ABBA - [The self-titled album] Sync Listen

Pingu

Noot noot
Another ABBA album on the virtual decks tonight, to be revealed just before 7.

Really interested to hear what people think of this perhaps less discussed album from their back cat, so I hope you'll join me later!

@lolly @Tisch @Iguana @Jark @Ag @Suedey @octophone @Diddy @dUb @Christian @Madison @Suomi @HerSereneHighnessAnniFrid @David 5000 @COB @ZenGiraffe @Sheena @Lockhart @Barnacle @Gangsta Nancy Lam @ButterTart @VoR @Penelope @Tetris-Rock

It’s ABBA!
1642531781560.png

The self-titled 3rd album is something of a transitional album for ABBA, because although it features a few ropey efforts you would expect a Eurovision-winning group in the 70s to follow up with, and traces of their early desire to be more of a glam rock group, it does also feature early examples of the sparkling, glossy pop that would define the rest of their 70s career and the first songs that saw them properly taken seriously by critics.

They weren’t quite in world domination territory yet, but there are clear signs that they’re heading in that direction, and with B&B finally realising that the vocal duties are much better handled by A&A, the pieces of the ABBA we know and love were falling into place by this point.

The original 11-track album is on the decks tonight along with two other tracks recorded during this period that have since been added to the deluxe edition.

Some all-time ABBA classics are in here along with some genuine career low points – I hope you’ll join me for the ride!

Playlist below, which we're doing on YouTube tonight, but if you'd rather be down with the kids and listen on Spotify, just look for the Bonus Track version (not the deluxe one with all the foreign language cuts on it).

Hit play at 7!

Last edited:
Really interested to hear what people think of this perhaps less discussed album from their back cat, so I hope you'll join me later!
[smash cut to opening notes of I Still Have Faith In You at 7pm]

Thanks mystery person who pinned this.

Who’s with me tonight for some basic ABBA before the basic flags? :disco:

I have had one song from this album in my head all day and it's not one I'd be happy to admit to outside of this safe space.

Mamma Mia is a LIFE AFFIRMING CAREER SAVING CAREER DEFINING XYLOPHONE PLONKING BANGER

for such an overplayed song that's also dangerously fun for the locals, I really enjoy Mamma Mia a lot. not a go-to but she's a classic.

for such an overplayed song that's also dangerously fun for the locals, I really enjoy Mamma Mia a lot. not a go-to but she's a classic.
My thoughts exactly. I really appreciate it afresh from time to time.

Also I'm loving the 4K music video that was definitely never intended to be in 4K.

This one sounds ROCKIER than I expected from a song with the name HELEN in the title.

Can't help but feel the lyrics have slightly AGED in this one.

While Hey Hey Helen has some irresistible moments it's not quite cut from the cloth as the other bangers on the album. It's classic ABBA b-side (was it, I can't recall).

Musically though it's one of the times ABBA kind of got away with doing the rockier thing.

Hey, Hey Helen is quite nice I guess!

09 Mamma Mia
07 Hey, Hey Helen

They're really genre-hopping on this one.

The Swedish penchant for cod reggae really is a bit awkward with the distance of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom