World Cup 2022 sweepstake

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Indie, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Indie

Indie Great Tits

You can have two more, if you like. I extended the number of teams to pick from 4 to 6.

(spoiler: you'll need them)

2. Soldi

Soldi CLAP CLAP

39, 46, 49, 72 and 90 as well please

3. Indie

Indie Great Tits

33 - VIETNAM

[​IMG]

7 attempts to qualify (as a unified nation) and none executed. The 2018 qualifying campaign saw them drop out at the second qualifying stage, 3rd in their group behind Thailand and Iraq. 2022 so far is looking a bit rosier, at the same stage after 50% of games, they're currently top of their group, so they may go further than ever before. Ranked 94th.

54 - NORWAY

[​IMG]

Norway have qualified for the finals 3 times, but not since 1998, where they reached the last 16. Typically mid-table in qualifying, in 2018 they finished 4th of 6, behind Germany, Northern Ireland and Czechia. Ranked 43rd.

140 - CUBA

[​IMG]

12 attempts to qualify, and they have appeared once - back in 1938, they reached the quarter finals. 2018 qualifying was their worst attempt yet though, and they were knocked out in second round qualifying by Curacao. Ranked 179.

155 - QATAR

[​IMG]
    Congratulations! You have a guaranteed place at the world cup finals, thanks to picking out the hosts. They've never actually qualified, although they don't get far off - in 2018 they got to the final group stage, and then finished bottom. Interestingly, they're still playing in the qualifiers for 2022 (because they are also qualifiers for the Asian Cup) and they're top of their 2nd round group. Ranked 57th.

4. Penelope

Penelope Look right for CALMING INFLUENCE

Germany, Colombia and South Africa for ZenGiraffe is LUDICROUS :D

ZenGiraffe likes this.
  5. Indie

Indie Great Tits

39 - ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA

[​IMG]

11 attempts to qualify, none succeeded. Best attempt probably in 2014, but 2018 was a bit of a damp squib - they sneaked past Saint Lucia in the 2nd qualifying round but lost to Guatemala in round three. Ranked 126.

46 - NORTH KOREA

[​IMG]
    2 appearances at world cup finals to date - they reached the quarter finals in 1996 and didn't get past the group stage in 2010, losing all three matches in the process. In 2018 qualifying, they were a bit unlucky to fall at the 2nd qualifying round, finishing 2nd in the group of 5. In 2022 qualifying so far, they're in the mix - they're 4th of 5, but only 1 point separates 1st from 4th. Ranked 115.

49 - CROATIA

[​IMG]
    A surprise finalist in the last world cup, losing to France in the final, they've qualified 5 of 6 attempts and also finished third in world cup 1998. A good bet for making the tournament in 2022. Ranked 9th.

72 - IVORY COAST

[​IMG]

A contender for one of the best African teams, they qualified for three world cups in a row between 2006 and 2014, although failing to get out of the group stage each time. 2018 however saw them finish 2nd in the final stage behind qualifiers Morocco. Ranked 61.

90 - GUINEA-BISSAU

[​IMG]
    6 attempts to qualify, none succeeded so far, and prior to 2022, they'd only won one game - in 1998. 2018 qualifying saw them lose to Liberia in the first round, but 2022 they've already played, beating Sao Tome and Principe both home and away. Ranked 118.

Soldi likes this.
  6. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe Anum Rapax

I don't know what any of this means. I just know that the German team were the sexiest at the last world cup.

7. funky

funky INCAPABLE

As opposed to mine :goodgrief:

8. funky

funky INCAPABLE

ooh second chance saloon!

70 and 74 please

9. Indie

Indie Great Tits

:D

70 - BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS

[​IMG]

5 attempts to qualify, 10 games played, 0 games won. In 2018 qualifying, they were beaten at the first stage by Dominica. Ranked 208.

74 - EL SALVADOR

[​IMG]

Twice qualified for the world cup, but the last time back in 1982 and they've lost all 6 matches they've played there, scoring one goal. They do usually do ok in qualifying, having reached the last 12 stage in 2018 qualifying, but finishing bottom of their group. Ranked 68th.

Penelope likes this.
  10. funky

funky INCAPABLE

FUMING

Iguana, Penelope and Indie like this.
  11. Indie

Indie Great Tits

Normally we'd be a bit further along the qualifiers but y'know, pandemic.

We have had the last games of 2020 in the last week though, with the South American qualification tournament continuing to roll on.

It's bad news for @Madison - Peru and Bolivia are second-bottom and bottom after 4 games, both having taken one point.

Going well for Brazil (@big ron) and Argentina (@dmlaw) who are 1st and 2nd. Still 14 games to go though!

big ron likes this.
  12. Iguana

Iguana One two CHA CHA CHA

It feels like a lifetime ago that we picked countries :D

13. Indie

Indie Great Tits

This was never going to be a quick game.

And i didn't even know if everyone would be here at the end. I mean, wouldn't it be fun if @Luseth won?

14. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Did I already pick 6?

FUMMING at @ButterTart swooping in years later and bagging Spain and Italy. If memory serves I’ve got a handful of micro states, island nations and shit third world ones

ButterTart likes this.
  15. Indie

Indie Great Tits

Yeah you've already got six (although one of them is already out). Looks like your best chance in north Macedonia, who did just qualify for the euros.

Or indeed you might join the losers draw, which I'm planning in case not all numbers get picked.

Diddy likes this.
  16. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

might I trouble you to refresh my memory of my 6?

17. Indie

Indie Great Tits

They're all in the first post.

Diddy likes this.
  18. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oops :D

and holy shit at my picks
    Turks & Caicos! Sao Tome & Principe! Moldova, North Macedonia, Bangladesh, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO!!

19. Iguana

This year alone has felt like at LEAST four years

20. Iguana

He or she literally picked his or her teams and buggered off