Why didn't "Celebration" do well?

Discussion in 'Madonna' started by Suedey, Jan 6, 2010.

?

Why didn't Madonna's all-encompassing GH do very well?

1. "Madonna fatigue"; and the damage from "Hard Candy".

57.8%
  2. "Celebration" (the single) wasn't strong enough.

48.9%
  3. Madonna not doing much promotion.

68.9%
  4. There wasn't much need for another Madonna compilation. She already has 3.

40.0%
  5. The market climate has changed and GH's don't do that well anymore.

11.1%
  6. STOCKING PROBLEMS / CLEARCHANNEL CONSPIRACY.

4.4%
  7. Other PLEASE SPECIFY

4.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Suedey

Suedey #WorldChorusDay2020

Time is WAITING

2. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Well the lack of promo from her clearly didn't help things, combined with GH's in general not doing as well anymore (down 16.6% on 2008).

3. Suedey

Oh, I forgot to add an option about the tracklisting - that is, in case anyone thought its underperformance was due to the tracklisting not being great.

Which is rubbish because I really think they did a good job picking the songs.

I think the packaging was very good too.

4. Suedey

Urgh, also forgot an option about the "Celebration" video itself. There was absolutely no buzz at all (understandable as the video was SHIT) and that can't have helped.

5. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

There was loads of buzz for the video! The news that it would be shot with fans in Italy, that Ã…kerlund was on board (despite clearly being a "yes man" for her these days and not turning out anything decent for ages), that it was dance heavy, then the leaking of very short clips all made the gusset positively froth with excitement.

Then we had the execreble "comedy" clip with Oakenfold dancing and her boyfriend DJing which totally killed the buzz :manson:

... but was the perfect intro to the video itself. Utterly awful.

Final score: 0 crutch thrusts out of 100

6. Suedey

Internet gay boy buzz? Surely.

But mainstream buzz that got the public engaged as well? Absolutely not.

7. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Well I certainly don't have my finger on anything OTHER than the internet gay pulse :D

8. rural juror

rural juror User

I think its just that the whole campaihgn screamed apathy from start to finish by all involved, something HAS to be released so lets throw out anything and move on to Livenation

9. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

All the first 4. And perhaps a bit of the 5th about climate and GHs not doing as well, but that can't fully explain just how crap it did. The other reasons contribute more.

10. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

The public is sick of her. Sad but true. She needs to fuck off and come back in 3 years minimum with her grotty old vagina firmly covered up.

11. Ag

Ag User

GHs are dead. Long live downloading individual tunes.

12. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Tell that to Better Midler.

OK, it's a totally different case but there's still something to be said for flogging your ways on any show that'll have you

13. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

GHs may be on the wane but plenty sold more than hers in 09. Even Will Young.

14. lolly

Absolutely. They may not be as big as they were, but there's no excuse for THAT piddling total.

15. lolly

LOL at the links at the bottom. Do amazon REALLY charge over a TENNER for Hard Candy? :D

16. Suedey

But people already said that about Hard Candy. Really, by the time Celebration was released she had already moved on.

The lack of cooperation (for lack of a better word) or interest in her own career though is really disgusting, despite having jumped ship to another label. Just look at George Michael - he was already with Virgin, and despite the bitter history with Sony, he was more than happy to cooperate for Ladies and Gentlemen.

17. rural juror

rural juror User

Oh exactly, its NOTGHING new shes been going that way for a while and it just seems that everyone around her were feeling more and more the same. I'm not sure anyone from her, her management or her old record company had ANY view of thisd album as more than a contractual obligation

18. Suedey

Absolutely a part of it.

But as you know, Madonna has never been one of those people that fucks off for 3 years and then "comes back." Even Ray of Light, which was hailed as her comeback album, had 12 months between "Another Suitcase..." and "Frozen."

19. Ag

Ag User

Most Madonna fans are internet gays.

Most Bette Midler and Will Young fans may be described as silver surfers at best. At worst they'd lay a trap for a computer mouse.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  20. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

This

21. Man in a Hamster Wheel

Man in a Hamster Wheel Mr Blue

No "They left off smash hit single American Life" and "Lazy Warners used the wrong edits of Cherish and Hollywood!!!11!!1!" options? :o

But as summarised well upthread, mainly it's a combination of Madge/vadge overkill and the whole whiff of 'soulless stocking filler' this entire project has had since day 1. If she'd taken a sabbatical ever since the Confessions era, then really pulled her finger out for the conception and promotion of this, the tables would look a fair bit better, though obviously far from the early-'90s levels of TIC as the entire market has just moved on.

22. Spuggie

Spuggie Ripped to shreds

Because people could easily download 'Hung Up' and '4 Minutes' if they wanted to add to the (selected) tracks they uploaded from GHV2?

There was no REAL incentive to buy for a casual fan. 'Celebration' (the song) was passable, a little more interesting if you were a fan, but beyond that it didn't make a crossover connection, much the same with 90% of the material documented on 'Celebration' from 2001-onwards.

Perhaps if GHV2 had never happened...

23. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

The ONLY good thing about the whole campaign was the TV advert with all the clips of her FUCK OFF BIG HITS, which gave me rubbish gay Madonna tingles every time I saw it.

24. Slave

Slave User

I was going to SAY, if Will Young can flog a Greatest Hits album off the back of 4 or 5 singles that anyone really KNOWS, then Madonna has NO excuse.

To me, it's absolute APATHY on HER part, which has translated to the public. Plus I think the general public actually ARE on the pulse with her image at the moment, it's unflattering to say the LEAST.

Except rather than look at it with the timely irony, disdain and eventually DISGUST that the internet gays do, the general public will go STRAIGHT for the LATTER.

25. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

If only!

26. loomer

loomer User

<strike>Cause it was a shit half-assed effort chockful of bad Immaculate Collection Mixes</strike>

Erm, no.

The turning point for her I think was David Banda - then Mercy

She could do no wrong at the time of Confessions, but the public really turned against her after those adoptions. They just don't like her current persona.

27. Pipo

Pipo WEAR MY KISS

I don't think people here judge her by her persona but it definitely flopped because
    1) It was fucking expensive
    2) People I know who are fans just downloaded Celebration and Revolver :o
    3) It wasn't promoted as much as Gaga's Monster, Suboy or Andrea Bocelli which had adverts ALL DAY LONG and giants posters in music stores

28. loomer

loomer User

Greatest Hits albums are also DEAD big time

Even in the UK....

The APOLOGISTS all reckon that the fact that 4 million people already own TIC was the clincher, but I don't really accept that. I would have thought a comprehensive Madonna GH would have at least done better than her low selling studio flops like Hard Candy.

29. loomer

loomer User

Well you can rule that one out for the UK at least. The double CD was initially the same price or a pound more than the single

And the single disc should have had Borderline instead of Lucky Star. I'm not sure how much the tracklisting matters in the grand scheme, but Miles Away and Hollywood can't have helped. I think True Blue would have helped sales in the UK.

30. lolly

I noticed the double version is currently cheaper than the single one in HMV.

The UK is quite unusual in our double discs being relatively cheap, aren't we? I know quite often abroad the doubles seem to be only slightly cheaper than twice the price of a single.

31. foopy

foopy User

But isn't that TANTAMOUNT to an ADMISSION that she's done NOTHING OF WORTH in the LAST TWENTY YEARS?

:basil:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  32. loomer

loomer User

I heard the price shot back up - hence it plummeting down the charts

33. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

Celebration didn't do well because lots of people think Madonna is a cunt.

34. loomer

loomer User

THIS article seems to think JUST THAT

35. loomer

loomer User

I just said that :rusty:

36. Malteaser

Malteaser No ordinary poster

The first four options. Particularly, no one wants a compilation of greatest hits that have been on previous greatest hits albums dating as late as 2001. It's a bit like the Spice Girl's - a recipe for success but the tracks can be obtained elsewhere for far cheaper.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  37. Pipo

Pipo WEAR MY KISS

GH in general aren't that dead at all.

38. The Anti-Dubsden

The Anti-Dubsden User

A combination.

Madonna's public image has never been lower - she's pretty much vilified by the media now, and she doesn't help matters with her vagina antics and stealing African children. Madonna used to be the popstar it was cool to like, but that's all completely ended now - she's seen as an embarrassment.

The promotion was also dreadful (ie almost non-existant). The single release was botched - why use the remix for the video, whilst having the radio edit on the airwaves? It was all very disjointed. Neither the single or video were particularly special anyway - much as I enjoy listening to "Celebration", to the average Joe it will simply have sounded like a lazy re-tread of the COAD era.

I also think she missed a trick not releasing nearer Christmas. By the time serious shopping had started, the collection was already old news. Album sales are pretty much dead throughout the year save for the Christmas build-up - she should have released in November, giving her two months shop time, but not being too early for her to be missed in the seasonal release rush. It worked for Will Young and Snow Patrol (who also disprove the notion that GHs are dead).

39. Alex

Alex Go fish

SIMON COWELL CONSPIRACY

40. lolly

I don't think the release date would have been a problem at all, had she done well timed promo (i.e. X Factor).