Who are you currently planning to vote for in the 2015 UK General Election (Jan 2015 edition)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by RobotBoy, Jan 14, 2015.

?

Best of the worst?

1. Conservatives

11.4%
  2. Labour

37.1%
  3. Liberal Democrats

14.3%
  4. UKIP

2.9%
  5. Green Party

14.3%
  6. SNP

11.4%
  7. Other: Please state

8.6%
  8. I am not planning on voting for any of this shower

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kate

Kate she's for the streets BITCH

Isn't it. CHRIST. This SELFISH GREEDY BITCH should SELL HER TV and STOP WHINING, even though there are people in the City who could solve all her problems with the amount they're spending on CHAMPERS in some CUNTS CLUB this evening

2. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Because they might try to take those nice things from US.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  3. Slave

Slave User

4. Kate

Slave, the reason parents are terrified of social services is that they think they are going to take their children away!

5. Kate

(She says social services are why she's scared of food banks)

6. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Assuming for the of arguments that this woman's maximised her benefit claims and isn't wasting money somehow (and I have no reason to doubt this), then her and her children's level of poverty is unacceptable to me. I don't want to live in a country where having a poxy tv licence is considered an unnecessary luxury and I am certainly not going to begrudge her right to free healthcare.

I'd rather they increased the basic rate of income tax a bit.

7. Slave

Slave User

I completely understand that - I haven't seen any reports though of families who receive from food banks losing their children? If that is the case then it's very wrong, but it comes across as though she's decided not to pursue them because of what she was told when she was growing up, which might not actually be the truth.

I'm not one of those people who uses third world poverty as a benchmark against which we should judge poverty in THIS country. I think her situation sounds desperately sad. I'm not saying that having a TV means she is not in a miserable situation - clearly she is. I just find it quite hard to swallow the rationale of "My kids will go without decent food, but they shall not go without television".

8. Slave

Slave User

But is there any rationale to that? Other than what she was told when she was growing up.

9. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

As plenty of people have pointed out on her blog, you can get a referral from your GP, and with her poor health she'd qualify. Plus with all the media coverage of the rise in foodbanks it's not as if she won't know they exist or be able to look on the internet to see where one is. And as you've said it's her 4 children who's health is being potentially compromised by her choices not to seek help that is available.

10. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

I've no idea WHY but this seems to be COMPLETELY UNSAYABLE in POLITICAL CIRCLES of ALL HUES, presumably because it might IMPINGE on THE SACRED """""HARDWORKING FAMILIES"""""

I've gone off voting LABOUR since some STOOGE on NEWSNIGHT last night refused to even COUNTENANCE that PRIVATIZATIONS could POSSIBLY NOT BE A GOOD THING even in the NHS :eyes:

11. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Was that Labour stooge Lord Darzi, the eminent surgeon?

12. Penelope

Penelope SMIRKING LESBIAN MOON

Sentences with this many negative clauses hurt my brain :( STOP TALKING LIKE RUSSELL BRAND

13. Penelope

If it's Lord Darzi he's not really a Labour stooge, or at all influential in the campaign. He's been mainly criticising the campaign so far...

14. Shirley

The Paxo-lite beardy bloke who I don't know but is a bit better than old TINSEL TITS asked him what was meant by privatization in a discussion about the NHS and he was waffling on about providers and I don't know what else whereas I want a Labour MP to say "IT MEANS THE MONEY THAT YOU HAVE PAID IN TAX TO FUND THE NHS GOING STRAIGHT INTO THE POCKETS OF THE DIRECTORS OF PRIVATE HEALTH COMPANIES"

15. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

The Labour strategy of weaponising the NHS is really not going to end well.

16. PJL

PJL User

Honestly, at this rate, why even bother voting Labour if they're going to slightly be less Toryish than the Tories. There's a reason why Syriza won in Greece, people want real change from the discredited neo-liberal model that was caused by the 2008 depression.

17. Madison

Because they're less Toryish than the Tories, and stand a chance of being elected.

18. PJL

PJL User

Well, there's not enough difference at the moment. They need to move leftwards a bit more to get back the rising Green vote, shore up the red LD voters, and the SNP voters (though I think the last ones are a lost cause).

19. Shirley

I know right

We're still going to MAKE MASSIVE CUTS to EVERYTHING, but they are going to be MARGINALLY LESS MASSIVE :eyes:

20. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

21. Penelope

There's a difference of at least £50bn in the spending plans of Labour and the Tories. Hardly 'slightly less Toryish' - that's a fucking huge amount of money (for the record, the annual cost of Trident, the scrapping of which is one of the huge totems of left-wing symbolism, is £1.5bn).

And yeah, there's a reason why Syriza won in Greece. Half their youth were unemployed, the economy's contracted by over a quarter in the last 5 years, and much of it was overseen by the two main parties. That's not really a lesson we can take much from here - no-holds barred anger over austerity and policy dictated exclusively by it only really preaches to about 30-35% of voters here, whereas it pretty much permeates all of Greek society. Do you genuinely think Syriza would win a landslide here?

22. PJL

PJL User

No, I don't think so. But Greece is an extreme example of what happened in the West generally. The current levels of support for Greens, SNP (and indeed UKIP) reflect that there is significant minority that want real change from the discredited 2.4 party system.

23. Penelope

There has been for about forty years now - the difference is that they aren't all voting Lib Dem now. If anything, the minority's smaller now - the total of the Tories and Labour added up to 65% in 2010. Going off the most recent polls, it's gone up to ~67-70%.

24. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Where does the 50bn Labour are planning to spend come from, and what's it going to pay for?

25. Madison

It's such a shame they did BUGGER ALL about it during the AV referendum (or used it as a Nick Clegg beating stick).

It's not going to happen - move on and make a real choice.

26. Penelope

£27bn of the difference is in the surplus that the Conservatives are planning to run to fund tax cuts. I couldn't tell you offhand the total itemisation of the £23bn of investment spending and spending cut reversals, but the manifesto'll doubtless be able to give you that when it comes out after the start of the general election campaign at the end of March.

27. Madison

Penelope - is AV dead for good, or do you think it could be up for grabs as a condition of coalition/support?

28. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

A referendum on AV and English votes for English laws would be an unprecedented success.

29. PJL

PJL User

And it's precisely that sort of attitude that keeps the system going.

30. Penelope

What, that people should vote for proportional representation?

31. Penelope

AV is dead for good, but I could see STV in local elections (at the least) being something that a) the Lib Dems would demand as a red line in coalition negotiations and that Labour would (parliamentary arithmetic-dependent) probably not veto. Even though 2015 won't be the nadir of two-party support, I can't see the genie of several-party politics going back into the bottle. I think some form of proportional voting reform is inevitable in the next decade unless either the Tories or Labour return to 40+% dominance by 2020.

32. Madison

You're right. I'm going to vote GREEN and everything will sort itself out.

33. Penelope

On the subject (and to invoke a slightly more statistically significant version of the BOOK OF STATS, albeit without demographic weighting or simultaneous questioning), I've spoken to/dealt with over two thousand voters since the referendum in two swing seats, and I have genuinely not spoken to a single person who has changed their vote over English votes for English laws - the only people who have ever brought it up have been people who were voting Conservative or UKIP anyway.

Which isn't really that surprising anyway, unless you're Dan Hodges.

(Actually, saying that...)

34. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I do have a parent who's stood for Labour and an increasing sense of despair about the party but I also have two fully functioning eyes.

Have the two thousand people you've spoken to been asked a specific question about it or just a general "any other stuff that fucks you off?"

35. Penelope

Having an opinion on something being bad is very, very different from it being an issue that decides someone's vote though. If somebody's changed their vote (even if it's from Labour to undecided) they're asked if there's a particular reason for it. It's pretty telling when something's a non-issue when it's transparently not an ideal scenario and the status quo is indefensible and yet absolutely nobody mentions it as a reason for changing their vote - if people really cared that much, you'd think it'd come up at least once.

The vast majority of people vote on issues that affect them or on who they think would be the best leader for the country or on who their best local representative is. With all that's going on, I'd wager that if somebody's top voting concern is a constitutional quirk and *that's* the reason they're changing their vote, they're an utter fucking freak anyway.

36. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I wouldn't expect it to be anyone's priority, but you didn't answer my question.

I assume you're talking about your polling job, so have you asked a specific 'Welsh and Scottish MPs can't vote on education and health legislation impacting on the schools and hospitals in their own constituencies but can on legislation that only impacts on English voters. Is this fair?' type question?

37. Penelope

My job isn't in polling. Again - when it comes to the election, it's pretty meaningless on whether people think it's an unfair situation when the question is posed if nobody actually cares enough to change their vote over it.

38. Alex

Alex User

If there's no votes in fairness then who gives a fuck. Lovely attitude.

39. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Penelope's posts are making me want to scratch my eyes out again.

40. Penelope

My point wasn't that it doesn't need sorting. I was more referring to the people who think English Votes For English Laws is going to be an issue (let alone the one that 'does Labour in') at the coming election. I'd rather we had regional devolution instead of the system we've got now. It still doesn't mean anybody really gives a fuck about it in practice - just as nobody has given a fuck about the West Lothian Question for a good sixteen years now (aside from about a week after the vote on top-up fees), until the Tories decided there were votes in it. Which there aren't.