Discussion in 'Divas' started by Floella, Jul 19, 2009.
In Germany anyway, ILTY/MDB is a double-A. It seems in the UK they are focussing on MDB.
Wow, this was truly amazing. The whole stage and her performance, incredible
I had shivers.
One of my favourite moments is here: 4:30, when the music sets in again.
Simply glorious, go Whitney
So is today the day that Million Dollar Bill finally gets added to uk itunes?
STANDING O O O O O O O O O O O O
Not such an EVENT MOMENT as the Oprah performance, but fuck my arse, that last note is HEAVEN and a much more assured performance than Oprah.
That's how we welcome a LEGEND. Three STANDING Os, CRYING audience and loon banners galore. I want this reception on X-Factor x10 as well as TWO performances. Having to share the weekend with Cherly Cole is an absolute insult.
she's STILL GOT IT FOLKS!
On the Whitney board they are saying that perhaps it is JLS and Whitney on the 17th weekend, the weekend after that it's Cheryl Cole and Leona. We'll see.
I'm going to do a wee first listen party.
1. Million Dollar Bill - Yes I already know this of course. It's not exactly an event single but it's a nice, classy comeback. I think she should have just billed it as an Alicia Keys duet (because let's face it, IT IS) and it might have actually got some US Chart action. But yes 8/10 very good song. The X Factor performance definitely renewed my interest in it, for better or worse.
2. Nothin' But Love - Ooh what a chunky intro this has! The electro-ish sound was not what I was expecting from this record at all. This is one of those songs that will probably end up growing on me because it's more of an attitude-led groove than a big pop song but I already like it. FIERCE. 7/10
3. Call You Tonight - Liking this a LOT. That line about being "Pressed for time" is very DIVA . This is likely to be a single, yes? Probably a good call. She actually sounds GREAT on this one too. Something about the "I WILL BAY-BAY" refrain is reminding me strongly of something from the 90s, but I don't know what. 8/10 anyway.
4. I Look To You - I still fucking LOVE this song. Despite my initial shock at how much her voice has changed, I now think the reduced range is really working. She really sells the emotion of this one, something I could not say about 90% of her 80s ballads. 9/10
5. Like I Never Left - Akon and WHITNEEEEY. . This isn't offensive but it's just so fucking DRAB. Sadly one of the biggest potential hits though, just because HE is on it. 5/10.
6. A Song For You - OH MY GOD Alice Deejay called, they want their CHEESY TRANCE BEATS BACK. This is absolutely ridiculous and I love it. 8/10
7. I Didn't Know My Own Strength - OK I admit it, this sappy 1993 shit has grown on me. It's still RETARDED, but it'll probably end up being the classic of this era with Joe Public and an X Factor/American Idol staple. *grumbles* 7/10
8. Worth It - This is PURE latter day Mariah. The first 30 seconds are totally Bye Bye, and the Piano line and vocal arrangement is just... yeah. Mariah. It's OK, nothing special. 6/10 EDIT: What a bizarre fade-out this song has. It sounds like some tech guy is just turning down the track verrrry slowly for about the last 15 seconds.
9. For The Lovers - I can't believ I'm nine tracks into a Whitney Houston album and enjoying it this much. This is a fun bouncy track with some very lyrics. "To all the haters in the place. I AIN'T singin' to you..." 8/10
10. I Got You - Just OK. One of the more fillerish tracks, but there's a nice bit of drama to it. 6/10
11. Salute - I can see why Lou is all over this shit. I feel like doing my HURR indeed. A bit minimal for me but I like it. 7/10
I don't think Alicia's voice is actually on the record. I was trying to work it out yesterday and I think it's all Whitney. It just sounds like Alicia cos it's her usual vocal arrangement & production.
i don't hear alicia on it either, unless she's consciously doing a whitney
I'm really surprised how much I enjoyed that! Even the filler tracks aren't bad at all!
Definitely an 8/10 album.
You seem to be on the same page with pretty much everyone there, VoR...
worth noting though that "For The Lovers" is the grower. It sounds just a like a nice funky album closer, but it's actually quite the BEAST of a track
I don't know about the rest of the song but that is absolutely Alicia's voice in the second verse - "I've been lookin' (lookin'), I've been searchin' (searchin')".
Your average score is 7.2 (and that's rounding UP)
You are RIGHT!
I didn't realise I had been bigging Salute up so much
I mean I still love it but it's not in my ILTY TOP 3
I've finally got up to date with this as I wanted to wait until the album was out officially... I can't be bothered to read everything but:
SALUTE IS THE BEST THING EVER. I actually love it.
Well, either that or The Silence by Alexandra Burke is the best thing ever.
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I can't be bothered reading through 20 pages to check. Are we aware that Whitney performed 'A Song For You' way back in 1991?
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t_UnGxm3OPs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t_UnGxm3OPs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
I loved the song so much on the album that I have been listening to other versions of it (Buble, Cher, The Carpenters...) and I just noticed on Wikipedia that this performance happened.
Comparing her live 1991 vocal to the 2009 vocal is a bit depressing...
True, although she tends to change a song for the better when it's live as opposed to in the studio. We can even see that with all the (good) performances of ILTY songs in this era.
Remixes of ILTY and IDKMOS from the likes of Junior Vasquez, Jonathan Peters and Johnny Vicious
By the way, I haven't read this thread still - but this is my album of the year. awesome.
*goes back and reads to find out everyone else HATES it*
have you done a track by track review yet cwej?
(word of warning - it's imperative you absolutely adore For The Lovers)
I can't be arsed with a track by track, because basically every track is in the 8 to 10 range - it's such a consistent album. For me possibly the weakest track is 'I Look To You' though, which I know is unpopular on here, but it's just so so dated.
'For The Lovers' is just amazing once it gets going, but I don't like the intro. That I can totally see going mental to in a club. Oddly, to add to your comments about it being a grower, it's only today I realised just how awesome it is!!
Too many good moments in this album to count.
when all is said and done, i think ilty and idkmos will remain as my favourite tracks from this project - they might not be the best songs (and everyone knows i hate the production on both), but they have that special something about the moment they come in and the way they work for whitney which takes them a level above the rest
I don't mind IDKMOS, but ILTY just does nothing for me. It's just so generic.
I say that - but like I say, even the weakest songs are solid 8 out of 10s!!
The complaints about tracks on this ablum being dated just wash over me. I mean, it's not like this is in any way cutting edge R&B (when has Whitney been anything even remotely approaching cutting edge?!) and to complain otherwise is to completely miss the point.
Obviously, I Look To You is all about the vocal delivery and the lyrics, and she delivers both of those masterfully.
I Look To You has really lovely lyrics and she sings them with real emotion.
I Didn't Know My Own Strength is just a walk-through litany of Diane Warren clichés. Again, she sings it well and it's relevent to her in an OBVIOUS sort of way, but it isn't one tenth the song ILTY is.
I think I love ILTY a lot more than if it had been released in May or something.
It's such a cosy, old-fashioned, traditional pop ballad, so it's just perfect Christmas-buildup music. It's the type of stuff I really embrace this time of year. In fact for that reason I really get back into my old Mariah/Whitney stuff around Christmas time.
But the rest of the album isn't dated AT ALL, which is why I Look To You stands out as being dated. I don't think 'My Love Is Your Love' was a dated album either - she worked with the most relevant producers of the time in Missy and Darkchild for starters.
Anyway, I still think the album is near to perfect - if it does end up being her swansong, then it's an amazing way to go out.
Come on. 'A Song For You' is straight out of 1993!
oh God yes, ASFY is early 90s cheesetastic...
Oh yeah I forgot about ASFY!! You're quite right... it's UTTERLY DATED, but I LOVE that
Yet you don't like I Look To You because it's, er, also so dated...
I like the album a lot, but it's no masterpiece. It's very good - for her - and I'm very glad they kept it to 11 tracks with only the minimum of filler. I'm enjoying it a lot and I think it will stand the test of time, more or less.
These are her tour dates....so far. And she seems to be adding extra European dates all the time. I assume she'll do the US/Canada in the last quarter of next year.
Wed, 12/09/2009 Moscow, Russia Olympisky Stadium
Sat, 12/12/2009 St. Petersburg, Russia Ice Palace
Thu, 02/11/2010 Tokyo, Japan Saitama Super Arena
Sat, 02/13/2010 Tokyo, Japan Saitama Super Arena
Sun, 02/14/2010 Tokyo, Japan Saitama Super Arena
Wed, 02/17/2010 Osaka, Japan Osaka-Jo Hall
Thu, 02/18/2010 Osaka, Japan Osaka-Jo Hall
Tue, 04/06/2010 Paris, FR Omnisport Bercy
Thu, 04/08/2010 Manchester, GB MEN Arena
Fri, 04/09/2010 Manchester, GB MEN Arena
Sun, 04/11/2010 Glasgow, GB SECC
Tue, 04/13/2010 Birmingham, GB LG Arena
Wed, 04/14/2010 Nottingham, GB Arena
Sat, 04/17/2010 Dublin, IE O2 Arena
Sun, 04/18/2010 Dublin, IE O2 Arena
Tue, 04/20/2010 Dublin, IE O2 Arena
Thu, 04/22/2010 Newcastle, GB Metro Radio Arena
Sun, 04/25/2010 London, GB O2 Arena
Mon, 04/26/2010 London, GB O2 Arena
Wed, 04/28/2010 London, GB O2 Arena
Mon, 05/03/2010 Milan, IT Forum
Sun, 05/09/2010 Zurich, CH Hallenstadion
Wed, 05/12/2010 Berlin, DE O2 World
Thu, 05/13/2010 Leipzig, DE Arena Leipzig
Sun, 05/16/2010 Hannover, DE TUI Arena
Mon, 05/17/2010 Hamburg, DE Color Line Arena
Wed, 05/19/2010 Vienna, AT Stadthalle
Fri, 05/21/2010 Munich, DE Olympiahalle Munich
Sat, 05/22/2010 Stuttgart, DE Hanns-Martin-Schleyer-Halle
Mon, 05/24/2010 Antwerp, BE Sportpaleis
Wed, 05/26/2010 Oberhausen, DE König Pilsener Arena
Thu, 05/27/2010 Nuernberg, DE Nürnberger Versicherungen
Sat, 05/29/2010 Mannheim, DE SAP Arena
Mon, 05/31/2010 Frankfurt, DE Festhalle
Thu, 06/03/2010 Copenhagen, DK Forum
Thu, 06/04/2010 Copenhagen, DK Forum
Tue, 06/08/2010 Stockholm, SE The Globe Arena
Thu, 06/10/2010 Helsinki, FI Hartwall Arena
God you're such a whinger. :|
That was the reason for my face, that I was noticing my own hypocrisy and thought it was quite funny.