A Song For Europe 1987 Rewatch (15/08 23.30 BST)

Starting. There is going to be Wogan in this. There's no way to avoid it.

That parting is inching ever earwards, Terry.

The sound isn't great, is it? That's fortunate.

The first two minutes of this video were watchable but Wogan seems to be departing ever further under the sea.

I don't think I knew that Rikki was a guy. Because why would you.

Anyone happy to use the name 'Rikki' deserves universal scorn.

He says 'experienced songwriters and musicians' like it's an apology.

I have several questions about the internal consistency of running from the lion within.

It's like if Brian May had decided to abandon being a musician and take up a career spaying cats.

A song featuring Jimmy Savile playing the mouth organ is now comfortably in the top half. I may be developing Stockholm syndrome.

I would not have expected a song called 'Too Hot To Handle' to be a doo-wap ballad. Just goes to show.

Apparently the songwriter of this also wrote Japanese Boy and a few hits for Shakin Stevens, including Merry Christmas Everyone.

Apparently the songwriter of this also wrote Japanese Boy and a few hits for Shakin Stevens, including Merry Christmas Everyone.
It's not like he would get much from the royalties for 'Too Hot To Handle'.

Oh, what fresh hell is this? I think I might be becoming racist just on account of this song.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Ian Prince should definitely go back to where he came from.

This really is the worst selection I've ever heard. I'd hoped there may have been a miscarriage of justice, but seemingly not.

It really is. I'm going to finish it, just so that if anyone ever suggests watching it in the future, I can say, "no, it's fucking shit" with sufficient enthusiasm.

Wogan was clearly awful, but you have admire his professionalism when faced with this crap.

I guess this is tolerable if you like painfully eighties synths and a singer who looks and sounds like Grace Jones after an acid attack.

In fact, in a different context I could quite enjoy it.

'When you've heard all ten songs, we'll take a reflective pause'.

I bet the Samaritans were busy that night

Now we have a man whose sole reason for existence was to show Michael Bolton what not to do.

Heavy Pettin'

Do we really need to listen to this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom