AJ and the Queen (RuPaul Scripted Netflix Show)

That tweet isn't working for me. So have this

Knowing Ru's aversion to actually dragging up these days, and the strenuous hours involved in shooting and re-shooting a TV show, I'm fully expecting there to be three scenes of RuPaul in drag in this.

The roadkill she's turned into an ensemble isn't exactly "everything". A trailer would have been good. And yes, I would have hoped for Merle to have been given a call since she is a bestselling ghostwriter.

So despite Ru “accidentally” talking about it about 300 times, especially on the damned podcast, not THAT much has leaked about her new vehicle “AJ and the Queen” until the trailer properly appeared today:

Anyone interested? It’s fairly flimsy at first look, and the fact the trailer is concentrating on the odd camp line rather than any DRAMATIC ACTING ABILITY probably says it’s going to be a Hurricane Bianca-esque cash in, but let’s see, shall we...

Somewhat surprisingly I think it looks good! I'll definitely be watching after seeing the trailer.

I can’t decide. I don’t think it looks great, but I’ll certainly give it a go, yeah.

I could learn to love Ru (again).

If there isn't a tic tac scene and hammed up face slap I'll be disappointed though.

I'll certainly give it a go. The trailer offers me significantly more hope than say Hurricane Bianca.

Well that looks so much better than I thought it would

This starts on Friday. I intend to go in. Is it all episodes at once, does anyone know?

Not a single review- is that usual for Netflix or are they holding it back from a likely critical mauling?

It's not looking good...

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jan/10/aj-and-the-queen-review-rupaul-netflix
(2/5)

https://variety.com/2020/tv/reviews/rupaul-aj-and-the-queen-review-1203426120/
("Unfortunately, Netflix's “AJ and the Queen” has little to recommend it other than Ru himself, bringing to bear the star's charisma on a tonally uneven, shaky story and trusting that glamour will carry the day. Even RuPaul has his limitations.")

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a30453688/aj-and-the-queen-review-rupaul-netflix-season-1/
("As much as it pains us to say it, AJ and the Queen fumbles the crown more than we would like. Charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent are all present and accounted for, but at times, a lack of talent in some key areas makes the show feel more like a Roxxxy Andrews verse than a winner (baby).")

Last edited:
Oh dear. I read that digital spy review this morning and it suggests the show gets better as it goes on. The guardian review doesn’t really do that though.

Poor MAMA RU probably thought this would be the start of his acting EGOT

It doesn’t seem like Ru is the problem, though. Rather the script/story.

There's a new album today as well. I'm assuming by choosing to release it today (and the reference to Ruby) some of it is featured in the show.

So watched the first episode and it’s silly, badly acted in a LOT of places, the queens are jammed in in a way that’s (mostly) appalling and with some terrible, clunking dialogue.

I thoroughly enjoyed it :D

I like the London hook, Blessed is vaguely Roger Sanchez sounding and Ruby is okay, but the rest sounds like his worst music since the 90s.

Just been listening to Ru and Raven discussing season two on What's The Tee :eyes:

This is actually not bad at all. Expecting the worst, having no standards and finding Ru rather skin crawling out of drag (god bless him) really helped with the mild surprise. The cops and blind stick touching the past-out hooker's heel felt like Titus Andromedon adventures, and I hope to see more of it.

For all of her talk on the podcast of really trying to learn and act and having worked so hard, surprisingly, I actually think Ru is QUITE GOOD in this.

I’m into it! It’s clunky AF and honestly for the most part just feels like Ru wanted the chance to live her best life and pay homage to some of her faves... but it’s pretty good hangover tv.

The kid ranges from awful to amazing but my favourite part is seeing Ru be more of an actual person, being less wooden and seeing her with some of the Drag Race Queens on this type of level is really quite fascinating for some reason.

I think the problem with the kid isn't an acting one, it's a scripting/ direction one. Someone has decided "Annoying"= "Loud and shouty". I'm only three episodes in but the scenes so far in which she's played it down are far more palatable. As for Ru, I think he does really well in the acting scenes but I would question how great a lip syncer he would be, funnily enough! In a real life situation that is.

I'm really interested as to whether this will be a success- I know early reviews weren't great, but the fans seem to like it.

This is shit but I'm totally hooked. Nice to see her doing actual drag.

I mean, it’s not IBSEN, but it’s perfectly acceptable as a lightweight bit of trash.

I got through this flawed piece of shit and I can't wait for a season 2.

Taking Ru away from the script writing would have done wonders.

I'm eight episodes into this now. I can't decide if it's good shit, bad shit or shit shit, but I'm enjoying it.

Oh, and Josh Segarra in/up/down me now.

I'm eight episodes into this now. I can't decide if it's good shit, bad shit or shit shit, but I'm enjoying it.

Oh, and Josh Segarra in/up/down me now.

It’s a mix of all three I’d say. I thoroughly enjoyed myself

This is as corny, clunky and campy as I expected it to be, and I love it!

There is something very clunky about it all, but it’s endearing nonetheless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom