You brought this countdown to my attention: The X-Tina Rate Results

Discussion in 'Divas' started by Loufoque, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

Babes my ENTIRE LIFE is an American Girl In Paris PART ONE

I FELL IN DIOR

2. funky

funky INCAPABLE

So get ready for PART TWO cos IMMA COMIN' :disco:

3. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

*grips funky's hand*

GO GET OUR GIRL :disco:

4. Loufoque

5. funky

funky INCAPABLE

*trips over on grand stairwell*

6. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

7. Loufoque

2. YOU LOST ME
    Average: 8.57
    Year: 2010
    Chart peak: #120 (US), #153 (UK)

[​IMG]

Signature look: HEARTBROKEN
    Screams out of 10: 10
    Collateral damage: The remainders of Christina's humanity
    Contest moment: n/a

I genuinely don't know where to begin.

You Lost Me stands as, quite possibly, the greatest female vocal performance of the decade.

The song starts with the most empowered female in the game lying broken on the floor. "I am done. Smoking gun. We've lost it all. The love is gone." The desolation and devastation is palpable. Christina has been ravaged, and for once, it's happened involuntarily. Her heart is categorically, definitively, irrevocably broken.

From the fragile first line, the song builds and builds, as Christina ruefully evokes her lover's infidelity, finally hitting its stride as the second chorus kicks in. Her reading of the line "I FEEL like our world's been INFECTED" is, without question, the crowning glory of her career. A primal howl so vast, so cavernous that it's difficult to find the words to describe it. straightorbroken would say that in this moment, she creates a new emotion; I'd go one step further and say that she actually destroys one. Love. In the deep, dark emotional desert of Christina's larynx, she utterly massacres any last feeling she might have had left. It's the defiant sound of a queen scorned, and unwilling to accept any more.

Believe me, I get it. As a queen who's spent the last 12 months being battered in every way imaginable, I am nearly where Christina was. Empty, exhausted, infected. You lie on the floor crying inside as you're fucked raw by your man, knowing full well that it's not good for you, but you do it anyway. Then one day, you break. No one can say when or how it happens, but you know when you have a You Lost Me moment. It might not be the day you pack your shit and take the Eurostar back to London, but it's the moment where the spell breaks ("And we had magic/and this is tragic"). Sia's writing has never been better.

But most of the credit must go to Christina. She doesn't sing this song; she inhabits it. She wrings every last drop of emotion she has to give, and leaves you feeling completely spent as the five minute mark rolls around.

In many ways, it's an utter crime that arguably her finest moment was also her biggest commercial failure. Chalk it up to wrong place, wrong time. Because if there was any justice in the world, You Lost Me would have been a worldwide #1 for weeks on end.

That said, there's something quite nice about the song remaining our little secret. The thought of it becoming as ubiquitous or overplayed as Someone Like You sends shivers down my spine. You Lost Me is too special a song to be massacred by some braindead wannabe on X-Factor.

They can keep their Halos, their Bleeding Loves, their Set Fire To The Rains. All remarkable songs in their own right, but none of which come close the the emotional enormity of this track.

And if you "don't get it" then, babe, you lost me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qTCMhqs_nhY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11s Loufoque, Apocalypt Flyer, POP!, SDF, Pipo, Lars, dUb, Beryl, funky, Mugatu, ameraal
    10s Christian, Johnkm, straightorbroken, Jark, Raining on Me, supermassive, Phoenix, Raspberry Swirl, Natalie Tauziat's Analpony, Kala
    0s Alex, Agnetha, That One

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  8. Loufoque

I can't embed the American Idol performance, but has she ever looked more like a star?

My favourite performance, though, is VH1 Storytellers, where she nails it vocally.

9. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

It's not quite raw enough to really get to me, and it's slightly ruined in the context of the album by seguing into I Hate Boys, but it's a good song and it has been known to give me that tingly sinking feeling of despair from time to time.

But I'm glad my fave won :disco:

10. ceorl

ceorl User

It's good but nothing special. "Hurt" is leagues ahead.
    The most Overrated song on Moopy.

Thx

11. Jark

Jark User

I would agree that Hurt is (a) the better song and (b) her best vocal performance bar none. But that hardly takes away from You Lost Me which is SUPREME.

12. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

So is Fighter #1? :manson:

13. ceorl

ceorl User

Not to mention "Hurt" has the superior video as well.
    Her best output in all aspects.

But really? Fighter??!

14. Satan

Satan Likes his boys insane

It's a fantastic song but it's a tad overrated around here. I much prefer Hurt. And it's not even the best ballad on Bionic (hello Lift Me Up!). I'm much happier with Fighter taking the crown!

15. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Glad someone agrees!

16. Pipo

Pipo WEAR MY KISS

Fighter at #1? I'm mansoning ALL OF YOU IRL

and yes, Lift Me Up is GRAND but the album version is cack, it's all about the Haiti Tribute thing version for me. MARVELLOUS.

17. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

Well Fighter is a well deserved albeit surprising number 1. I guess it probably did it as its a song most people really like, rather than loon over, and very few hate it...

18. Kevin

Kevin Niet meer zo lang geleden

I NEVER thought Fighter would even be in the top 3. Maybe that's just because I don't think it's very special.

19. straightorbroken

straightorbroken from the sound of sirens

I kind of agree with you Louf, she RE-INTRODUCES us to a RE-CONSTRUCTED love. It's like the sheer force of her hopelessness uncontrollably swerves into something more positive than any global infection currently known to man (or 1 in 7 London gays). It sounds like it must have been an outer body experience for her to sing in such a hysterical manner. The final "babe", with its gentility and then that poignant intake of breath, as if STILL giving him a chance to repent, renders the final "you lost me" conclusive and the softness conveys her letting go of hope in a positive as in positive way. It's perfect. The intensity is so magnificent, it's like poetry. Sia's songs have always been special, but attaching them to Christina's voice of all seasons, like a feather caught in a tsunami, is spellbinding. For once, soaring all the way to the top isn't showing off, it's just being honest. I don't believe in dishing out 11s, but I should have made an exception here.

20. POP!

POP! Across that county line

"Fighter" doesn't strike me as a #1 either. Not that I don't love it but I never pegged it as a Moopy favorite.

"Lift Me Up" is excellent but I think "You Lost Me" is in another league on an emotional level like Lou says.

21. straightorbroken

straightorbroken from the sound of sirens

The absolute lunacy of the times when I've acutely/indulgently related to both those ballads is too embarrassing to go into detail about, but those songs should have both been monster hits.

22. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I'm shocked by the number one. Clearly there are a lot of gays on moopy in need of some female empowerment. No wonder the Spice Girls never fucking go away on here.

You Lost Me is seminal. Epic. An absolute monster of a ballad. It's everything that a ballad should be in 2012. And there aren't enough of them for my liking. Sia needs to stop playing around with Guetta and shit rappers and get back to making this sort of deranged beauty. Although from the snippet on Heartbrokentina's new album, it seems like we might have our wish

23. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

is Louf not feeling empowered enough to finish the countdown? :(

(one of the best threads ever, btw)

24. Loufoque

Thought I would forget? I REMEMBER

This countdown will come to a legendary conclusion this evening

25. Loufoque

1. FIGHTER
    Average: 8.68
    Year: 2003
    Chart peak: #20 (US), #3 (UK)

[​IMG]

Signature look: The most EMPOWERED and EMPOWERING COCKROACH who just REFUSES to DIE :disco:
    Screams out of 10: 10
    Collateral damage: VoR
    Cuntiest moment: The entire SONG

You know what? When I found out that Fighter had beaten out every other Christina single in the game to triumph in the most iconic of countdowns, I was a little disappointed. Is Fighter really the best song this living legend has ever made? Is it the most legendary track in her iconic back cat? No and no.

But then I thought about the track that it had narrowly beaten to the top. You Lost Me leaves us with Christina lying on the floor, emotionally spent, battered and burnt out. And amazing as that song is, that is NOT the Christina that we know and DESPISE! Because if a Christina track doesn't leave you with an overwhelming distaste at her own self-satisfaction and sense of superiority, it's NOT a Christina track!

Fighter reigns supreme as perhaps the most arrogant empowerment anthem of the last decade. Survivor comes a close second thanks to the sheer scale of Beyoncé's megalomania. But there is a certain dramatic irony in listening Michelle Williams voxalise her empowerment from inside a rubby dinghy, when we know quite well that Beyoncé and Kelly wouldn't only have thrown her overboard quicker than one of Ms Tina's ensembles goes out of style (IMMEDIATELY in most cases!), but they would have held her head under water just to ensure that survival was, in fact, IMPOSSIBLE.

Fighter has no such irony. In fact, it's like the bastard offspring of Christina's world-shattering hubris, her toxic perosnality, empowering work-ethic, with a bit of Dave Navarro's electric guitar thrown in for good measure. For that reason alone, it is without doubt THE single most empowering song that has ever been unleashed on an embattled universe.

The middle-eight alone could empower several teen suicide risks back to full health, and even resurrect a couple of the Gaga loons who topped themselves last year (you never heard of X-T fans jumping off bridges, did you Gags?)

:disco:

That this song appeared at what was arguably the peak of Christina's powers makes it all the more worthy a winner. It was at this moment that she surpassed Britney to become the reigning Princess of Pop - and, although short-lived, it would be a Golden Era for queens everywhere.

The song truly comes alive in a live setting, as the video below demonstrates. Christina absolutely destroys the stage, her critics, and indeed the entire universe with her inimitable combination of a bad attitude, bad vocal technique and general bad intentions towards anyone not wearing a Godtina Aguilegend T-shirt.

Fighter has taken on a special meaning for me over the last few days, and for that reason amongst many, I am and will always remain a LOYAL and DEVOTED FIGHTER! HA! SAY!

[​IMG]

11s Tischlampe, Dance In The Dark, Phoenix
    10s Johnkm, Rhythmbandit, Jark, Lars Beryl, Dinlo, Raspberry Swirl, Halli, Dr Lecter, Kala

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GKCWGmE1Y60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

26. Loufoque

A RATEROSPECTIVE

1 Fighter
    2 You Lost Me
    3 Genie In A Bottle
    4 Dirrty
    5 Hurt

6 The Voice Within
    7 Not Myself Tonight
    8 Moves Like Jagger
    9 Nobody Wants To Be Lonely
    10 Beautiful

11 What A Girl Wants
    12 I Turn To You
    13 Can't Hold Us Down
    14 Lady Marmalade
    15 Come On Over Baby (All I Want Is You)

16 Candyman
    17 Reflection
    18 Woohoo
    19 Ain't No Other Man
    20 Tell Me

21 Keeps Getting' Better
    22 Tilt Ya Head Back
    23 Express
    24 Car Wash
    25 Castle Walls

26 A Song For You
    27 The Christmas Song

27. Loufoque

The best performance of Fighter in recent times, featuring Christina's best WADDLE and a gospel choir just to make the song ever louder and more OTT :D

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xq6zck_live-durant-le-show-de-the-voice-saison-2-avec-sa-team-sur-fighter_music"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xq6zck_live-durant-le-show-de-the-voice-saison-2-avec-sa-team-sur-fighter_music" target="_blank">Live durant le show de The Voice Saison 2 avec...</a> <i>par <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Christina-News" target="_blank">Christina-News</a></i>

28. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

Lou - HATS OFF to a TREMENDOUS COUNTDOWN.

Moopy - FIGHTER AHEAD OF YOU LOST ME? Oh very dear.

29. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

Possibly my FAVOURITE countdown in recent times (the Mariah one was more epic in scale but had loads more filler so it was only a 12454/10). A couple of really odd results - I'm surprised Candyman and Woohoo were so low, and let's face it the winner should ONLY have been Dirrty (or possibly Genie In A Bottle), but CUNT HEARTS OFF to Louf because you've done this vile epitome PROUD :disco:

30. Dinlo

Dinlo Gypsy Princess

Agreed, this is quite a WONDERFUL countdown. I do especially love the write-up of Fighter. If I wasn't feeling it as a winning song before, I certainly am now.

31. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I may hate this bitch more than Leona, Sharon Osbourne and Alfie Allen combined, but I have to tip my hat and say this was a FABULOUS read. I genuinely envy your writing skills. I'm sure you earn far more than I ever will in your job, but your financial security is journalism's LOSS.

32. funky

funky INCAPABLE

That write up for Fighter was so good I'm almost convinced moopy made the right choice

33. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

This will be forever remembered…

:D

Great countdown. Slightly surprised at the winner and I genuinely thought "Come On Baby (All I Want Is You)" would have been a lot higher. Her descent from the stairs during the middle eight in the video is essentially how I have modelled my stair walk when I'm having a night on the tiles. I don't go to the toilet to take a piss, I go to the toilet to make a RE-ENTERANCE.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  34. POP!

POP! Across that county line

Agreed - tremendous countdown.

"Fighter" might not even be in my X-Tina singles top ten but I definitely see its merit and kind of get why it won. IMO it's Janet's "Black Cat" with some much needed BALLS and VOX

I'm curious where "Your Body" would have ranked.

35. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I love Fighter! I didn't actually vote, but I only would have increased its lead by giving it an 11. It's a particularly good song to yell along with when you're pissed off, and I often am.

36. Devil

Devil I Need A House

FABULOUS countdown Lou. Each write-up was a brilliant read.

The #1 is good, though a little odd to imagine as #1. I guess it offends less people than she normally does with with her tracks :D

37. Pipo

Pipo WEAR MY KISS

The next time we do this (which will include YOUR BODY and BLANK PAGE) they better BE inside the Top 5

38. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Fighter is her most appealing song across all boards, it's empowering, cunty but not too much and it had a video on the same level as Your Body in terms of fabulousness.

Someone please put this in Moopy gold where it belongs :disco:

39. Loufoque

Thanks boys :disco:

40. Loufoque

Thanks VoR. I am actually considering my options re: journalism. My job is well-paid, sometimes interesting but ultimately unfulfilling. I'm weighing up my options at the moment (take another job in HK, or go back to London where I will freelance to make money but write on the side).