Yentl

Discussion in 'The Classics - Films' started by Marilyn, Apr 4, 2015.

?

Why settle for just a piece of sky?

1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

40.0%
  3. 8

20.0%
  4. 7

40.0%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Marilyn

Marilyn User

Moopy can you hear me?

Following on from my hugely successful (:eyes:) classic song threads, let's see what Moopy thinks of a film I just saw for the first time, Barbra Streisand's Yentl.

[​IMG]

Having been a longtime fan of Queen Babs as a singer, I am shamefully only now just getting around to seeing her films, having only seen Funny Girl (amazing) and What's Up Doc (very good) previously.

Despite knowing the soundtrack, I still wasn't sure whether Yentl would be good or bad. The storyline sounds terribly boring on paper. Even with all the genderfucking, it's hard to make a film about Jewish study seem interesting.

Of course it isn't really about that at all, and all the leads give wonderful performances. While not expecting a comedy, I did think it was going to be a little more humourous (Babs' wig aside). Still, a solid film all round. A lesser actress than Barbra and it could have been a snooze.

The revelation of the movie has to be how HOT I found Mandy Patinkin. He could argue over my Torah ANYDAY.

2. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Hello, Dolly is where it's at! :disco:

I've actually not seen Yentl. I need to get round to it.

3. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Hello, Dolly is where it's at! :disco:

I've actually not seen Yentl. I need to get round to it.

4. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

I haven't seen this for YEARS. I don't think I could rate it based on a 20 year old memory.

5. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I tried to watch this as a teenager but it wasn't gay enough for me. I might appreciate it more now.

I noticed Prince Of Tides is on Netflix, so I might give that a go too.

6. Marilyn

Marilyn User

I'm going for the sure to be EXCELLENT Nuts next on my Barbra film odyssey.

What was with the Oscar reaction to Yentl? I feel a Best Director nod for Babs wasn't ever guaranteed, but Amy Irving the only acting nomination? Who would watch this film and think SHE was the actress in it who deserved recognition? Anyway, Barbra remains unbothered* with her 2 statues.

*I'm sure she was actually hugely bothered

7. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

It was the year after ET, maybe the Academy though Amy's nomination would be a consolation to Spielberg?

8. Marilyn

Marilyn User

This was also the year Cher lost for Silkwood - what a year of injustice (not that I've actually seen the performance that beat her)

I guess it's an honour to just be nominated :)

9. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Linda Hunt won for playing a man, a year after Julie Andrew had been nominated for playing a woman playing a man playing a woman, so I can understand if there was some gender recognition fatigue at play

10. Marilyn

Marilyn User

The Oscars are so TRANSPHOBIC.

11. Marilyn

Marilyn User

(towards Barbra only)

12. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

The film isn't terribly memorable to me, but I'm always surprised that Moopy's vox queens never really rave about 'A Piece Of Sky'. Talk about a MONEY NOTE.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R8gxezCBscA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe it's too white.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  13. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I've not seen it for years. But it's very much a 6 out of 10 in my memory.

14. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I really like Funny Girl, which for the first half is a proper star-making, tour de force comedic performance. It does sag terribly after 'Don't Rain On My Parade' though which is a shame.

Prince of Tides is very good too and surprisingly gritty in places, although it's also such a massive vanity project in others. The Mirror Has Two Faces even moreso, but watchable in a featherweight rom com sort of way, and worth it for a lovely performance from Lauren Baccall.

Nuts I mostly remember for her absolutely chewing the scenery, and the unintentional comedy of her being violently raped by a pre-Airplane Leslie Nielsen.

Up The Sandbox is one of the weirdest films I've ever seen, but interesting.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  15. Marilyn

Marilyn User

I love that Barbra's two greatest vocal performances both take place in films with her character on a boat heading to America. I half expected the camera to spin around during A Piece Of Sky to reveal the Statue of Liberty.

Don't Rain On My Parade was my favourite Barbra song (and still is) long before I saw Funny Girl, and knowing vaguely of the film's plot I imagined the song was about becoming an actress, and the "Hey Mr. Arnstein, here I AMMMM!" bit was about the character nailing an audition or performance or something, so when I saw the film and realised that it's about some MAN, who she abandons her career to be with, it was very disappointing. And you're right, the film is downhill from there.

16. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Her voice has always sounded kinda generic for me so I could never get on board with her. Great power and clarity, but just kinda boring sounding.

17. Commotion

Commotion User

I saw this years ago and it's a decent film.

Nothing related to this film but about 6 years ago I was in Helsinki with some friends. We took a ferry to the island of Suomilinnen (spelling?).
    When we arrived back as my friend disembarked from the boat he skipped and said:
    "Papa can you hear me?
    Um did that sound very gay to you?"

I reassured him that he remained threateningly butch - like Pam St Clement.