A thread for experimental, obscure and really interesting electronic music

Not sure where to put this, so this thread will have to do. There’s a hint of ELO to these ears on the vocal front. NO BAD THING

Also I’m enjoying this noise and the whole album in general

Am really liking the whole Oneohtrix Point Never Album now. This one in particular brings to mind Boards of Canada (or thereabouts) shot through with (obscure reference alert) Grandaddy‘s Arm Of Roger album :disco:

Daniel Lopatin annoys me a bit and I can't quite put my finger on why. I think it's because he (sort of) invented vaporwave, a crime which should see him at The Hague. Him and James Ferraro. So much to answer for.

I‘ve previously been a bit suspicious of him for reasons unclear but this album is really speaking to me, a statement which I’m sure nobody will find at all pretentious :tongueout:

Also, no guest spots from old Horsey McHonky ANOHNI, thank God

OMG another new The Bug album coming. This time with FEMALE VOCALS for the fickle gays in here. When will your fave be this prolific and this good?

The Bug aka Kevin Richard Martin, and Berlin based, American producer/vocalist, Dis Fig aka Felicia Chen, refer to their style on the album In Blue as ’Tunnel Sound’. A foggy, melancholic meltdown of narco-dancehall, zoned soul and dread drenched, electronic dub.

Almost 2 years of lab exchanges finally led to the deeply sensual pulsations, and lyrical long shadows of In Blue - an album that shares shades of King Midas Sound’s wrecked lovers rock, alongside the bass immersion that The Bug has become infamously known for. So it’s appropriate that Martin should return to Hyperdub, where “Skeng” was initially dropped as a single. And just as Martin took a stylistic swerve on this album, so did Chen. Previously known for experimental noise onslaughts and emotional exorcisms, she herein, opts for threatening intimacy and hushed confessionals, concentrating on bittersweet vocals and seductive surprises that are all the more potent for their inferred narratives and delicate delivery.

Mixed entirely during lockdown in Kevin’s new Brussels home, the sense of claustro-fear, escapism and tension is palpable. And with the bewitching croon of Dis Fig, directing the flow, carnality and violence merge under the turbulent, cinematic surface of this hypnotically addictive album.

Releases November 20, 2020

The first two songs released are WONDERFUL as expected.

What age is Kevin Martin now? There's no DOB on his Wikipedia but he's been on the go for an age. He must be in his 60s.

I have no idea but he had his first child in 2014 if it’s of any help.

The only reason I knew that is because he made an album about it. It seems the birth and indeed the sprog's early life were touch and go.

Charles Webster just released his first album in 19 years. Some fans of this thread might like:

I'm just writing a review up now, I'm a bit late.

I did cover The Spell a while ago though, with its amazing Burial remix and very good club version.

The Second Spell is basically that but beatless.

Burial’s real name is William too.:o

Also his surname is Bevan so they both have the same initials :shock:

However I do know it’s not the same person because I’ve seen William Basinski live and he has a different face :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m thinking that ‘O, My Daughter...’ is suitable as a soundtrack for being murdered in Ostkreuz in Berlin rather than our previously discussed death hotspots of choice in the more dismal and grotty ends of East London

Please, This Shit Has Got To Stop was a bold name choice. Unfortunately, I liked it so I can't even make a joke about the title

It made me feel more dead inside than murdered though

Please, This Shit Has Got To Stop was a bold name choice. Unfortunately, I liked it so I can't even make a joke about the title

It made me feel more dead inside than murdered though

If you mean that it made you feel like you were DYING INSIDE then I say JOB DONE and chapeaux off to William :disco:

Reactions: RJN
Listening to the whole William Basinski album now :disco:

96bzVrC.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom