2021 Mayoral and Local Elections

Shaun Bailey is a fucking moron. Such an awful candidate. Every single thing he said in the campaign highlighted his utter incompetence.

Shaun Bailey is a fucking moron. Such an awful candidate. Every single thing he said in the campaign highlighted his utter incompetence.
Imagine what would have happened if they'd nominated someone competent.

Imagine what would have happened if they'd nominated someone competent.
I'd like to think that if the opponent had been, say, Justine Greening, that Labour's vote would have been more likely to bother going to the polling station.

Shaun Bailey is a candidate that continually reminds people that he was once homeless, and also thought a scheme that required homeless people to save £5,000 for a deposit was a good idea.

I'm on Sky News. Why are they they showing Lib Dems and Other for Scottish Parliament, when the greens were already bigger than the Lib Dems and have only increased their numbers? They can FUCK OFF

I'm on Sky News. Why are they they showing Lib Dems and Other for Scottish Parliament, when the greens were already bigger than the Lib Dems and have only increased their numbers? They can FUCK OFF

The all powerful Lib Dems with their connections. Jo Swinson is obviously secretly in control of Sky

I'm genuinely slightly surprised the Greens aren't bigger than the Lib Dems in England yet. The latter feel like such an irrelevance.

They're still an afterthought on the news, despite a strong fourth place.

I'm genuinely slightly surprised the Greens aren't bigger than the Lib Dems in England yet. They feel like such an irrelevance.
Up north maybe but down South less so. Look at Cambridgeshire and swings in places like Surrey

From the by-elections thread:

CHESSINGTON SOUTH:

Andrew MacKinlay (LD) 1,387
Sue Towner (Conservative) 1,278
Charles Bamford (Labour) 451
Michelle Akintoye (Residents) 378
Adrian Lulham (Green) 139
Undertaking Director Brunskill (OMRLP) 16
Colonel Cramps (OMRLP) 14
Captain Coily (OMRLP) 13
Agent Chinners (OMRLP) 12
Baron Von Achenbach (OMRLP) 8
Duke Diddy Dodd (OMRLP) 8
Italo Savastio (TUSC) 7
Casual Count of Corinthian (OMRLP) 6
Kingstonian Newt (OMRLP) 6
Landlord Rover (OMRLP) 3
Landlady Lucky (OMRLP) 2
Lady Dave Pither (OMRLP) 2
Sam Joshua Squatch (OMRLP) 1
Rev. Robbie The Radical Recyclist (OMRLP) 1

www.kingston.gov.uk/news/article/119/andrew-mackinlay-elected-to-kingston-council-after-chessington-south-by-election

My brother was telling me he heard someone from Hartlepool on the radio saying he'd voted Tory because the Tories gave them 9 food banks and Labour never gave them a single one. There is no fighting this level of stupid.
:goodgrief:

Do we think Khan or Burnham will ever come back to Parliament, like Boris did as a route to be party leader?

I guess it's hard to give up viable power as mayor to lose a general election.

I do think Labour need to give up on fighting for the former Red Wall in much the same way that the US Democrats don't put as much effort into former strongholds like IOWA and OHIO any more.

Demographics change. Move with it, instead of having an endless fucking existential freak-out about it.

Rev. Robbie The Radical Recyclist must be devastated tonight.

My brother was telling me he heard someone from Hartlepool on the radio saying he'd voted Tory because the Tories gave them 9 food banks and Labour never gave them a single one. There is no fighting this level of stupid.
Although there was an older woman from Hartlepool on there who said she couldn't understand the logic of feeling deprived and ignored and then voting for the people who've deprived and ignored them for the last 11 years. I like her, she can live.

Burnham is 100% going to have another go. He all but admitted it today.

I really want to like him, but his record on LGBT voting is worryingly poor.

I do think Labour need to give up on fighting for the former Red Wall in much the same way that the US Democrats don't put as much effort into former strongholds like IOWA and OHIO any more.

Demographics change. Move with it, instead of having an endless fucking existential freak-out about it.
The thing with Labour is, WHERE is the stronghold? Where HAVE they improved on their result? Even in London it was a LOT closer than expected.

Now the Greens have a bit of MOMENTUM I really hope MAGID MAGID gets involved a bit again. Back in the Derbyshire/Sheffield BUBBLE I could easily see him getting elected if he stood in Sheffield. The Greens won the Hillsborough seat in the council and he’s seemingly popular away from the backwater villages and I feel he could really PUSH the Greens even further.

Yup. Their obsession with pandering to the morons is a lost cause. Focus on the educated classes, which is the line most modern political division lies. Become modern and absorb the current left wing social issues.

Labour haven't worked out where the demographic changes benefit them yet. The Northern towns aren't actually fertile ground for left-wing politics following the demise of organised labour. Essentially, they need to follow the US Democrats by targeting the suburbs where younger progressive voters have been priced out of the cities and which would have been considered traditional Conservative territory.

This. Focus on Wales and Cornwall for a start, because they did very well in those areas. Focus on the North West, West Yorkshire, the Midlands, East Anglia and London as well. They've an opportunity to consolidate or convert with some attractive (any) policies.

Reactions: GNL
The problem is, their base are young educated which move into already safe seats to make them safer, so it isn't a winning strategy with the current electoral system

Rev. Robbie The Radical Recyclist must be devastated tonight.
The only person to vote for him, was likely himself.

0_Colonel-Cramps-1.jpg

Reactions: COB
They've just had their best ever local elections in Wales, so start there.
But still, surely they just can’t count on Wales in a general election? I mean Blyth Valley and then Hartlepool going to the tories doesn’t spell GOOD NEWS for the left in the north east.

Equally I think a LOT of left winged voters, such as myself, are gravitating towards different parties, mainly the Greens. So as a result Labour are losing seats from BOTH sides.

I hope you enjoyed my drunk-attempt at being serious-rant.

Reactions: VoR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom