2021 UK vs US

Which are you enjoying more?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cwej

User
Settle a debate i’m having with a friend.. so far which are you enjoying more?

I'm following both but there's no competition. The UK one is just so much fresher and more fun.

Watching both. Not seen the latest US one, so hopefully it will pick up when they finally kick someone off.

It’s hard to be objective as we’re always going to relate to the UK one more but right now I really look forward to the UK episodes whilst I’m finding the US episodes a bit of a SLOG.

I’m watching and enjoying both.
I thought most of the first season of UK queens to be rather awful and amateurish. The new season is a step up, but in general the American queens have more star quality whereas the Brits are more ’odd’.

I’m enjoying both, the US cast has more polish and experience they deliver looks and lip syncs.

The UK is an improvement on season 1 which was quite rough. The judging has been bizarre to me and some of the looks are still cheap.

I’m watching and enjoying both.
I thought most of the first season of UK queens to be rather awful and amateurish. The new season is a step up, but in general the American queens have more star quality whereas the Brits are more ’odd’.

I think this is fair and what my friend is arguing. He says the UK one is 'cheap' and 'amateurish' and 'embarrassing'... :D

I've told him to go watch the first few seasons of US one again and see how that one looked too.

I’ll always prefer personality over just LOOKS, Kamora looked stunning this episode but literally had NOTHING ELSE, Gotmikk has a suitcase full of ludicrously expensive gowns but leaves me utterly COLD.

I’ll always prefer personality over just LOOKS, Kamora looked stunning this episode but literally had NOTHING ELSE, Gotmikk has a suitcase full of ludicrously expensive gowns but leaves me utterly COLD.

i think there's something to be said for the fact that we've now somewhere in the region of 250 queens in the American one and only 20 in the UK, so we haven't used up all our best personalities yet.

That is of course true, but somehow I don’t really find some of the big personalities of (whether British or American) all that interesting at all.

Absolutely no contest.

The US one is just so polished now that it must make it so inaccesible to so many queens. The cost of those gowns on what is essentially the first runway.

Meanwhile I DIE at just how homemade and ropey DRUK is but has the personality that transcends everything. Plus Alan Carr, Michelle aside, is legit the best judge this show has ever had.

The UK contestants often have an intellect and self-deprecation that I appreciate. Yes, they look raggedy, but it makes for a better show than 10 Queens trying to get a meme or catchphrase out of their run.

Last edited:
The fact that the US series has taken 4 episodes before sending a queen home is testament to how much of a slog it has been.

I watched both episodes this week back to ban and it’s REALLY jarring!

A few episodes in, I still feel that they are completely different shows. I would say I'm enjoying the US version more, just because it's more like eating candy. The UK version is like eating a XL saveloy at 4am after a night out on the piss.

Reactions: dUb
The current UK series is the best since All Stars 2 but I think that means the US one is getting an exceptionally hard rap just because it's running alongside it and suffers from comparison. The current US season is far more enjoyable to me than Seasons 10 and 11 were, but the way SOME QUEENS are going on about it on social media you'd think it was All Stars 1 level bad.

The UK isn't AS2 levels (let's be honest that's GOD TIER and will never be topped) but it's up there with prime US drag race, ie: seasons 4-6. The standard of the queens is strong, they're likeable, the drama is bitchy without being outright aggressive and uncomfortable to watch, there's been plenty of shock eliminations and drama that doesn't feel overly produced/constructed, and we're only a third through and still have the literal GAG OF THE CENTURY of a worldwide pandemic hitting filming to come.

I would say I'm enjoying the US version more, just because it's more like eating candy. The UK version is like eating a XL saveloy at 4am after a night out on the piss.
The accuracy

Sometimes AS2 comparisons are thrown around a bit willy-nilly. The level of talent and stunting in the current UK season is nowhere near AS2. Even Coco Montrese was more iconic in Ep 1 of that season than any of the Brit queens.

Is USA just running out of queens?

Also I would love a cross franchise All Stars.

I don’t think they’re running out of competent queens, it’s just that we’ve seen it all by now.

Ok so what would people say is the main difference between USA and UK drag race? What are the British ones giving us that we haven't seen from American queens?

Apart from Ginny Lemon.

I prefer the UK version BY FAR - Tayce and Tia are two of my favourite Drag Race contestants in YEARS, closely followed by several other members of the cast.
That Tayce is actually BOMBING in the eyes of the judges, but somehow seems to be seen a FRONT RUNNER by the majority of viewers really is a remarkable type of witchcraft. You'd think her Memories lip sync was a CHALLENGE WIN!

The UK version really needs more polish on the runway however. There's no denying a lot of the looks are a BIT flimsy. Bimini's devil look this week is a really good example - a BIT more polish (ie the version they posted on Instagram :D) and it really would have been a properly stunning look.

I mean you’d hope so anyway, no other queens get the opportunity to go away mid season and work on their critiques/weaknesses for 6 months and then come back.

I'm looking forward to seeing which of them gain the quarantine 15, and which ones will be GLOWING having been unable to get hold of any GACK in lockdown.

I struggle to root for anyone in UK other than Tia and looking at her Instagram she’s still as ropey so I’m not expecting a huge improvement after the break.

I actually think this is a great season of US (last season had potential but due to the editing it just felt a bit off). So many iconic queens (Tamisha, Symone, Utika, Olivia) and a trio of villains to hate.

I definitely look forward to the UK series more than the US. I’m chomping at the bit at 6:55 on a Thursday evening but sometimes forget about the US one until Sunday.

The fact that Tia is the breakout star of the UK version says a lot about the calibre of British drag. We prefer a loveably busted bitch, rather than a fierce queen on Team Talent.

I feel like the the talent IS to come come with Tia, but infortunately I reckon the writing is already on the wall for her this season. She's undoubtedly been a gigantic fan favourite. But I doubt producers will have foreseen this, and won't be making any effort to keep her. It does feel like she's circling the drain now.

But the reaction to her as the season has aired will ensure that - in the immortal words of every reality TV eliminee ever - we haven't seen the last of her yet.

Actually, Tia really is so wonderfully basic, that I wouldn't be surprised if those were indeed her parting words :disco:

I imagine the producers WILL have foreseen her being a fan favourite - they watch the same confessionals the rest of us do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom