Which of these divas still has a big hit in them?

Discussion in 'Divas' started by VoR, Jul 22, 2012.

?

Vh1 Divas Live 2013 starring Kelly Llorenna

1. Cher

26.5%
  2. Celine Dion

26.5%
  3. Kylie Minogue

75.5%
  4. Madonna

63.3%
  5. Mariah Carey

73.5%
  6. Mary J Blige

30.6%
  7. Janet Jackson

16.3%
  8. Shania Twain

18.4%
  9. None, these women are all past it

8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

As in a proper top 5, not just fanbase-driven crossover smash hit.

Obviously for Kylie the expectation should be trended down a bit given she's more of a LOCAL STAR. For the rest, Hot 100, UK charts or both.

2. The Politics Of Dancing

The Politics Of Dancing PACIFICA

Cher if she releases her collaboration with Lady Gaga.

Madonna's still possible, she still has success in certain parts of Europe. The others... never rule out a Calvin Harris or David Guetta remix / production to garner them an unexpected hit.

Mariah and Mary J if they release an R&B single with more of a pop edge.

Shania could still get a hit... look at TRAIN of all artists!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  3. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

All of them apart from Janet, I think.

4. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I suppose Shania could still have big success on the country charts, but I can't see her ever appealing to young people any more. Her sound was never particularly fashionable.

Same with Celine - who has never been much of a trend chaser. I can't see her adapting her sound enough for it to cross beyond her AC/Radio 2 audience. That said I also get the impression that she's not quite as driven as many other divas and is probably quite content with that phase of her career being over.

5. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

I could see Shania having a proper hit album at least in the States if she ever actually came out with anything new. There seems to genuinely be a lot of goodwill for her and I think country radio is more flexible with age politics.

6. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

What's GOING ON with Shania?

She's been quite clever at popping up on high profile releases (Buble, Lionel Richie) to remind people she's still exist, but it's all gone a bit quiet on the album front since that rubbish empowerment song bombed.

7. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

I suspect most of them could apart from Mary, Janet and Shania - although a US hit for Shania wouldn't be too much of a surprise. Kylie and Mariah seem like the most obvious though, with Madge, Cher and especially Celine I think it would take something quite special/the stars to align perfectly for them to have another big hit.

8. Jark

Jark bon appètit, baby

Cher - I doubt if she could get another US top 10 hit. US radio is ludicrously ageist and she's already had her big comeback phase. I think it would have to be something truly exceptional to make a decent dent in the UK too.
    Céline - could get a hit in Europe but probably not the UK. Could definitely still release a million-plus selling album.
    Kylie - I think she's got another All The Lovers in here and a platinum album if they get the release strategy right. Could even make a mild US impact if she would actually perform over there/coincide it with a tour.
    Madonna - still think she could in theory have another HUGE hit single, but whether she has the will to make great music again is quite another question.
    Mariah - US top 20, certainly, elsewhere her career seems to be dead by and large and she's already cashed in her comeback coupon.
    Mary J - depends if R&B in general recovers. She's past 40 now though so radio might be done with her.
    Janet - she's done :( unlike the others she's really done herself NO favours with regards to the sped-up downward trajectory of her album sales.
    Shania - like POP! said I can see country radio getting on board with her and out of sheer comeback curiosity she could open big with an album - much like Sade did in 2010

9. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I think Madge is the MOST likely of all of them. She just needs to release something good, that's all.

10. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

She hasn't released anything decent since Ray Of Light, so I doubt that's gonna happen...

11. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

She's doing the Vegas thing like Celine did starting in September, I believe. Which is great for her $$$$$ wise (Ka-Ching! and all that) but it probably means we will not get an album from her until 2025.

12. Jark

Jark bon appètit, baby

:rolleyes:

13. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

I think there's more goodwill towards Kylie (UK) and Mariah (US) than there is towards Madonna

14. Jark

Jark bon appètit, baby

all we ever want is MORE
    a lot more than we had BEFORE
    so take me to the nearest STORE!

:disco:

15. straightorbroken

straightorbroken reflected onto the wet pavement

Have some FAITH, they all just need an amazing song instead of more of the same. Janet is the worst offender for simply not getting it.

16. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

Faith Hill apparently has something new coming out soon. Her last album which came out in '05 or '06 did surprisingly well and sold over 2 million Stateside after Cry underperformed.

Janet's legacy is a bit lacking compared to the others mainly because she hasn't had the obligatory COMEBACK. There's been no resolve since the Superbowl incident.

17. straightorbroken

Oh Kala, loving your work so far, but how wrong can you be? MDNA alone has a clutch of outstanding moments on it, and let's just BRUSH OVER Hung Up, You Thrill Me, the airtight Confessions album in general actually, oh and MUSIC. Come ON.

18. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

I guess my best way of putting is that those are the two most capable of becoming actively relevant again (even if it's just for an album or two)

I used to think Madonna was one of the rare pop acts that could pull off a fanbase hit in the digital age but after GMAYL limped into the UK top 40 I'm not so sure.

19. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Madonna could have another hit, but she really has destroyed all the goodwill towards her to an extent perhaps only Janet could match. With Mariah and Kylie it's been more of a steady decline with no real artistic or commercial failures, just a string of disappointments and failure to properly capitalise on their enormous comebacks. I think the will is still there for them to have another hit, even if radio would be resistant. With Madonna, anything she releases over the next few years is likely to just be "Oh God, HER AGAIN" - and if she takes an extended break she's going to be past 60.

I think Cher could get some success based on the fact that she's been away for so long that anything new by her would be an "event". Radio would never play her though, unless *spits* Gaga was on board.

20. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock wo ist der party?

I think hit albums and hit singles are increasingly coming from different markets. For some of these artists, i'd suggest a hit single is truly out of reach but an album really is not. Like many, i'd say Kylie has the best chance of the lot of both. I think Shania and Celine have album potential.

Penelope likes this.
  21. Jark

Jark bon appètit, baby

I disagree with that... Feedback was a massive change in direction for her - totally contemporary, amazing production, big hook, but by then the damage was done. Discipline was also her best album since The Velvet Rope.

22. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

Damita Jo was her only album this side of the millennium that I'd really go back and listen to again and even that has a fair share of clunkers on it.

23. straightorbroken

Apart from the Peter Rohaufer remix of Just A Little and All Night, I haven't cared for anything from her.

24. Jark

Jark bon appètit, baby

The only songs I ever go back to on that are Slolove and Just a Little While. I'm willing to bet 20YO is even worse though.

25. Kalabaliken

Ok I exaggerated a bit. Confessions was alright But I'm not really a Madge fan to be honest. I don't know why. I like some of her music but I've never really been into her. I haven't even heard MDNA yet!

26. ameraal

ameraal huzzah!

post all for you janet top 10 (though in fairness i haven't heard any of the albums more than twice)

1. enjoy
    2. i want you
    3. all night
    4. r&b junkie
    5. rock with u
    6. get it out me
    7. so excited
    8. sexhibition
    9. just a little while
    10. feedback

some of them are marred by truly godawful lyrics but if those 10 songs were on one album it'd be pretty solid in my books

27. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Enjoy is such a lovely tune, especially in this weather. Head and shoulders above anything else post-Velvet Rope for me, although Damita Jo has its moments.

28. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

"Spending Time With You" is another great Summer night track.

29. Jark

Jark bon appètit, baby

Nobody will agree with me but I honestly think if any of the other divas on this list had recorded Rock With U it would've got some MAJOR LOVE on Moopy. Such a cracking song and she really does sound quite decent on it (by her standards) - certainly much better than many of her other singles of the 00s (Someone to Call My Lover springs to mind as having a truly PISS WEAK vocal)

30. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

The thing that makes me sad about Janet's career implosion is that the one thing she did better than any of these other bitches was project WARMTH. I miss that. She totally misunderstood what her audience wanted from her with 4 albums of grotesque sex songs. It's like in her head 'Rope Burn' was the massive international smash off of Velvet Rope, rather than Together Again.

31. straightorbroken

You're in for a TREAT. I demand a live track by track review when you do.

32. Nathalie Tauziat's Analpony

Nathalie Tauziat's Analpony User

I voted on the assumption we were discussing a hit on the scale of being a global #1 however I think quite a few of them actually have the scope for some more reasonable sized top 5 hits:
    Madonna - definitely has the potential and given the success of Hung Up and 4 Minutes there is a lot of scope for her to have a massive lead single again
    Mariah - In the US she'll no doubt notch up a few more hits at least
    Kylie - If things are managed properly then the right track could definitely score her a hit; she just seems to have gone out of fashion a little bit as 6 or 7 years ago the likes of Time Bomb would have had no trouble going top 10
    Mary J Blige - Maybe a US R&B hit but internationally I can't see it
    Cher - Given the recent success of Sia I wouldn't put her out of contention for a good feature track
    Celine & Shania - I don't they'd even be too fussed about even trying to get one unless they stumbled upon an absolute gem; but both could have a reasonably well selling album

33. straightorbroken

Exactly, putting a brave face on AIDS was her THANG, it really was an outstanding song. She seemed untouchable, and the only thing seemingly incurable was her TALLANT.

34. Kalabaliken

You're ON! I'll do it tomorrow night. :D

35. straightorbroken

I've a feeling fireworks are going to go off, my nerves won't be able to handle Love Spent, I'm Addicted, BK, I Fucked Up, Falling Free, Gang Bang and I'm Addicted getting anything less than the 10s they demand. Superstar has special needs so needs extra love and patience, and experiencing Turn Up The Radio live whilst glaring up Madge's nostrils and turkey neck totally elevated it to a 10 as well, but I wouldn't wish them on anyone, it's a huge burden loving them both.

36. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I voted for Madonna and Kylie, but after discovering Mariah is possibly joining the American Idol panel I think I voted too soon.

37. straightorbroken

Mariah needs to stay the hell away from that show, and I doubt she'd go near it with the seat still warm from J-Lo's arse. Her appearances on the HSN are enough for me as far as having a TV career goes. Of course, I'd lap it up, but she's not off the pedestal quite yet.

38. Jark

Jark bon appètit, baby

It's the biggest rated show on TV! She's HARDLY in a position to be snobby about such opportunities...

39. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

It's a sad reflection of our ageist society (and the charts in particular seemingly becoming increasingly youth-orientated by the year) that a massive crossover hit seems improbable for most of these wonderful popstars.

However, I think Kylie, Mariah and Madonna are the most likely to manage it.

It was a shocking result, but not to be all STOCKING PROBLEMS!!11 about it, weren't a LOAD of sales excluded due to an iTunes offer regarding the album pre-order? I realise how loonish that sounds, but I'm sure it's true.

40. Molicious

Molicious LANA DEL MO

Discipline is great.