World Cup 2022 sweepstake

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Indie, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oh hang on, we are both right, I have the DRC and you have... the other Congo? I can’t remember which is which though. Mine has Democratic in the name so I assume it must be an autocratic state.

I don’t know which one is famous for Um Bongo though

2. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

Um bongo um bongo they drink it in the democratic republic of the congo

3. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

58 - ANGUILLA

[​IMG]

Well, it doesn't get much worse than this. Ranked 209th out of 211 (fuck you, San Marino & Bahamas, you ain't got nothing on Anguilla) - Anguilla have only won five matches in their history (three against British Virgin Islands, one against Montserrat and one against Saint Barthelemy), and none of them in a world cup qualification tournament. Last time out they were given a pretty tricky first round tie against Nicaragua, and promptly lost 8-0 on aggregate.

160 - SIERRA LEONE

[​IMG]

Rounding off this pair of losers, Sierra Leone have attempted to qualify for a world cup 10 times, have played 40 games and won a huge 9 of them. A bit unlucky last time with a 2-2 aggregate draw against Chad seeing them pack up their hopes and wait another 4 years. Ranked 115.

4. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

87 - COSTA RICA

[​IMG]

After a relatively slow start, failing to qualify for 7 tournaments, they've qualified for 5 of the last 8. This includes a memorable 2014 appearance where they finished top of their group stage (knocking England and Italy out), then dispensing Greece in the next round. At the quarter finals, they lost on penalties to the Netherlands. 2018 was a bit more low-key, finishing bottom of their group, after a pretty straightforward qualification process. Ranked 39th

192 - KUWAIT

[​IMG]

Fairly middle of the road as far as Asian teams go, Kuwait's heyday was in the early 1980's where they qualified for the 1982 world cup. They managed two losses and draw in that tournament after landing in England's group. They also won the 1980 Asian Cup on home soil. They were going okay in the 2018 qualification process, but half way through were disqualified and automatically lost their last three games. Whoops. Ranked 156 (although were as high as 24th back in 1998)

5. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

Still got a few big European teams unpicked - Croatia, Germany, Italy & Netherlands still all yet to be chosen.

6. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus