World Athletics Championships 2017 - London (ft. Sheena piss decathalon)

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Halli, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

Starting tonight from the Olympic Stadium. About to take over the BBC for 10 days :disco:

Guess this deserves it's on thread

2. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I assume from Facebook that Shee is there...

3. Halli

Hopefully covering his ears during Rebecca Ferguson's interesting attempt at the national anthem..

4. Mugatu

Mugatu a marginalized clown

Going to this with my best friend on Monday, I can't wait to watch the shot put and latently compliment the physiques of some huge men.

5. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

I went the other week to the paras. The atmosphere was great.

But stay out of Westfield :oi:

6. Halli

Semenya doubling up with the 1500m :o

7. Mel

Mel User

I wanted to buy M&S pizza for dinner but this is the reason I stayed away.

8. Halli

stratford station was chaos this evening too :angry:

9. Halli

YAY MO etc.

10. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

I'm going tomorrow and Thursday night. Will be interested to see if this has even 10% of the impact of the Olympics on the general public consciousness.

11. Halli

I just can't really warm to KJT - she just comes off as a MOODY BRAT to me.

12. Halli

Would still like her to medal tho.

13. Win_the_game

Win_the_game Heroine

Oh absolutely. She's a right miserable cunt.

14. David_5000

Does anyone have a clue why it's partially sponsored by Eurovision?

15. Halli

Colin Jackson's influence strikes yet agaim

16. Madison

I fear you are conflating the Eurovision network with the song contest its broadcast through.

17. David_5000

I didn't mention the song contest, I've just never seen overt advertising like that before.

18. Madison

Oh I see. No, I've seen it before - the EBU must hold the distribution rights.

19. David_5000

Although it would be fantastic to have Rona Nishliu singing the national anthems.

Penelope likes this.
  20. Mel

Mel User

Would be better than watching Rebecca Ferguson honking through God Save The Queen in the middle of the tracks yesterday.

21. Mel

Mel User

It was nice to see athletes get a medal re-allocation mini-ceremony to give them some of the glory they deserved.

My sports claim to fame will always be running along Christine Ohuruogu in Mile End Park as she trained for the 2012 Olympics and encouraging me as I was plodding & wheezing up a really steep hill.

22. Halli

IKR. Must be KJT's cousin or something. Both narky scousers

23. Mel

Mel User

Wow. Gatlin wins and the crowd ain't happy.

24. Madison

Urgh. Twat.

25. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

26. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Keeping it classy with the booing :manson:

One word for Bolt: HUBRIS. I can't stand him.

27. Win_the_game

Win_the_game Heroine

Why shouldn't he be booed? He's a drug cheat who served two doping bans - hardly a shining beacon for the sport.

28. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Every single one of the athletes in that final is up to their eyeballs with some sort of body-enhancing drug. Some are accepted, some are not, but they're all at it one way or another.

If you actually read Gatlin's story you'll see it's not as black and white as 'two time convicted drug cheat' as the British media portrays it. I'm not defending him, but booing him while hailing Brits like Christine Ohuruogu or naming stadiums after Linford Christie smacks of hypocrisy.

29. Madison

BOOOO

30. David_5000

I was saying "Boo-olt"

[​IMG]

COB and Mugatu like this.
  31. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

I went on Saturday night and saw Mo Farah win, it was sooo fun! We were right by the discus cage so got a good view of all the big beefy men with their tops off.

32. Madison

Sounds like the booing ceremony is about to begin.

33. Slave

Slave User

Surely a lot of this (minor) furore is all about the context - I don't know an awful lot about Gatlin, but I don't think people necessarily wanted to see the best person win, they wanted to see Bolt win to cap off his career.

I'm not entirely convinced that anyone would have received a RAPTUROUS response. It just so happens that Gatlin's victory rubbed salt into the wound.

34. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

No the booing started before he beat Bolt. He was booed every time he was mentioned the day before. UK fans know about athletics.

35. Halli

Watching Steve Cram and Michael Johnson debate the Gatlin thing this evening was better than a soap opera episode!

Elaine Thompson beat too tonight! :o I always had my eye on Tori Bowie though tbh - and I think she's better at 200m. Not sure she's doing that this championships though.

Either way, loving this. I imagine our Sheena is having fun in the stadium, it's only about 10 minutes from my flat, lots of my neighbours have done a bunk and have rented their place out on Airbnb. I always miss a trick.

36. cwej

cwej User

I'm going Wednesday and Friday - very much looking forward to it. It's been really entertaining stuff so far, especially both 100m going against most people's expectations.

37. cwej

cwej User

I wish KJT would sort it the fuck out. Never brings it like she really should be able to at the big championships.

38. cwej

cwej User

Agreed - after the wonderfulness of both Denise Lewis and Jessica Ennis, she's a right letdown.

39. Halli

I couldn't stop looking at Denise's HAIR tonight, it almost looked like the texture was that of a white women - was it a WIG? She's bloody beautiful facially, and of course not ageing a day

40. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I disagree with this theory entirely- and if you have that theory, then why bother watching? I refuse to believe EVERYONE is on drugs and, knowing the sport far better than most people do, I absolutely do NOT think it's the case. YES, athletics has a massive problem at the moment and I'm not denying it's RIDDLED with drugs in places, but this is utter horseshit.

Secondly, the media causes a MASSIVE problem with drug cheats- EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE TOP TEN MEN OF ALL TIME HAS TESTED POSITIVE EXCEPT BOLT etc etc. BOLLOCKS- loads of those are stimulant positives which you can get from snorting VICKS. Utter HORSESHIT compares to hardcore steroids, but it fits the sensationalist storyline and certainly the brain dead who follow the sport once every four years usually.

And this is the main crux of my argument- who are we to decide if someone is on drugs just because "they all are". What an awful, dreadful thing to do someone who might actually be clean. The reason Gatlin is booed is because he is a known drug cheat. A TWICE known drug cheat.

Actually, it's far worse than most people know. He tested positive as a youngster, supposedly for something he took for attention deficit disorder and MORE OR LESS got away with it. The second time, he was training with Trevor Graham- the coach now banned who basically had a whole STABLE of athletes who tested positive around the time of the BALCO scandal (loads of his athletes were customers of BALCO), massively denied it, cooked up some absolute SHIT story and has come back after his drugs ban BETTER THAN EVER, whilst being really cunty. Man has dragged the sport through the dirt and laughs in its face now he's back.

Should he have been booed? ABSOLUTELY!
    Is it right that he is the only one? ABSOLUTELY NOT! But here is another issue- the media doesn't give a fuck about athletics. So today, I was the only person who booed Amantle Montsho of Botswana, returning once champion who has just served a ban. Everyone around me looked surprised- because athletics generally only cares about the 100m, no one knew who she was- she was actually Christine Ohuruogu's big rival for a long time but we just don't give a shit. Even worse, the IAAF do fuck all to highlight who the cheats are- make them wear a fucking different vest. Put a syringe next to their name in the start lists and stop hiding it. Montsho was introduced as "Former world champion, been out of the spotlight for some time, but now she's back..." in the stadium this morning- I was INCREDULOUS! Loads of athletes kicking off about Gatlin being singled out, but the public just doesn't know...

And your post smacks of someone who has a little knowledge and not a lot. Comparing Ohuruogu's ban (in which every authority made it very clear they did not believe she made any attempt to take a banned substance) for missing tests with Gatlin is fucking ludicrous. Christie is perhaps different- I think it was OBVIOUS he was juiced back in the day, it was very prevalent in that era of course, but Christie's nandrolone positive remains one of the most strange anomalies in drug testing history- the likely explanation was tainted supplements but a whole SLEW of big name and VERY UNLIKELY athletes (Merlene Ottey included!) suddenly tested positive for nandrolone (the cheapest and easiest detectable steroid on the market which the big names wouldn't touch with a bargepole...) in a short period of time and no one knew why and then it vanished again. Christie himself had retired and VOLUNTARILY put himself back on the drug testing list so he could compete for one indoor season in which he said he could beat the athletes he was training over 60m. In what world would the man have jeopardised his entire reputation on that? Also, the stadium you talk of was named in 1993- well before all of this even happened, but he is banned from coaching at the Olympics, for example, as a result. This is not a question of whether Christie was on drugs- I have my own thoughts on that- but the nandrolone positive was absolute, that word again, HORSESHIT. Ask any athletics person if they think he was on drugs- varying answers. Ask any about his positive test and we all agree- RUBBISH.

I'm not a British apologist- there's some drugs in our system for sure- but thankfully our testing is the best in the world so at least we can be relatively confident of a lot (not all!) of what we see. But comparing Gatlin to Ohuruogu is beyond stupid.

God, I really feel like I spend half my life explaining this stuff. The media, in desperate search of a story, absolutely fucks up public perception of athletics. It infuriates me..