X-Men: Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Moopy Odeon' started by monsta, Jan 23, 2015.

?

John McClane cast as The Joker?

1. 10

6.7%
  2. 9

13.3%
  3. 8

13.3%
  4. 7

26.7%
  5. 6

13.3%
  6. 5

13.3%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

13.3%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Krust

Krust User

Damn those reviews - this was the one movie I was looking forward to this year

2. ButterTart

ButterTart Welcome to die

I really wanted this to be good. I'll go and see it anyway and just gloss over the shit bits - I mean, it surely can't be as bad as The Last Stand, can it?

3. Pipo

Pipo Gossip is the devil’s telephone, best to hang up!

anything is better than the Last Stand and Wolverine Origins.

EDIT: The only good thing about the Last Stand for me was that they made Kitty a main character.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Last Stand was fun, garbage but fun garbage. This seems to be similar.

5. ameraal

ameraal is this too much?

i can't believe they've fucked this franchise if those reviews are true. for me everything after last stand and before days of the future past has been sketchy at best. and i absolutely loathe jennifer lawrence as mystique.

6. Pipo

isn't she just basically playing KATNISS with blue makeup?

7. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Ok so I'm gonna put my thoughts into spoilers apart from OMG I was practically wanking over Michael Fassbender's Polish daddy working in the steelworks look *splash emoji*

It was so enjoyable and felt most like MY X-Men - lets just ignore Katniss Darkholme because I'm so over that bitch.

The New Mutants were all bloody brilliant, I even enjoyed Sansa Stark in all her wooden glory. THE ACTUAL PHOENIX RAPTOR at the end :disco: Kurt was everything and spare a thought for poor Jubilee. She wasn't even named on screen and didn't get to show her powers but she fucking shone like the little CHINESE FIREWORK in her one minute cameo.

Apocalypse, let's face it was SHIT. The prosthetics were absolutely dreadful in places. Yet he assembled an unbelievable set of QUEENS as his Horsemen. They were all resoundingly mute throughout (FURIOUS ABOUT THIS) but finally the horrifying memory of Halle Berry's Storm has been erased. I cannot even with Betsy. AMAZING. If only she was allowed to speak - even for that one psychic knife monologue.

So there were a lot of faults, but I just found it so much fun. I squealed when I saw them in their Jim Lee inspired costumes at the end.

Oh and the Wolverine scene was completely unnecessary. Hugh Jackman is really starting to age. Just get Old Man Logan over and done with and get X-23 drafted in.

8. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

And I completely believe the conspiracy theory that Disney were paying reviewers to give it terrible reviews.

9. Pipo

I read that

The mall scene was supposed to be longer and Jubielle was supposed to show her powers in it (No wonder Lana Connor said that unlike in the cartoon her powers in the movie would look kinda like fireworks) but guess what, it was CUT SHORT and will ~possible~ end up a bonus material once the BluRay is out, something similar to what they did with Rogue. POOR ROGUE :(

10. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

We need the full Cyclops and Jean go shopping for Dazzler vinyls scene RESTORED. Fuck anything else.

11. ButterTart

ButterTart Welcome to die

With you on the Mystique thing. I don't like how the character was shoehorned into the new films, to be honest. Mystique works best as a pseudo-lesbian ice queen, and Rebecca Romijn had that down pat - Jennifer Lawrence (Who isn't anywhere near as hot as people would have you believe) plays her too much like a flawed brat.

12. Jark

Jark User

WHAT A MOVIE!

LOVED IT!

Jean Grey is quite simply life itself.

13. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I will be DEAD if they do Dark Phoenix next.

14. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Also this is giving me so much life RN
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_kniQrk9jw0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Meh it was sad. Compared to Days where the action was all amazing and the movie flowed properly this was just one big lumbering mess. The cast was spot on and Kurt shone but it was all in service of a terrible villain and such a weak plot. How many more times is Magneto gonna turn and then get turned through the power of friendship.

I would have forgiven it had they had good action but it was all a show of powers for a few seconds and then move on.

The Quicksilver scene was cool but also a shadow of the previous movie.

I'm not angry just disappointed that they produced something so weak. What a waste.

16. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Oh and the Wolverine scene was quite awful, Hugh Jackman is obviously over it and it was piss poor of them to use him in such a half arsed way.

17. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I'm legit fuming that fucking CALIBAN appeared to get more lines than Storm, Betsy, Angel and Jubilee COMBINED.

18. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Oh yeah I liked Caliban, he had personality and nice eyes.

Took me a second to realize what Essex industries was.

19. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

They are SURELY going to go with Bryan Cranston as Sinister? There's been so much buzz already.

I loved the little hint to Proteus too.

20. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Yeah but Proteus needs a Colossus.

Oh and I thought the way Moira just shrugged Charles wiping her memories was awful "you just mind raped me but I'll make googly eyes with you".

21. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

That mind wipe should have obviously revealed that iconic Western Isles accent! :disco:

22. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

I'm hoping they stick to basics for the next movie, you have a good cast maybe add one or two more and do a proper X-Men story.

23. Pipo

So the next movie is set in the 90's, hopefully they keep the bright shiny new uniforms and they bring back Jubilee. (And add Gambit, a decent Rogue and Dazzler)

24. Jark

Jark User

Yeah because what this series needs is more mutants!

Stick with Xavier, Jean, Magneto, Cyclops, Storm and Nightcrawler, get rid of Mystique, make Moira MacTaggert President and then we're talking.

25. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Hmm, I didn't expect this to be as good as DOFP (and it most definitely doesn't come close), but I did expect it to at least have more of a story than it does. It's a series of largely very good scenes with very little through line. If your a new mutant and your name isn't Jean, Kurt or Scott you basically don't get to speak and Apocalypse was such a rubbish villain. I struggle with all powerful bad guys in general (they have to be just powerful enough to be a threat, but not so much they can't be easily defeated once the protagonists get their shit together) but he spent most of the movie talking and then just sort of....nothing much at all really.

Ok, enough moaning. It's still a good, verging on very good, movie. It looked very good, it was funny and a lot of the performances (particularly Mcavoy and J Law) finally clicked for me in this one, having not really worked at all prior to now. Most of the new mutants were good in their roles, but Sophie Turner was excellent. I'm not a big fan of her and she was definitely helped a lot by having much more to work with than Famke, but her big scene was the scene of the movie. Rose Byrne was pleasingly used SPARINGLY, though I think my favourite part of the whole thing was HER being the one who unleashed him (unwittingly, of course). It felt good, even if that was completely irrelevant and unintentional.

26. ameraal

i thought this was a bit of a mess to be honest. i did enjoy it however.

psylocke was a bit rubbish and pretty much all the characters had something that bothered me about them - whether costume or actor. it's 2016 why do nightcrawler, beast, mystique all look like they're from a 90s fantasy movie?

on a brighter side: the opening sequence was great, i like that jean is being pipped as the most powerful mutant (i'd kill for a proper dark phoenix movie), there were a lot of cool action and superpower bits. quicksilver was amazing again but it did feel like an expanded version of his stint in the previous one.

the biggest revelation, as ever, was magneto. his change of heart was a bit rushed but apart from that he was magnificent. i love fassbender so very much.

27. ameraal

reading back others' comments i totally agree with most sentiments (apary from it looking good - i thought for the most part it didn't bring anything new to the table and stuff like cerebro looked really basic or the whole bit in germany looked shit.

the wolverine bit was done very poorly - from the head gear he kept on for an unreasonably long time, to the way he moved, to the security camera footage.

yes, add apocalypse to the rubbish looking mutants.

i guess i just wanted to be wowed visually after the last movie with blink's brilliant superpower visuals and the appearance of quicksilver.

28. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I really enjoyed it actually- totally silly but then AREN'T THEY ALL? The only bit got me was the MASSIVE plot hole that

Nightcrawler got them into that plane where there was an electric field that stopped any of their powers working. So how did no one notice them on the plane when they opened the doors (when surely no one would have been STUPID enough to turn the field itself off before checking that all of the other mutants were still out cold, when it was supposedly only Jean's powers that were keeping them invisible in the first place?

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  29. Jark

Jark User

Internationally this opened with slightly more than Future Past at 103m. Quite pleased about THAT

30. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I enjoyed this but the reference to Empire Strikes Back made me think of Captain America: Civil War which was ultimately better overall.

Storm's accent was so rubbish I can see why she barely had any lines and after Peter Beale's shirtless scenes he wasn't needed for much else. I did like the glint in Oscar Isaac's eye when he propositioned Peter Beale. Poor Olivia Munn and her lack of dialogue and characterisation, I don't even know what her drag name was. If she turns up in the next film hopefully she can be given some anti-depressants and turned into a goodie.

Magneto being able to tear bridges in half in America when he's in Egypt was pretty impressive but surely the US Army weren't so incapacitated they could have razed the whole city with a bomb of some sort.

31. Beryl

Beryl Boy stop, step awaaaaay.

32. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Average as all hell. It didn't pick up until the last half hour. Wanted to see more of Psylocke.

I think the problem is that the X-Men universe is just too well-established to ever be good in a 2 hour film. The history is too rich and the characters are too complex. Not like, say, Transformers.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  33. Pipo

34. cwej

cwej User

Ok this is not my kind of thing, but I could just about bear the first hour of this... then it just went on and on and on... I couldn't care less about anyone.

Suomi likes this.
  35. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Thanks for your timely input!

Look forward to a more in depth analysis on the blog!

Zu-Klara, Jark, Diddy and 1 other person like this.
  36. cwej

cwej User

What's with all the bitchy comments recently? I'm sorry I didn't like a movie you liked... big deal.

Suomi likes this.
  37. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

This is just like when I insinuated Robotboy was a Nazi and he left Moopy. You make one little joke...

monsta and cwej like this.
  38. cwej

cwej User

It's about the third time he's done it recently, which is weird, because I'd never noticed any issues. I much prefer it when people just come out with it rather than making bitchy little jibes. It's so Moopy c.2010

39. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

Well, seeing as it's been resurrected...

I thought this movie was the poorest of the new ensemble movies.

I am however pleased that the results are broadly in the shape of a normal distribution.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  40. Jark

Jark User

Yeah, Moopy has been one long tea party for the last six years.

monsta likes this.