisha's middle-8, I've lost all interest, although the "You just have to MAKE IT THROOOOOUGH" bit is amazing. For me, "Mended By You" is the far superior ballad on the album, but more on that later...

Keisha's eyelashes in the video! :D Bizarrely, the official VEVO video cuts out at 1:42.

Highest chart position: #13

Watch:
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/r3kmW-xBdqw?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/r3kmW-xBdqw?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

40. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

Just the idea of those heaven-sent vox on stuff like Too Lost In You, About You Now and Round Round is giving me a boner.